PDA

View Full Version : What species would you like to see more of

jimbolikes_barra
17-11-2005, 07:14 PM
what species of fish if any would u like to see more of in lenthals dam

jimbolikes_barra
17-11-2005, 07:21 PM
hi my name is james and im part of the fraser coast stocking group and new member of ausfish
just asking this question because there is a lot of confusion beecause its a great bass and barra fishery and i know i'd like to see more barra in there.... what do you think?

darryl_l
17-11-2005, 07:34 PM
James,

Looking at the ability of Monduran to sustain both Bass and Barra it would seem that the two can co-habitate quite well so it would seem that, so long as it is done wisely, stocking more Barra in Lenthels would be a good move.

There are certainly plenty of people willing to spend money chasing them (including me) what with lures fuel new rods reels etc. This can only help the local economy of the surrounding area.

Darryl L

DNO40
17-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Like Darryl said. :)

There are a lot of people that are hooked on Barra fishing and unfortunately we fall into that category Darryl. #:-/ ;)

DNO

Reidy
17-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Hey mate I have to be honest, me and a mate went up there with all intentions of bass, but the thought of a barra was much more of a drawcard, so close to home, i would love to see more Barra in there as it is a truely great dam and I love the trip in to it with the dirt road makes you feel a millon miles away.

;)Barra ;) They are the best, Maby the mangrove jacks there doing it in Awoonga, they are right up there too

Cheers

ianh
17-11-2005, 09:44 PM
The idea of Barra sounds good particularly so local...

bazza_mundi
17-11-2005, 09:51 PM
the stocking assoc. (i'm also a member aswell as jimbolikes_barra) has put in 6000 50mm fish today so the future is looking good.

DNO40
17-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Good stuff Bazza_mundi.

It can only get better from here on in.

DNO

bazza_mundi
18-11-2005, 09:08 AM
How ya goin James, thanks for going fishing with me today, gotta love waking up at 2:30am.

Catch up with ya over the holidays

I believe that we need to keep a balance between the species but I would like some more BARRA and possibly some southern Saratoga.

Cheers
bazza_mundi

devocean
18-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Dog tooth tuna (only joking but it would be nice)

Billo
18-11-2005, 02:19 PM
nice dev ...i would say Longtail. .. ;D ;D ;D

don't care where ....anywhere ...give me blue !

Spaniard_King
18-11-2005, 06:56 PM
How about HOO on spin gear :)

Garry

JB
18-11-2005, 07:18 PM
big snapper on plastics offshore :)

tshort
30-06-2006, 05:50 AM
I know the areas about the southern limit for native Barra but are Bass native to the area?

gidget
30-06-2006, 07:50 PM
In lenthall's , lots more barramundi till it's guaranteed to catch metre plus on surface lures/fly every visit .

Fitzy
01-07-2006, 07:49 PM
I know the areas about the southern limit for native Barra but are Bass native to the area?
Hey Mate,
Dont be fooled, Barra are/were native much further south than Fraser Island. They have been captured in Moreton Bay & that was well before artificial breeding & stocking of them occured.
I'm not aware of any bass being in the Burrum River however. I've seen the caught in the Isis & Gregory Rivers which isnt that far south from the Burrum. The official northern range of bass is Noosa.

Fish dont recognise borders or listen to what DPI tell them to do.

Apparently River Blackfish havent been in the northern Murray/Darling Drainage (except for 1 small moutain creek) since the last ice age. But they just found some in the Beardy River recently. Go figure...

Experts aint always right...........................!!!!! ;)

Fitz..

Matthias
13-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I would like to see a dam with only jacks. :) And lots of em..

Pete.

tshort
15-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks Fitzy, stocking both is a good idea then. Are there any fishways that are proven to work yet where fish that require travel form fresh to salt or vice-versa to breed (or whatever it is they do).

Obi___Wan
27-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Just more Barramundi and Bass until the recommended stocking levels are reached and then maintained forever!

John.

Bronson
09-10-2006, 07:58 PM
i would like to see a dam stocked near the gold coast with only barra mangrove jacks and saratoga

but this is more a dream then a answer to a question asked because there is not much luck in this happening any time soon

bronson

Kendall249
11-10-2006, 12:18 AM
There have numerous report of large jacks ( 600mm) in the freshwater parts of Ross River in Townsville. If barra are being put into southern freshwater dams, it would be good to see jacks being stocked. Might result in a higher loss rate of lures though ;D.