PDA

View Full Version : When do eastern Cod spawn?

Kuhlia_R
20-03-2005, 07:48 AM
Would somebody please enlighten me on the spawning season of our eastern cod species, as Im about to do some river creek exploring and do not want to create an impact. are there any regulations on the subject that I should be aware of. any insight would be most apreiciated, thanks. I dont wish to tell my locations untill all is made clear. As Im more concernd about the fish's wellfare than My personal pleasure...

Kuhlia_R
21-03-2005, 06:08 AM
Researched the subject, found out that cod spawn during spring-summer periods coinciding with flooding and water temps above 16c. sugested season is between Sep-Nov though Im unsure if it applies to all states. I explored the upper Stanly Rv which flows directly into Somerset Dam, but cant say that there was much life there, plenty of structure however the water hight and flow was pathetic pobably due to agricultural practices. Some Crimson spot rainbow fish were there which is reasuring, as Im not happy with the constant spread of Gambusia (Mosquito fish) in our water ways. Information was sourced from (Field guide to the freshwater fishes of Australia. G.R Allen, S.H Midgley, M. Allen.) A great book which I recommend to all Keen fresh water fishing enthusiasts.

Paul_C
21-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Kuhlia_R,

I don't think that you'll be finding any Eastern Cod in the Stanley River, I am a member of SWFSA and to the best of my knowledge, our assc has only ever put Mary River Cod into Somerset / Stanley River and I believe that there is another group stocking a weir higher up in the range with MRC. I released 100 Saratoga fingerlings into the river at Villeneuve a couple of weeks ago and hopefully the pelican hanging around didn't get too many of them.

Paul Cade

McCod
21-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Is a few big Mary River Cod that i know of up the top of Stanley
One has been caught 2 times in last 12 months that i know of.
Fish of aprox 30 lb!.Just hope she or he keeps getting let go.
Good bass & Yella's up there too!
Cheers Les.

Kuhlia_R
22-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I was at the most upper reaches of Stanley Rv near 'commisioners flat' with no sight of any big fish. How far, or better yet the average proximity\Location might I get into casting distance of some of these fish mentiond, more notably the bass and yella's. Lets keep that 30lb'der a secret shall we...

bobby777888
23-03-2005, 04:03 PM
obi obi creek ( near baroon pocket dam) contains some massive cod ( fish that i have SEEN and not caught) i have seen mary river cod there i would estimate to be well over
35lb.

Kuhlia_R
24-03-2005, 04:55 PM
You do relize that that area is fishing prohibited both the upper Obi (creek that flows into Baroon P and the 'Narrows' creek that flows out of the dam are strictly look but dont touch locations. and yes the ranger does patrol the areas ocassionaly so please dont tempt fate. I am aware of these areas holding fish and have heard the tales coming from irasponsible anglers which makes me hang my head in shame as it gives those fishermen who respect and conserve a bad reputaion...

bobby777888
01-04-2005, 07:41 AM
never fished there before and i never will. i am a responsible angler.

spook
29-06-2005, 04:15 PM
I am not ashamed to say I have fished and caught them in Obi Obi, but let me clarify, as a former founding member of AFSAQ, now FFSAQ, A couple of friends and myself went up there to verify if they still existed in the system as well as check out a few other tributary's, this was all before the restrictions were put in place. Actually this was even before they were even recognised as a separate species. Thart day My friend caught an 8 kg Cod and along with 3 other smaller Cod all were released unharmed.
I can't speak for the others as i have not had contact with them for years, but I for myself imposed a personal ban on fishing there again long before the bans were put in place. We had done what we had set out to do, prove that they still existed there!
It is a very fragile system, and they cop enough stress with having to contend with reduced water flows, and low temps from the Dam upstream. As well as increased competition from Stocked Bass escaping from the dam.

spook
04-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Kuhlia_R, If you are still interested to know a few facts about Mary River Cod, have a read of this. (The present knowledge of reproduction and early life history of the Mary River cod is based on experience with captive fish in hatcheries. There are no recorded observations of the spawning behaviour of wild fish, and no studies into reproductive physiology have been conducted. Most information has come from the work of Gerry Cook at a fish hatchery in Cooroy. The following section summarises Gerry's experiences with cod breeding over the last twenty years.
Mary River cod form pairs and spawn annually around spring. The male selects and guards the nest site, which is a hollow pipe or purpose-built nesting box in hatchery ponds. It is therefore presumed that hollow logs are used as nests in the wild. Spawning takes place soon after the water temperature rises to 20C, and may involve considerable aggression between the spawning pair. The female is frequently injured before she can escape the guarding male. The eggs are deposited as a layer inside the nest where they adhere to the hard surface of the pipe or log, although they are sometimes scattered around the nest site following fighting. The opaque eggs which measure 3.0 - 3.5 mm in diameter are guarded by the male. Hatching commences towards the end of the fourth day at 21C, and is usually completed by the end of the seventh day. Newly hatched cod larvae are 5 - 7 mm long. The male continues to guard the brood until they disperse to search for food around seven to nine days after hatching. The fecundity of Mary River cod is not well known, but experience suggests that around 2000 eggs per kilogram of the females weight can be expected. Some females may spawn more than once in a season. Mary River cod fry may grow to 50 mm in less than 10 weeks in plankton-rich hatchery ponds. They are harvested for stocking at 30 to 50 mm, by which time they are aggressive predators.
It is not known if Mary River cod will breed in impoundments, however breeding success and recruitment among impoundment populations of other Australian percichthyid fishes is often very low or non-existent (Barlow, 1991). Natural spawning of Mary River cod in hatchery ponds at least suggests that there is a potential for impoundment populations to become self-sustaining, given that suitable conditions are provided.) Got this from a DPI web site, Gerry Cook is probably one of the most experienced people I know on Cod breeding. Have been through his Hatchery a few times, as well as had a few conversations with him.

HORTO
02-10-2005, 11:58 PM
the breeding season is definately in spring/summer when the water temp rises to 16 degrees, i've seen and caught a few of these fish though whilsit fishing for bass i'm not really willing to state exactly where but its pristene and a fair paddle.

Fitzy
05-10-2005, 07:02 AM
but let me clarify, as a former founding member of AFSAQ, now FFSAQ,
Hi Spook,
Just to let me clarify, AFSAQ & FFSAQ are two separate bodies. AFSAQ is no more for what ever reasons.

Cheers,

gf