PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP with dam stocking

bobby777888
27-02-2005, 04:32 PM
i would like some yellowbelly or bass for my dam and i live in capalaba in brisbane. Who do i need to contact in order to get some? how much do they cost? how many will i need as my dam is about 50 meterss in diameter?...

bobby

charexblue
06-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi Bobby ,
a dam in capalaba :) ok maybe you do 8)
sorry being ??? Depends on depth of dam and volume of water1 meg 4 meg or greater / ability to maintain oxygen ?
i would browse DPI web for answers and they would also have list of aquaculturists near you / i believe for YB around Ipswich area/ a dam reasonable size of say 4 meg could handle 30 or forty larger yb's comfortably/ without going intensive farming
cheers Peter

bobby777888
07-03-2005, 04:52 PM
thanks alot fot that buddy - i thought i was gonna wait weeks for a reply - i guess not many people use this board

southernson
18-10-2005, 06:00 PM
go to www.ausyfish.com.au.
Hes a fish hatchery in childers. Im sure he could work out transport. Thinkin of puttin some barra etc into dam at home. Bout 5ha in size, 130mgl.
Cheers

bassey
13-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I'm in coastal northern NSW with Oz Bass in one dam and hoping to stock another dam soon. #I like the Bass, they do well, but am wondering if Eel Tail Catfish would be an option and whether or not the two would be compatable.

blue-mako
01-05-2006, 09:06 PM
i personal wudnt go near any eat tailed catfish they arnt rely a sporting fish if u plan on catching them id say go some barra more bass or saratoga even

blue-mako
01-05-2006, 09:08 PM
and bobby when those golden perch and bass get big ill pay u to fish ur dam! :P haha if thats ok with u that is

bassey
02-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the information. #Barra sound good, don't know much about Saratoga.

mulisha
02-05-2006, 08:42 PM
i would like some yellowbelly or bass for my dam and i live in capalaba in brisbane. #Who do i need to contact in order to get some? how much do they cost? how many will i need as my dam is about 50 meterss in diameter?... <br><br>bobby

mulisha
02-05-2006, 08:45 PM
hey guys how do u go a bout pellicans and shags tho????

andrew73
11-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Mulisha ,

Standard practice is is to stock a few more fingerlings.

The recomended stocking rates for farm dams is 200 fingerlings per acre of dam surface area, the reason being that it is the surface area of the dam the governs the productivity of a dam in that the larger the surface area the larger the area exposed to light which increases phytoplankton production, which then increases zooplankton production and so on up the food chain.

The stocking rate of 200 fingerlings pre acre of surface area applies to smaller species such as Bass, GPs, SP etc. but for a larger species such as barra i would recomend half that rate ie 100 per acre instead the reasoning behind this is that bass etc top out their growth at about 4 to 5 kgs where as barra who knows 50+kgs i have even heard figures such as 70 to 80 kg which i think is actually possible scarry huh.

Sorry for the long responce i hope it has been of some help

Andrew 73

Richard
17-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi Bobby,

Just a note - I'd steer clear of barra down where you are. The water temp will get too cold overnight in a dam that size and the fish will end up dying or succuming to disease problems.

There is a pamphlet put out by the DPI&F showing you which species would be most suitable for which areas. If you give the Call Centre a call on 13 25 23 they will be able to get one of those to you and put you in touch with someone who you can talk to if you want further info (such as hatcheries, etc).

Richard

Kuhlia_R
23-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Ok i Hope i shed some light on the subject.
depending on where u are situated the species availabe for stockink are limited firstly if your dam is situated in a catchment area then yoy should always source stock from local aquaculture farms where the broodstock used are are collected from your area/region.
also the species that can tolerate your climatic conditions must be taken into account.
Now to the topic of the actual dam. depth is vital and should be more then 1m deep, as attacks from predatory birds will totally desimate your stock period.
as a general rule 1m3/cubic meter will acomadate 1 fish without the aid of mechanical airation.
the spillway in the dam should be constructed so that in when it overflows the fish cannot escape, rocks or mesh depending on overflow type.

Well no u might want to consider adding some snags and vegitaion to your private fishery, vegitation will help control nutrient levels and provide habitat for aquatic insects aswell as shelter for your fish. aquatic plants that grow underwater will also contribute to day time increases in dissolved oxygen and decreases during the night so a balance should be achieved. plants such as waterlilies will effect dissolved oxygen to the same extent as the leaf suface floats above the water, yet they still use the nutrients in the water therfor maintain nutrient levels.
snags such as rocks, logs and whatever else that will not effect or add unwanted chemicals will be crucial to the well being, reducing stress on the fish. I sugest getting an aquarium test kit so u can maintain the water quality of your dam mainly regarding PH and nitrates/nitrites.

Ok so your dams looks shmick and healthy,teaming with little crawlies/insects which will feed your new fish(nothing worse then fish dieing from starvation) and you got the number of fish plus a few extra to acomadate for mortalities. i recomend getting yearlings over fingerlings as the survival rate imporoves. do not just dump them in you should first match the temperature with the dam and the vessle they cam in so that your fish do not die from temperature shock. this is dont bu placing the whatever the fish came in (usually a plastic bag fill with 50/50 water/oxygen in the dam.

Fresh water catties are great fish to have due to the benthic feeding they will maintain the bottom of your dam, i wouldnt stock it with to many just a few. I also think they can provide a dogid tussle when caught especially when over the 2kg mark.

it would pay to visit the DPI website to see species for stocing suitable to your area before purchasing any stock.

If you hae any more questions I'll be happy to respond.
Kind regards, Kuhlia R