PDA

View Full Version : Barra in SE Qld

Randall
30-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Been meaning to see for a while what the Ausfish family think about the subject.

Randall.

Zeeke
30-04-2004, 07:35 AM
you know me Randall, u speak Barra and i sit up and listen.. id love to see Barra down here, im yet to tackle one of these fine sportsfish and if i didnt have to travel 5hrs to tangle them, it'd be great.. and im not really into fishing in a pond like at the Barra Park down the road from me.. stocked but wild barra are the go!

Tim

bugman
30-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Would have to be the most biased poll I've ever seen in my entire life Randall.

Bring it on I say - I'm expecting 100% in favour. What are fishermen meant to do I ask you.

Bugman

beefaman
30-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Load em up and let the fun begin ;D

Duncs
30-04-2004, 08:37 AM
And throw some Jacks in too! ;D ;D

Brissyguy
30-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Go you good things [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

jimbamb
30-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Let em loose in the Darling...They should thrive on those mongrel carp and redfin the Victorians let loose years ago If only we could get em to eat canetoads!!! .Maybee rabbits an foxes too #??????
WE better educate em not to eat yellas and murray cod tho...

caveman
30-04-2004, 04:15 PM
WELL IF THEY BRING THE BARRA DOWN HERE WHAT EXCUSE WILL WE HAVE TO TRAVEL NORTHWARDS FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO GET AWAY FROM ALL THE ANOYING THINGS THAT LIFE HAS TO THROW AT US I.E. WOORRKK ;D ;D ;D

CHEERSS GARY

SWFSA
30-04-2004, 05:13 PM
The Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assn's official policy is to persue a trail stocking of barramundi in Somerset or Wivenhoe for a defined period with strict performace indicators in place. If at the end of the trial period it is found that barramundi are not suitable, or are not giving an adequate returns to anglers a full blown stocking program wont be under taken.
Without approval from QFS & SEQWcorp (who take thier fisheries policy advice from QFS ::) ), no trial can be undertaken. All local councils, a large amount of businesses and many many anglers in the region are supportive of a trial.

It is SWFSA's position that the QFS' Translocation Policy is unworkable & unreasonable. If the Recreational Fisheries Enhancement Program was just beginning now, there is not one species currently stocked that would pass all of the selection criteria.
It is utterly rediculous that we have non-native, introduced, pest fish breeding at will in these lakes & QFS are not fullfilling their roll to erradicate or control the pests, yet a native fish, which cannot breed in these lakes that can help control the pests isnt allowed to be stocked.

SWFSA Inc.
Stocking Lake Somerset, Lake Wivenhoe, Atkinsons Dam, Swanbank Lake & tributaries.

lordy
30-04-2004, 05:33 PM
WELL IF THEY BRING THE BARRA DOWN HERE WHAT EXCUSE WILL WE HAVE TO TRAVEL NORTHWARDS FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS TO GET AWAY FROM ALL THE ANOYING THINGS THAT LIFE HAS TO THROW AT US I.E. WOORRKK ;D ;D ;D

# # # # CHEERSS GARY

Yeah but think of the poor Northerners that could come south to escape such trials and tribulations.

Bonefisher
30-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Thumbs up from here too.

Sure would prefer fishing time to driving time.

Cheers,

Birdy
01-05-2004, 04:35 AM
Randall,

Bring it on and let the fun begin.I find the reasons behind the no-barra in SEQ policy quite strange and it seems to me that these same reasons are in fact a cover for a much more political stance to keep the barra in NEQ for all time.The introduction of a top end predator into Lake Wivenhoe in particular is the answer to begin to combat the ever growing population of ferral fishs that are going to choke this wonderful lake and leave a massive expanse of water dedicated to declared pests.For the life of me I can't see why the powers that be can't wake up and see what needs to be done, listen to the majority,set the polical agenga aside and fix Wivenhoe.Having said that I know that the majority would have barra everywhere and that can't happen but this lake needs a top end predator.

Birdy

Randall
01-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Birdy....I think you may have hit the nail on the head mate. There are a few groups around who will not prosper from Barra heading south!!!!

Interesting to see so far how many anglers want em here!!

Randall

Randall
01-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Would have to be the most biased poll I've ever seen in my entire life Randall.

Bring it on I say - I'm expecting 100% in favour. What are fishermen meant to do I ask you.

Bugman

Hey Bugman....I know mate!!! Silly poll really...who WOULD`NT want Barra here? Then again, someones voted no. Maybe a northern area angler who already has them in their backyard?

Randall

Fitzy
03-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Hey Bugman....I know mate!!! #Silly poll really...who WOULD`NT want Barra here? #Then again, someones voted no. Maybe #a northern area angler who already has them in their backyard?

Randall

Or someone who loves their tilapia fishing in Wivenhoe & is afraid to see them culled. :-/

Fitzy..

Jim_Tait
03-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Hey what gives?? Have the thought police struck or am I just paranoid? What happened to the post I had contributed to this forum? Randall and co, you guys responded to it and now its gone.. was there too much kicking the barra in SE Qld bandwagon with some rational debate for Ausfish moderators to handle or did it just slip throughthe cracks???

Yours faithfully - Jim

Fitzy
03-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Hey what gives?? Have the thought police struck or am I just paranoid? What happened to the post I had contributed to this forum? #Randall and co, you guys responded to it and now its gone.. was there too much kicking the barra in SE Qld bandwagon with some rational debate for Ausfish moderators to handle or did it just slip throughthe cracks???

Yours faithfully - Jim
Not at all Jim,
I think the server had a glitch & it reverted back to the previous back-up. I've been away at Clarrie Hall Dam for a couple of days, but I think there was around 24 hours lost.

Please feel free to post again, your input is always welcome, be it right, wrong or other.
Only time any posts here get deleted is for comercial spamming, swearing or sladerous posts.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Jim_Tait
04-05-2004, 06:16 PM
Phew, thanks for that Fitzy, apologies for my paranoia but given the heat of some past debates you could understand why I may have thought the plug had been pulled on me!

The main points I made in the now missing post were:
1) Barra probably can be stocked in some smaller coastal impoundments without causing ecological catastrophe (in terms of impacts on vulnerable natives) but it is up to the proponents of barra stocking in SE Qld to identify where these sites are and demonstrate how risks could be managed – that would be likely to win officialdom over.
2) Larger rivers in SE Qld including the Mary, Brisbane, Albert, Logan and Cooma all do / did have a natural top order predator – it is the Eastern Cod (bass are right up there as well)– rehabilitation of breeding populations of this species is what we should be aiming for in the freshwater reaches of these river systems, through targeted habitat rehabilitation and stocking (I have undertaken habitat survey work in these catchments – and believe it is achievable) – and this goal should not be compromised by our short term desires to tangle with barra in the backyard.
3) Impoundments on our larger rivers including Big W and Somerset are not the place to stock barra, not even for a trial – these systems have fledgling eastern (Mary) cod populations and connected river reaches and tributary streams. Barra will access these areas especially in the warmer months and hammer the native perchyithids (cod and bass + other species) in these river habitats and the populations in the reservoir itself.
4) Holding a poll on this site about this topic and investing any substance in the findings is like surveying kids at a birthday party what they want to eat and then coming out with findings saying ice-cream is good for you!!

Freshwater fishers are addicted to barra - rightly so – they’re an impressive species (and one that I miss now living in Nthn NSW) but we should not be reckless in what we’ll do to get a fix!

Regards and tight lines – Jim

PS how was the fishing at Clarrie Hall? That’s only about a 20 minute drive over the hill from my place. I’d like to show you some “jungle bass’ in the upper Richmond if you are into walking a creek some time.

dasher
04-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks Jim, a top post mate. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] So OK I can see they would be a prob in rivers, but would the same probs be evident in impoundments?? i.e. choice of co-inhabitants.

Fitzy
04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
The fishing was pretty slow at Clarrie on the weekend. Some good shows on the sounder but everyone did it tough. Think the winner of the comp only caught 5 or 6 legal bass. Biggest for the come was 39 or 40cm. Nothing big but a pretty little lake just the same.
Would be good to see some of that country on the Richmod Jim. Could reciprocate with a mid-Brissy R trip for bass and maybe the odd other fish when you're up this way. :-X
Some of that country below Clarrie (Doon Doon Ck/Upper Tweed) looks very nice. Was thinking of going back down there with a canoe for a paddle/flick come summer.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Fitzy
04-05-2004, 07:05 PM
A senior fisheries researcher told me that in his oppinion, any barra over 3kg going through the flood gates at Wivenhoe would surely be killed.
Not all that likely that any barra under that size would be overly intent upon going down stream.
Same fellow claims that barra wont be able ot breed in the Brisbane system.
All good news to me. (although I dont altogether agree)

If correct, a short term trial cant do any long term damage to the system, if they actually do any damage at all. That is why a trail is needed.

Jim, there's been nothing to report on the Mary's. Same old, same old, except the federal funding for the project got axed. Jerry Cook hatchery is now funded by local council donations, mainly Noosa Shire. And still only the one commercial hatchery (a part timer) is permitted to breed Mary's for sale for stocking. We have money to spend on Mary's & little or no supply. Rediculous really.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Randall
05-05-2004, 03:47 AM
Hi Jim...and thanks for your contributions. It is appreciated.
How paranoid are you!!!! ;D I did`nt know the posts dissapeared until yesterday.

I would encourage you and Garry to get together for a lazy fish on a river somewhere, you both are passionate about this subject, and I have noticed, lately, much more open to each others opinions as well.

Its all good.

Randall.

harryhoy
05-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Post removed at the request of the Member

Jim_Tait
05-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Harry,
certainly agree about leaving Somerset alone, it has some good tributaries including the Stanley River which has some exceptional habitat (& tributaries) capable of supporting cod breeding if we can get the numbers to a stage where they can successfully find enough of each other. It does have a fairly substantial fish passage barrier at Woodford (smaller ones also elsewhere within teh catchment) which fish get past in big floods but probably not too often (needs a verticle slot ladder on it) - But Wivenhoe is also connected to some good quality habitat tribuitaries (ie Byron Ck) and the main (upper) Brisbane River channel itself is not totally beyond repair (in terms of being able to serve cod breeding) - we dont need barra in our big river impoundments - impoundments are connected to rivers & native fish communities!

Apparently the Qld Government was asking lately what fishers would like SIP funds spent on if not fingerlings (Sunshine Connection - Warren Steptoe Column in MF) - how about boosting Mary Cod fingerling production? Just a thought.

Regards - Jim

Fitzy
05-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi Harry,
On what do you base your assumptions that the bass fishery @ Somerset will be "gone forever" in barra are stocked? There are already a few bass/barra mixed fisheries & to date there no indications that bass & barra are interfering with each other. If you got to Monduran, the two species are found in different locations within the lake.
Best time of year for bass is winter, best time for barra is summer. Kind of gets the best out of both seasons.
While we're on it, it is the decision of the relevant stocking group as to what species (of the permitted ones) are stocked in what numbers each year. eg we could decide to stock no bass at all. It all comes down to a show of hands within a committee.
If you wish some input into how, what, where & when I suggest you need to be a member of the relevant stocking group (Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assn Inc in this case) to have any say.
AS president I'd welcome you & anyone else to join & attend meetings to have a say in your own fishing future.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Cloud_9
05-05-2004, 04:44 PM
why not stock both not shore if the mary's eat the catties though.
its such a big waterway how on earth are they going to monitor the barra population????
electronic tags?? too exy isn't it.through a couple hundred thousand fingerlings in they'd disapear into the unknown, it'd be like catching the odd 1 in the noosa river system.
a pointless exercise.
ether stock them or dont

Cheers Cloud 9

Fitzy
05-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi Harry,
On what do you base your assumptions that the bass fishery @ Somerset will be "gone forever" in barra are stocked? There are already a few bass/barra mixed fisheries & to date there no indications that bass & barra are interfering with each other. If you got to Monduran, the two species are found in different locations within the lake.
While we're on it, it is the decision of the relevant stocking group as to what species (of the permitted ones) are stocked in what numbers each year. eg we could decide to stock no bass at all. It all comes down to a show of hands within a committee.
If you wish some input into how, what, where & when I suggest you need to be a member of the relevant stocking group (Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assn Inc in this case) to have any say.
AS president I'd welcome you & anyone else to join & attend meetings to have a say in your own fishing future.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
Jim, as previously mentioned, getting any numbers of Mary River cod just isnt happening & by the looks of it (even after Dr Jackson said there would be action) there's not likely to be. With Dredgie calling the shots on aquaculture & his well known attitude towards fish stocking I'd say we've got buckleys of any improvement in supply. Then again pigs just might fly too.

You mentioned the fish communities within the Wivenhoe & Somerset catchments. Agree on the cod in the Stanley however I'm dubious as to whether any cod eggs could survive the high silt levels, the dads would be working overtime on them. I certainly hope I'm wrong!
The upper brisbane is anothe case. Very little suitable cod country exists in the brisso however the water quality is usually better. Shade & structure are at a premium & weeds have choked most of the upper catchment solid. (see pic of river near Linville. It's like that just about right up from Harlin.

I'd say that putting 4km of rock & concrete across the Brissy river kind of changed the rivers fish communities forever. Add a multitude of introduced pest (that enjoy more protection than natives seem to) & we have a pretty poor situation.
Factor in the almost non-existant Mary Cod supply & angler demand, there's definately scope for some work with barra there. And BTW, if it comes down to barra Vs MRC, you might not like the outcome. It's only a show of hands & some paperwork to have MRCs gone from the catchment for good. Our 1st & foremost resposibility is to the anglers who pay their SIPs etc. Green issues/conservation are a luxury, certainly not a requirement.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/images/BrisRiverLinville.jpg

philip_thomson
05-05-2004, 05:13 PM
i don't spend time doing any fresh water fishing but i have always been interested in barras. i reckon if we could have them stocked down here then it would be great to be able to travel 1-2 hrs to catch barras. however i agree that it could damage the fresh water species already there. although what fish would people rather catch, eat etc barras or bass?

philip

harryhoy
06-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Fitzy - sent you a pm. If anyone else is interested in this post, check this site. Take note of Point 4 in Objective 2.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/far/9227.html

Paul
06-05-2004, 02:55 PM
i

Fitzy
06-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Fitzy - sent you a pm. If anyone else is interested in this post, check this site. Take note of Point 4 in Objective 2.

Hi Harry,
I've read the results of Huchos report & discussed the findings with him.
This report is invalid in regard to Wivenhoe & Somerset as there is a totally different food web compared to the trial locations; Casava Lagoons 1 & 2. In a nutshell, there are no banded grunter, bony bream or tilapia in Casava & there are in S/set & Big W. There is ample proof to show that in lakes with bony bream present, the bony bream make up the majority of the protein intake for most of the predatorial species stocked.
Comparing Casava to Somerset is chalk & cheese. Also knowing where barra & bass like to live within a large lake is a big key. At both of the locations mentioned, it is quite unlikely that bass & barra will be in the same locations/depths/environments within these lakes.
A location like Casava is shallow, non-stratified, significant fringing emergent vegetation with a major protein source that is based upon small gudgeons, shrimps & insects. I'm dont doubt that any predator fish is going to eat anything that it can get in its mouth in an environment with little protein, be that other stocked fish or other.
Locations like S/Set & Big W that are deep, often stratified & hold massive protien source of food in bony bream, tilapia, snub nosed gar, spangled perch, redclaw, banded grunter etc.
Barra are a great predator, but wont go wasting energy chasing a fast & alert fish like bass. Tilapia, bony bream, gar, banded grunter etc a very soft targets & available in large numbers.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

wheels9
06-05-2004, 06:01 PM
I'm ALL for it!!
I am still waiting to actually catch a beautiful barra and need to travel northward to do so which I am hoping to do in Sept?Oct but if I had the chance to do it here....WOOHOOO!! ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BOMBER
07-05-2004, 03:29 AM
Hi All,

Would have to say a very interesting read so far, as I have fished at most of the so called Barra dams in Qld except for Tinnaroo would have to say what a great fishery we could create for this magnificient sportsfish here in SE Qld.
Not only would it create commercial opportunities for guides etc here in the SE but also bring more people to the dams here particularly those who aren't particularly interested in chaseing Bass for one reason or anoher( I don't know too many people who don't get switched on when you mention Barra) would also give a boost to camping grounds and motels in the areas where Barra are stocked, people who may never visit these areas to fish for Bass but drive by to head to Awonga etc would now stop here in the SE instead of pushing the extra 4 hours North to Awonga or further still to those further North.
I see the concern for those who love their Bass fishery and I must say that I too fish for Bass at Wivenhoe, Somerset etc however I also believe in fairness we all pay our sips and I would have to say at present every year I renew mine I tick Barra dams for my funds to be channeled to, as I prefer to fish for Barra at this stage of my fishing life as I feel that there is already an overabundence of Bass dams here in the SE that are being contributed to through the SIPS scheme.
I don't see the harm in stocking Barra as a trial in one dam here in the SE if it is successful in regards to Barra coexisting with Bass or whatever, great we have a great fishery for the 2 best sportsfish of their type (in my opinion) in Australia if it fails well we have our answer.
I will always fish for Barra no matter where I have to travel so this is not an issue for me as I have been doing this anyway for close on 10 years but for those who can't travel YYYYOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOO.
Anyway thats my $4.50 worth and I say BBBRRRRRIIIINNNNGGGGGG IT OOOONNNNNNNNNNNN.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

harryhoy
07-05-2004, 12:43 PM

Fitzy
07-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Fitzy - firstly let me say that I have Somerset in mind.

You have abviously made up your mind that the science is wrong and that barra should be stocked into dams in SE QLD. Surely you must admit that there is a risk, no matter how small you perceive it to be, that barra will dominate any dams where they co-exist with bass.

Lets have a look at Tinaroo. There was once a truckload of sooties in Tinaroo but who's caught one there in the last 2 years?

The fact that there are #species other than bass in the dams probably just means that it will take longer for the bass to be eaten. Like the ad says "It wont happen overnight, but it will happen". I am all for stocking barra in dams in SE Qld but lets not risk the excellent bass fisheries that have been created.

Surely, even the slightest risk that we could lose this fishery will force us to act on the side of caution when it comes to Somerset. Lets stock em in a dam where it doesn't matter if the barra eat all the bass.

Just my opinion.
Harry, I have made up my mind, however not that science is wrong, just that it is invalid if trying to apply the findings from one location on a totally alien environment. You need to be comparing apples with apples. And, just for interests sake I'll add that I've studies the full report, at some length & have discussed it with Dr Hutchison. He agreed when I explained my reservations about making recommendations with limited information. It is a real pity that there wasn't enough funding for a full blown study. What I AM convinced of, is that barra in one SEQld lake should be "trialed" & evaluated.

I'm not sure if you fully realise that bass are stocked into lakes. They cannot breed, there's no fish fairies involved, santa dont bring them, they just dont appear. The fishery is #reliant upon the stocking group to put them there annually.
If that group decide to stop stocking bass, poof, they're gone. Its not as if we HAVE to stock them. These decisions are made by a show of hands, again I'll invite you to play a part in your own fishing future by becoming an active member.
FYI- As it stands, there will be no bass stocked into Somerset or Wivenhoe anyway, until QFS change their policy on Commercial Fishing comps. So I'd say the bass fishery in Somerset is going to take a sharp dive within a few seasons unless QFS pull their fingers out. If you're worried about the Somerset bass fishery, I'd suggest you put pen to paper & get onto QFS to fix thier stuff-up.

Harry, contrary to what some folk may think, stocking group guys aren't rednecks who cry YAHOOOO as we pour fish willy nilly into lakes. We make decisions based upon but not limited to;
-Fingerling cost & availability (bass are far dearer than most)
-Are the likely to escape in a flood (wasted money & resource)
-Will escapees survive?
-Growth rates of fish (bass are the worst)
-Stocking levels (fish:hectare)
-Available food sources (do the fish have enough food?)
-Can the fish breed?
-What is their maximum size potential
-Likely locations the fish will be found (are we utilising all of the lake waters?)
-Angler returns from fish stocked (bass are good in this regard)
-Feedback from anglers & community expectations
-Conservation
-Tourism potential of species
-Pest control

Basically we are the managers of the fishery. If we feel we can provide a better fishery for anglers we will certainly explore that avenue. If that means a well managed trial, we are prepared to go down that path.
It IS the policy of SWFSA Inc to explore the possibility of new species for stocking, not just barra, other possibilities are Jungle Perch, various trevally, Mangrove Jack, tarpon, mullet, milkfish. The group will persue it to see if it is in the fisheries &/or anglers best interests. If it is found that there are more suitable fish species (of which I am certain there is) that can attract more visitors, give better angler returns for $$$ spent or capture a niche market, we will then consider going down that path. Does every lake in SEQ have to be a bass lake? It's like every car on the road being the same color, very ho hum indeed!
I'll take your oppinion of Somerset's bass fishery as a pat on the back, thankyou. SWFSA developed it & manage it. I think SWFSA has a bit of an idea on what they/we are doing after 16 years now. We've created, what we feel, are a couple of Australia's premier freshwater fisheries. We could improve on our record. If we've reached the peak of where our fisheries can develope, then my work & many of my colleagues work is done. We can hang up our hats & walk away.

Tinaroo sooties Vs Barra? Again, you aren't comparing apples with apples. Different location, food web, species, water temps, altitude, rain fall patterns......
Oh yeah, there's been a bit of reasearch on sooties in ponded waters by WA fisheries. The info is on the www if you look around a bit. #;) Better take a look at that before pointing the at barra being the culprits.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Randall
08-05-2004, 04:31 AM
I have a lot of respect for Fitzy personally and professionally. He does his homework and you can rely on the information he has aquired as true and largely unbiased. If Barra were not a good option for a trial in our SE, Fitzy would not be interested in them.

Where is our Peak body that is suposed to be representing us?
Fitz does more for us "Anglers" than any peak body.

The SWFSA are on the ball and always considering new things to improve our fisheries here in the SE corner. Bugger me, they have even set up their own hatchery in Ipswich now to further bolster fish numbers into our dams and to show school kids what is involved in stocking.

Its these guys that we need to be listening to!! They have the runs on the board for responsible stocking and I trust their learned judgement on the Barra issue.

Randall.

adrianw
08-05-2004, 12:15 PM
how do we get a say as to who is on the govening board? and also who has the final say in what species #is allocated to be stocked into our inpoundments?
AW.

harryhoy
08-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Ok Fitzy, I'll not go any further with this. Good luck with all future stockings.

Fitzy
08-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Ok Fitzy, I'll not go any further with this.
Was actually going to say the same thing myself Harry.

Fitzy..

lordy
09-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Ok Fitzy, I'll not go any further with this. Good luck with all future stockings.

I think Fitzy hit plenty of nails on the head, and I won't say much more.

One thing to mention though is that not every Lake in SEQ needs to be a barra lake. SWFSA would like to see a bit more diversity in stocking. Right now its basically 3 species and nothing else: bass-yellows-silvers and that is it. 90-99% of fish stocked come from those 3 groups. 2 of which aren't even eastern waters fish! So much for translocation as an argument.

We have worked hard to get "novelty" species such as Mary Cod and Saratoga going in the dams we stock. We have great hopes for Toga in Atkinsons and eventually a self stocking population in Wivenhow-Somersets. Self stocking is a big plus for this species.

Cod are just impossible to get in significant numbers and less than $2 a pop.

Mullet: not allowed to stock them. The reasons are unknown and it makes no sense not to stock them since they are native to the waters and provide an enviromental benefit.

We think diversity in stocking is a plus not minus. We could see something like this

Somerset: bass-yellows-silvers with a smattering of cod-toga.

Wivenhoe: Barra*-Jacks*-jungle perch*-big eye trevally*-toga.

Atkinsons: toga-based fishery with a smattering of other species.

Add in a smattering of mullet for evironmental reasons and thats a great set of diverse fishing spots. 3 dams, 3 different approaches. Something for everyone.

* not allowed to stock these but they are better fits than silvers and yellows.

harryhoy
09-05-2004, 01:48 PM

lordy
09-05-2004, 05:46 PM
SWFSA meet at Lowood Enterprise Centre on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. Welcome to come along.

Jacks are being trialled in NQ. No valid reason not stock in SEQ as they endemic to the region. Probably 5-10 years away.

J-Ps and Big Eyes: no research money, so no research, so nothing in the near future. 10+ years away at the very least.

Barra: not at the moment.

captainpugwash
10-05-2004, 03:15 PM
i havent fished freshwater at all,but to see those big bitches
caught in the fresh turns me on.yes yes lets fill all fresh water lakes.great photo at start of page well done mate a real nice barra.

Jim_Tait
10-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Lordy's - your cook book approach to species stocking makes my head spin,.. especially love "add in a smattering of mullet for environmental reasons". ???

You SE Qld Barra mob claim to be ecologically aware - but at the end of the day you just see dams as a big puddle of water to turn into your favourite species safari park - stuff the consequences or the fact that dams are connected to rivers which have native inhabitants which may get impacted by what you want swimming around in the dam. Ecology doesn't matter as long as can get a few extra happy campers to give the local economy a tickle and a smorgas board of species to choose from ‘she'll be right mate’.

For Lordy to refer to cod in the Brisbane catchment as a novelty species - is just too much. The fact that very little of the debate on this whole post has even concerned the potential threats a sustained barra population would pose to Eastern Cod a key NATIVE top order predator (endangered in SE Qld) in the system highlights the extent to which most couldn't give a stuff.

If you really did give a stuff, we'd be rehabilitating tributary streams of Wivenhoe and Somerset to the stage where they would support a breeding population of cod and stocking them until we had a viable population to kick breeding off. (And yes Fitzy I do know about the status of these streams I have surveyed the catchment and while many look like the picture you posted - -some don’t - if you want to PM me I can list a number of tributaries – including for Big W in which Cod should currently be able to breed in if they had the numbers).

So what if cod fingerlings are currently $2 a pop - we spend bloody hundreds of millions of dollars on football stadiums fer C..... Sake! Is our interest in our natural heritage and our natural 'sense of place' that poor that we'd rather cash it all in for an exotic fish?? piss poor I reckon and barra are exotic in the upper Brisbane river- guaranteed!

If Mary / Eastern Cod can’t have a future chance in the Brisbane River basin - the largest in their SE Qld range – then where are we going to make the commitment for the species – The Mary River it?

Well congratulations you mob, your pretty much in line with humanity’s general disdain for ecological concerns in the face of immediate consumer desires, which is what is going to send the planet to hell in a hay basket over the next couple of generations unless we turn this ship around.

Its like reading the paper “hey this article says climate change is going to wipe out the barrier reef…too bad hey?,.. then.. look at the add for the V8 ute on the next page – wicked, love one of those, hey darling turn up the air con its getting a bit sticky for an autumn day….Think about it.

lordy
10-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Lordy's - your cook book approach to species stocking makes my head spin,.. especially love "add in a smattering of mullet for environmental reasons". #???

Both sea mullet and freshwater mullet were present in the Brisbane-Stanley systems before the dams blocked their upstream movements. SWFSA have received approaches to restock them for environmental reasons (consume algae and weeds in rivers upstream of the dams) and we think that is a good thing. What reasons do you have against reintroducing mullet to their old habitats?

You SE Qld Barra mob claim to be ecologically aware - but at the end of the day you just see dams as a big puddle of water to turn into your favourite species safari park - stuff the consequences or the fact that dams are connected to rivers which have native inhabitants which may get impacted by what you want swimming around in the dam. Ecology doesn't matter as long as can get a few extra happy campers to give the local economy a tickle and a smorgas board of species to choose from ‘she'll be right mate’.

Explain the fact the Murray cod, silver perch and golden perch were stocked on the eastern side of the range. Explain the fact the QFS has no problem with translocating saratoga. Far less local fish have been transported.

For Lordy to refer to cod in the Brisbane catchment as a novelty species - is just too much. The fact that very little of the debate on this whole post has even concerned the potential threats a sustained barra population would pose to Eastern Cod a key NATIVE top order predator (endangered in SE Qld) in the system highlights the extent to which most couldn't give a stuff.

SWFSA don't stock in the Mary River system, so the Mary River cod can quite happily stay away in the native river. Given the barra were once supposed to have lived in the Brisbane river, why is you object to reintroducing them yet demand protection for the Mary River Cod in the Brisbane system? One reintroduction is OK, one isn't?

If you really did give a stuff, we'd be rehabilitating tributary streams of Wivenhoe and Somerset to the stage where they would support a breeding population of cod and stocking them until we had a viable population to kick breeding off.

SWFSA stock every cod we can get our hands on. How exactly are we supposed to do any more than that? I could turn this around and ask you why you aren't rehabilitating tributary streams of Wivenhoe and Somerset if you care so much?

So what if cod fingerlings are currently $2 a pop - we spend bloody hundreds of millions of dollars on football stadiums fer C..... Sake!

SWFSAs job is to stock dams with angling fish. It is outside our regulated abilities to stock these rivers, ie we can't do it. The best we can do is stick cod in dams, where it is unlikely they will breed. At $2 a fish for a non-breeder its a poor return. Yet we still stock all we can get. So take your argument up with the government.

Is our interest in our natural heritage and our natural 'sense of place' that poor that we'd rather cash it all in for an exotic fish?? piss poor I reckon and barra are exotic in the upper Brisbane river- guaranteed!

Its unlikely barra would spend much time up river as its too cold for them in the shallow streams, leaving it free for cod. A much better use of cod than shoving them in a dam.

If Mary / Eastern Cod can’t have a future chance in the Brisbane River basin - the largest in their SE Qld range – then where are we going to make the commitment for the species – The Mary River it?

They have a place. This isn't an either or situation.

Well congratulations you mob, your pretty much in line with humanity’s general disdain for ecological concerns in the face of immediate consumer desires, which is what is going to send the planet to hell in a hay basket over the next couple of generations unless we turn this ship around.

blah blah blah

Fitzy
10-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Jim,
Riddle me this batman. What chance have Mary River cod got of surviving in the Brisbane River when the Brisbane River cod could not? Add another couple of migration barriers since the BRC carked it, add more catchment degredation, add increased water demands, add more introduced pest fish that are a chance of pretation upon cods eggs/fry/fingerlings (e.g. banded grunter, spanled perch, tilpia, lungfish), at the end of the day I'd like to think we're going to win, but realistically I think we're peeing into the wind with cod. But we arent going to stop trying just yet.

MRC breed in Big W if the numbers were available?
A- the numbers aren't available & are unlikely to ever be. (damn shame)
B- very little chance of it in Big W due to zero suitable nesting sites. (SEQWCorp wont allow artificial nesting sites to be put in the lake) Somerset possibly but the fluctuating water levels & turbid water reduce the odds.
However I'd like to think they can/will/do breed there. I've wasted alot of time, money & effort if they cant/wont/arent.

Barra,,,, exotic to the Brisbane River? I'm not convinced. Even if you're correct they're no more exotic to the "Brisbane River" than the "Mary River" cod.

Barra breeding in the brisbane river if they escape. Not possible according to QFS so that's no issue.

We're a stocking group, primarily for the purpose of creating, managing & developing recreational fisheries. As I stated earlier, conservation is a luxury, not a priority. We try to give it as much consideration as we can, nobody else (including govt bodies) does any on the ground work. If we were fully conservation driven we'd be stocking purple spotted gudgeons etc & killing every bloody bass we could find. While personally sympathetic to such issues, I can't bloody well do everything Jim.

We're a stocking group, not a government agency who can undo a couple of centuries of catchment abuse. We dont have the money, nor the resources to remotely be able to undertake what you describe. I'd like to refer you to the several landcare groups for the catchment (which I've done some work with in the past). I wont sit & cop the wrap for farmer brown & cos poor farming practices.

Were tackling the issues we can when possible;
-Maintaining the current fishery in the face of restricted access & increased angler pressure
-Reduce noxious & pest fish that threaten the recreation fishery
-Develope the recreational fishery
-Promote ethical & sustainable angling practices
-Promote & participate in conservation

Jim I'll ask your oppinion on something. Do you want to see all stocking for recreational fishing stopped within the catchment? What would you have us do about noxious & pest fish species?

Fitzy..

Jim_Tait
10-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Lordy / Fitzy,

Agree mullet are a good idea (have made the same recommendation in a report to DNRM) myself - just laughed about Lordy's good environmental measure throw in a few mullet etc..

I don’t have to provide explanations for past stocking or translocation policies - I didn't support them or practice them!

Barra are WAY MORE EXOTIC to the upper Brisbane than Mary River Cod - Mary Cod, Brisbane Cod, Albert Cod, Logan Cod, Cooma Cod - even bloody Clarence Cod are all part of the same EASTERN COD species complex - genetic work has shown Mary Cod to be the closest living relative of Eastern Cod (Clarence Cod) PM me if you want the reference - so Brisbane Cod would be even more closer - probably just about genetically indistinct and definitely ecologically indistinct. Cod are the NATIVE top order predator of the upper freshwater reaches of the Brisbane catchment.

Rivers are not too cool all year round for barra to go walkabout especially when you get a fresh in summer - I know the species well enough.

Brisbane Cod went into an extinction spiral because of low numbers and poor habitat quality coupled with ongoing high fishing pressure and active catchment degradation until the day they checked out (and perhaps not all of them did - there are still recent records of large fish from the upper Stanley) - today catchment degradation has been halted/stabilised (there is more riparian vegetation cover now on many tributary streams than there was in the 50's, 60's) and can be rehabilitated (landcare revegetation etc) and fishing pressure can be managed through prohibition on taking and ultimately bag limits once populations re-established

The dams may not ever be fully suitable for breeding (artificial substrates could help - water authority red tape can be overcome) but many of the tributary streams are - I already mentioned that in my previous post - some including tribs of Big W have clear water, rocky substrates and perennial pools (PM me) - however dams are suitable deep water habitat to maintain a viable large populations of the species which can access tributary streams

Why am I not working in rehabilitating the Brisbane catchment - well I don't live there for starters - but I have worked there - some of my contributions are in a report to DNRM&E ‘Stanley River and Tributaries River Habitat & Processes Study –Condition and Trend Report (2003) – get a copy FYI and secondly I’m busy in working on rehabilitating Eastern Cod habitat in the catchment where I do live which is the Richmond

Yes, I do support stocking for recreational fishing in dams – species native to the catchment i.e. bass (&cod) are fine. Could even be convinced that barra and some principally estuarine species i.e., jack’s, trevally etc would be Ok in some smaller coastal dams if it could be demonstrated that there were no vulnerable natives. JPs which I love (I provided some of the first brood stock to Dilger’s hatchery for trials) also could also be Ok in a basin where they historically were – but in a basin where they were not – they’d be a drama as they can scale just about shear waterfalls to get to upper catchment areas and would slay unsuspecting frog and macroinvertebrate populations not used to such predation.

What to do about exotic species?? – stop putting new ones in – that is about the best you can do – strong translocation policies are part of it, better controls on the aquarium trade and outdoor ponds would also help. Barra may control but will not eradicate – catfish, banded grunter, tilapia – so it is BS to promote them as a solution to ‘noxious’ species – studies in Townsville Reservoirs showed Tilapia to be one of the things stocked barra would eat least in preference to dwindling populations of natives – bony bream etc

Yes I agree it does not need to be an either / or situation – be happy with your bass fishery in SE Qld, do the hard yards (politically and physically) to get Cod established again (another species online) and do some real ecological risk assessment to work out what artificial water bodies in SE Qld could be stocked with some of the more exotic species coming on line without causing impacts. – And I am a supporter of the hard work and conservation messages that the stocking groups do and promote.

lordy
11-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Lordy / Fitzy,

Agree mullet are a good idea (have made the same recommendation in a report to DNRM) myself - just laughed about Lordy's good environmental measure throw in a few mullet etc..

Laugh all you like but its not as if they would be an angling target is it. So what other reason would there be to stock them? Incidentally, it was a Stanley River landcare group that wanted to stock Mullet but couldn't get a permit, so they wanted us to do it for them. Restoring the habit and stream health sounds like an enviromental benefit.

I don’t have to provide explanations for past stocking or translocation policies - I didn't support them or practice them!

Yes you do, you said so when you want Mary Cod stocked in the Brisbane. Incidentally, they are also stocked into other systems besides the Mary and the Brisbane as you know.

Rivers are not too cool all year round for barra to go walkabout especially when you get a fresh in summer - I know the species well enough.

They would freeze and die in winter when the frosts came if they tried to stay in the rivers above Wivenhoe.

Brisbane Cod went into an extinction spiral because of low numbers and poor habitat quality coupled with ongoing high fishing pressure and active catchment degradation until the day they checked out (and perhaps not all of them did - there are still recent records of large fish from the upper Stanley)

If you believe there is a chance they aren't extinct then you would have to object to stocking Mary cod on the grounds on the precautionary principle and cross breeding? Wouldn't you?

The Stanley is a great place for cod. Anything stocked into Wivenhoe wouldn't be able to get the Stanley unless it has a vertical leap of 100m. For mine, stocking the rivers with cod is of a much greater importance than stocking the dams.

Its a novelty to catch on in Somerset-Wivenhoe. Reports of catches of cod are rarer than hens teeth. Cod will remain a "novelty" fish while we can only purchase them in lots of a 2000-3000 a year. That is joke sized stocking in a dams the size of Wivenhoe and Somerset. And it looks like it could get worse is MacDonald hatchery stops supplying free cod.

Yes I agree it does not need to be an either / or situation – be happy with your bass fishery in SE Qld, do the hard yards (politically and physically) to get Cod established again

Your entire argument comes down to save the cod and not much else. There will be plenty of places for cod if barra/jacks were stocked into Wivenhoe, especially if Somerset Dam/Stanley River/Brisbane rivers are used for stocking them. Add in other areas dam/rivers, such as Maroon/Moograh, that stock them as well and there is no shortage of cod waters. The stocking of other species will not stop cod existing in this rivers and dams.

Last year the QFS was talking about stopping the stocking of Mary Cod completely. Apparently no genetics work was done on the breeding cod when they started the recovery program. Until the genetics research is done it is possible no more cod will be released for stocking by the QFS. We can't use SIP funds to pay for it so it someone else's job to get the research done. So we may have no cod to stock at all.

As an example, SWFSA had found several thousand cod fingerlings of quality size. At first, we were not allowed to stock because they had unknown genetics. Given it was only a few thousand we put up a fight and they agreed it wouldn't do any damage to the gene pool with such relatively small numbers. We then got told they were not allowed to supply them because they had no licence to be a cod provider. We fought hard again and QFS eventually allowed them to be donated. In the end they all died at the fish farm because the whole process took so long.

We can't get them at a reasonable rate (>50c, preferrably 25 cents), we can't get them at all because the commercial supplier is hopeless, we can't get them because the non-commercial hatchery that does supply them might not be allowed to supply them on genetic reasons. Quite frankly, I couldn't give a flying f@#k about stocking cod or not anymore.

If the price remains at $2 a fish then it is an inappropriate use of SIP funds for SWFSA to stock them at that price. Their stocking at that price seems more environmental than angler based. So let some green-based organisation pay for them to be stocked as an environmental issue, put their money where their mouths are so to speak.

Mangrove Jacks are currently going through the trials in NQ. Wivenhoe is expected to be approved (Somerset won't be approved as far as I know). They will be stocked when/if they are made available.

J-P: #Endangered in SEQ, extinct or close to it in Brisbane. A great fish to stock, unfortunately not going to happen in the next 10+ years. No one has the money to pay for the genetic work and trials. SWFSA even tried a letter writing campaign to raise some funds for it but was only able to raise promised of a few thousand, well short of the $30K it would need to get started.

Mullet: I doubt anyone can object and be taken seriously. Well actually QFS have objected. FFSAQ and some stocking groups are fighting hard for mullet at present.

Barra: may never be approved. But I don't think they are as mutually exclusive to Cod as you seem to expect then to be. Given the unavailability of Mary cod they might be the only top order predator available.

Randall
11-05-2004, 08:37 AM
Lordy...some interesting stuff mate. I know you have been researching for quite a few years now....I was`nt aware of the multiple walls you continually come up against. I applaude your, and SWFSA`s tenacity in getting things done.

Randall.

MikeC
22-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Having read all of this, here's my 5 cents worth.
Mary River Cod and their close relations are struggling for a foothold ANYwhere. So currently cod fry are almost impossible to come by and that's a crying shame. I find it very hard to support stocking of Barra - a species under no apparent threat of extinction - if it means the cod are put under any more pressure. And no, I'm not so naiive that I believe bass would ignore cod fry as a meal.
We have wonderful fisheries in the region for which I'm very thankful. Obviously there are more bass here than nature ever intended, [and to satisfy the hungry anglers I've seen lately who fish to fill the fridge that better not change!] but it's a fact that bass and cod have in the past co-existed. Can anyone out there tell me that cod and bara will do likewise? You're all probably thinking that's why we need a trial run! Well all I can say is it better be very tightly controlled.
Call me stupid but I couldn't kill a bass in a fit! Barra, on the other hand, introduced in direct competition with cod and bass are another matter!

MikeC
22-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Been thinking about it a bit more. Supposing a trial does go ahead, maybe it'd be a good idea to implement compulsory filling-out of catch cards before and after their introduction to gauge their impact. That should enable the stocking group to juggle the numbers and ensure that other equally desirable species maintain healthy populations, and, judging by past performances, they [the stocking groups] should cope very well with that.
So, while I still want more info, as I voted in the survey, I'm definitely not against it. I just hope it all works out and that all species can co-exist. But please don't forget those cod.

goodoo2
27-05-2004, 02:39 AM
I agree with Jim on this issue. He makes some excellent points.

I am also disappointed with the general lack of environmental responsibility shown by anglers, including in the "Barra in SE QLD" debate. Most talk the talk, but when it comes to the crunch they just want the angling thrills, no matter how inappropriate the angling, or the species being stocked for the angling, is!

I'm also worried by the "safari park" attitude to these dams. Yep, they're dams, and you guys (admirably) earn money to stock them, but it doesn't give you "anything goes" rights. As Jim has said, they are connected to rivers with endangered natives in them.

Tying in with all of these thoughts are the comments on the scarcity of Mary River Cod fingerlings and their expense, supply difficulties, etc..... Well instead of pushing Barra into a river where they were never more than a very rare estuarine visitor to, how about getting behind the poor Mary River Cod? How about putting the time, the passion and the $$$ behind the Mary River Cod and getting that genetic research done, getting a angler-driven breeding program going, and getting a good supply of Mary River Cod at a good price?

And then putting them into the habitats Jim has identified and getting fisheries going for these fantastic and unique fish?

How about we abondon the cheap thrills or hopes thereof and do the hard yards for a unique native almost genetically identical to Brisbane River Cod and that therefore has much more of a place there?

Cheers

Simon

Randall
27-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Simon...understand your thoughs on this matter but Mary River Cod is not an option. (Cant get em in numbers) So its all void going down that track. Barra are far more suited to SE Qld for all the reasons already stated. Yes, we do confess we like the thrills associated with Big Barra Hunting...I would`nt call them cheap though!! They come at a huge cost!!

Randall.

Fitzy
27-05-2004, 07:01 AM
Simon,
Shooting from the hip is all fine mate, but you gotta select your targets a bit better. A bit of background research before placing foot firmly in mouth helps the shots get fired in the right direction.
It has actually been me & this stocking group that has been at the forefront of pushing for all of the things you've mentioned & more.... for Mary River cod.
Also one of the few groups actively allocating funds, in advance for MR cod fingerling purchase.
By all means have your say, but I guess we'd rather you simply said thanks and continued on your way.

You've love of cod is well documented & is to be commented, most do, some dont.

Dont let your passion & a little propaganda get in the road of the real issues. Stocking in lakes means little or nothing to the conservation status for the species & if we beleive some of the researchers, we're possibly doing more damage to the species by stocking them. I would have thought you'd know all about that. The only reason QFS allowed MR cod to be stocked into lakes outside the Mary catchment is to make sure they could be a regulated fish (ie people can catch & kill them) as well as enjoying protected status in other locations. Best of both worlds so to speak. More a stunt than any real concern about the status of the fish.

In the meantime we have noxious & introduced pest fish growing in numbers while QFS have either no money, ability or means to control them. WE do, its called fish control by predation & angler pressure.

If you want to help on the MR cod issue, may I advise you write to Mike Dredge & Dr Peter Jackson at QFS & persuade these guys to allow hatcheries that have MRC brood stock to breed & sell to stocking groups.

Fitzy..

lordy
27-05-2004, 07:22 AM
I agree with Jim on this issue. #He makes some excellent points.

I am also disappointed with the general lack of environmental responsibility shown by anglers, including in the "Barra in SE QLD" debate. #Most talk the talk, but when it comes to the crunch they just want the angling thrills, no matter how inappropriate the angling, or the species being stocked for the angling, is!

I'm also worried by the "safari park" attitude to these dams. #Yep, they're dams, and you guys (admirably) earn money to stock them, but it doesn't give you "anything goes" rights. #As Jim has said, they are connected to rivers with endangered natives in them.

There will still be plenty of room for cod in the Brissy river. This isn't the either-or situation people seem to think it is. The rivers should be treated differently from the dams. Cod can have the Somerset Dam, the Stanley River, the upper Brisbane river, the rivers coming down from the ranges, even the lower Brissy River to themselves. Thats a LOT of potential cod country. The only bit that Wivenhoe barra could inhabit would be the lower Brissy if they jumped the wall (and survived), and even then they'd probably expire from the cold in the shallower water, or go over the wier at Mt Crosby and into the salt wate, and not be able to return to the fresh. I find the idea that they'd run will upstream of the dam odd given the overnight temperatures and impediments they'd face up there, not to mention their natural spawning urges would take them down stream.

Tying in with all of these thoughts are the comments on the scarcity of Mary River Cod fingerlings and their expense, supply difficulties, etc..... #Well instead of pushing Barra into a river where they were never more than a very rare estuarine visitor to, how about getting behind the poor Mary River Cod? #How about putting the time, the passion and the $$$ behind the Mary River Cod and getting that genetic research done, getting a angler-driven breeding program going, and getting a good supply of Mary River Cod at a good price? And then putting them into the habitats Jim has identified and getting fisheries going for these fantastic and unique fish?

The problem is we are NOT allowed to help with the research into cod genetics since we can NOT use SIP funds to do it. We tried. End of story. Given the sheer lack of numbers available why not stick them into the rivers where they can breed, as opposed to a dam where they make nice, tasty fillets and not much else. Waste of limited resource.

How about we abondon the cheap thrills or hopes thereof and do the hard yards for a unique native almost genetically identical to Brisbane River Cod and that therefore has much more of a place there?
Cheers
Simon

Barra aren't being considered for Somerset, so that leaves one massive dam that could soak up every single available MR cod fingerling and come back for more. We put 100,000-150,000 fish per year in Somerset. Of course we'd need $300,000 a year to put 150,000 cod, we have just about $35,000. If we put 10,000 Cod in that would leave a paltry $15000 for the rest of the species combines. Its kind of pathetic to stock a dam Somersets size with $15,000 + 10,000 fish.

goodoo2
27-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Fitzy, not trying to argue with you, just putting it as I see it.

Re background, I've got a pretty good knowledge of the situation with the coastal cod species, hence my comments on the issue.

I didn't realise that some attempts to further MR Cod in the Brisbane system were being hampered by the dreaded bureaucratic red tape.

I hope that with some pressure applied you might be able cut through that red tape and concentrate on stocking MR Cod rather than Barra.

I must also make the point that, as much as you guys want to believe it, you can't guarantee that smallish Barra won't whizz up the Brisbane River in summer to have a munch of whatever gets in their way. I think this a concern that needs to be considered.

Cheers

Simon

Fitzy
27-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Simon,
Barra cant just whiz back up the river, a couple of weirs stopping fish movement (jeez another hot topic)
You've read alot on the native cods cause, can you, off the top of you head quote any figures on cold water polution from major impoundments? I'm thinking that our efforts below Big W could be for naught as there's only about 60km of river down to Mt Crosby weir. Cold water could stop any breeding efforts.
In Big W were unlikely to ever get cod to breed so its really only for recreational fishing & pest control that we stock them.

Red tape? Mate I'm up to my back wheels in it. Tried some of my old tricks to get around this one but got nowhere. Went public with in & still got nowhere, only got a few more enemies along the way.

You also need to ask yourself, WHY did the BRC cark it? If it couldn't hack the pressure what chance have MRC got in a system with even more pressure on it & even more competition from other fish. Are we p!$$ing into the wind on the lower catchment? Fair chance I recon. The Stanley & to a lesser extent the Upper Brisso are another story.

Like I've always said, we've got money to spend on MR cod, but there's bugger all available. All the while we have noxious, translocated & pest species breeding at an alarming rate. These include: spangled perch, banded grunter, fork tailed catfish, tilapia, redclaw, carp, gambusia. Little wonder the BRC are gone & JPs with em. Last definate JP I heard of in the Brisso was 8 years ago.
It would be good to head these fish off before they go down the brissy & back up the Bremer or other systems feeding into Moreton Bay.
Some folks would paint you a picture of us volunteers as rednecked yokels who yell YEEEHAAAHHH as we pour as many fish in as many spots as we can. Its a case of mind over matter, we dont mind cause they dont matter.

Fitzy..

McCod
03-07-2004, 01:17 AM
60000 barra stocked into Boondoomba. 1 fish caught.

burdekinbarra
07-08-2004, 05:35 AM
Reminds me of back when they wanted to put Nile Perch in Burdekin Falls Dam. Thank god they didnt. Barra are great and we all love them, but further study is needed to determine what effect (if any) they would have on the fish populations of your other native species down there.

Barra from hatcheries and in particular barra farms are bred to be the best. they grow fast and they are extra agressive. Our barra up here that we stock in local creeks grow at over 1mm per day. they have done a great job of bringing the numbers of smaller fish back down to where they are supposed to be, but this is all natural.

my suggestion would be to talk with the freshwater fisheries extension officer at SFC Bribie Is

fishy_phil
07-08-2004, 11:41 AM
just my two bobs worth with the angling pressure solution to pest problems id just like to say in regards to the queensland fisheries stand on tilapia they have it wrong they should be encouraginging people to target them and keep them for the plate instead they have a ban on possessing them, this just sounds ludicris.
this in conjunction with stocking a top order perdator ie barra and or MRC would be the best option in my humble opinion.
but these are my thoughts if you agree very good if you dont thats good too.
cheers
phil

Evin_Rude
07-08-2004, 06:50 PM
60000 barra stocked into Boondoomba. 1 fish caught.
Yep, all northern barra, all small, late in the season & one of the coldest winters on record.
Been more than 1 caught, but who actually fishes for them?
Was 5000 north barra put into most of the sth Qld dams years ago, a couple caught at sumerset & 1 at maroon too.

Who knows if they dont try? Head in the sand approach would see us living in trees still.

Evan

Evin_Rude
07-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Reminds me of back when they wanted to put Nile Perch in Burdekin Falls Dam. #Thank god they didnt. #Barra are great and we all love them, but further study is needed to determine what effect (if any) they would have on the fish populations of your other native species down there.

The way i read it is that they're prepared to stop stocking the other fish if barra are cool. Who wants yellaguts & silver grunters anyway & every other dam in 400 miles up or down has got bass in it, pretty ho-hum that every dam is the same in the area. Why not try it, not like the mentioned Nile Perch, barra cant breed so theres no problem.

Evan

uncle_barry
15-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Good evening All.
Well, I have just read through all the postings in one hit.

And there are a couple of things that become super obvious.

First the not nice, when someone has other views, and in any debate all points of view should be taken and balanced against another factor.
Fitz, your laceing your points of view with common sarcasm does not help the reader, in fact it loses the positive view and your postive way of debating what you believe in.

Secondly, there is one common under current, and that is the Public Service, the people we pay to help all of us.

If placeing Barra here or there or the Mary Cod or any of her family here or there and the is no help, let alone no money, we the anglers of Queensland have a monster problem.

We as a country can spend millions of dollars on a few sports people to attend a games fest in Southern Europe, but can not help with the tax payers fishing, but did you say, the bill the great sports people and their hanger oners ran up and was paid for from taxes collected from you, but no money to help a fish or fishery, we have a monster problem, thats way bigger than placeing Barra here or there or Mary Cod here or there.

I think this whole debate should be about getting better help from the Government and how this can be 'done'.
And from there anglers can only move forward.

Myself, I see huge problems with the introduced pest fish, how this problem is over come, is above me. !

The translocation, stopping the introduction of anything in the Dams in SEQ, silly to say the least because, to the best of my knowledge all bass are from a different location and are dumped into a new home, a new location.
And if we add to the equation Yellowbelly and Silvers, then any clear thinker would stop reading or start laughing how totally stupid the situation is ! #

Now to upset a number of purest types, there maybe a case to introduce Trout into the section under the W dam, with the cold water, these fish would be totally controlled by the water temputure, summer and winter.

And in turn would generate a great money 'spinner', for everybody.
As there is no where in Queensland where the public can attempt to catch a Trout.
They are super cheap and easy to obtain. And could add to the controlling factor to the introduced pest fish.

And only after a suitable study was under taken to see how the introduce fish would cope or destroy the other creatures around them.
This fish could add a new factor to a all ready great international fishery, the top of the Brisbance River.

Some of the hidden problems with the mighty Barra are once they, the Barra reach about 20 pound the number of anglers who can catch this fish are very limited. #However everybody pays the permit to fish the pond they and other fish live in.

Which in turn produces people who won't and don't buy a fishing permit, then the income available reduces, and we have a problem with lack of funds available.
And this very situation has happened at Tinaroo.

But the expert, ithe in crowd are ok, they catch big Barra, sometimes and if they don't they obtain Hero Points when talking about the big Barra that beat them.

The idea of introducting another major perdator fish into a wonderful major Bass fisherie, must take a lot of research and deep thinking, before even the how to or the cost is even thought about.

So in conclusion, we must address the following factors before any other fish is introduced.
The Public Servant problem , now to over come this the South African expereice could be a good way to to with their Trout fishery.
And this is, the Government/Public Service, stands back and the local fish group take charge and ALL, 100% of funds collected are given the this group, they inturn operate the hatchery, and control the release and where or when.

The group is free to attract advertising and funds from corporate bodies, like Car Compaies and boat buiders, etc.
As to fund a conversation group like a fish stocking group and their hatchery would be better value than some catching competition, I talk from by business point of view, however there are others (businesses)who sit back and watch.

Please look apon my views and thoughts with postive thoughts because there wasn't meant to be anything negative.
Kind regards.
Barry.
I am a Talon Fly Fishing Products agent.

Randall
16-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Were you pissed when you wrote this Barry?????

Dont dare tell me you were straight!!!!

Randall ;D

BOMBER
16-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Got to agree wit you there Randall, and trout you have to be kidding me.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

uncle_barry
16-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi Randall and Mr Bomber.
It would appear that you didn't read or what you read you didn't or couldn't comprehend.
And again, I wrote the following.
In relation to Trout being placed in the coldwater from the big W Dam.

"And only after a suitable study was under taken to see how the introduce fish would cope or destroy the other creatures around them. "

I would have thought that the above was clear enough for most.
Now what is the problem with the statement?
Are you of closed mind about Trout and their potential economic value to the local and Brisbane businesses?

The cold water, a by product of the W Dam, could be a great location, again, I wrote, 'could'.

I find it rather strange that you accepted the problem with Public Servants and didn't have a problem with fishing/the stocking and the hatching of fish for these Dams being controlled/run by a local group.
Either is there a comment about the folly of introduceing Bass into a area that are a non native to the release area.
Either to introduceing another set of non locals, the Yellowbelly and the Silver Perch.

However when someone, me, suggests the possiblities of Trout you wrote cheap street language about being drunk.
Sir, I only have one glass of red wine with my meal, as this is what my Doctor suggested.

Please, with the 'don't dare tell me' talk, just who on Earth are you? Some big bully boy who if some other person suggests an idea comes in .....

Maybe the real problem with the whole managerment is not the funds or who the Public Service helps or doesn't, it is your closed mind and treating attitude !
As it is far than helpfull to your cause or the fish managerment you are alined to.

Now it wouldn't have taken much thinking from what was written, by me about a Hatchery and Fish releasing, coupled with the fact I stated who I was, to think, just maybe this fellow might be able to help our cause, maybe he might even from his business offer a cash donation.

No, both of you clever chaps, and I must consider you both are representing the managerment of the fish stocking group that releases fish into the big W Dam, do not need or require any help, in time or money.

And before another out burst on your powerful keyboards, please can you give me the reasons why a Trout fishery couldn't co exist below the Dam wall?
(If after a study theydoould or would be as little damage as done to the waterway as releaseing your mighty Barra into the dam or below it).

A fisherie such as a Trout fisherie on Brisbane's door steps would capture some of the 100's of 1000's of dollars that exit this State every year to the Southern States and New Zealand.

And if you allow your self to think a little deeper, the increase of fees to fish for this fish just might help with developing a fisherie above the Dam wall.
And you may find there are others who might help your cause of better fish managerment above and or below the big W Dam.

I only offered a suggestion, and don't believe what was written was called for.
Guess you don't was want or require my help either.
Regards to you both.
Barry.

aussiebasser
16-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Surely the suggestion that we consider stocking a non-native fish in South East Queensland, ie. Trout imported for Europe and North America, has to be a negative in itself.
Mental note Barry, don't post after drinking too much red wine. It could make you look like a tossa.

Randall
16-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Sometimes it`s just better not to enter into a keyboard shootin match.....this is one of those occassions. A pointless exersize. Different planents Barry. :-/

RG

Fitzy
16-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Barry many thanks for your suggestions. As the Pres of the Big W stocking group I can say that we've pretty much got things covered for now, however if we ever consider stocking trout into the region, we will be sure to contact you for some input.

BTW- there is trout water in Qld if you know where to look but I rarely bother with them, native fish are much more fun. ;)

Cordially,

Garry Fitzgerald

Evin_Rude
16-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Mental note Barry, don't post after drinking too much red wine. #It could make you look like a tossa.
What do you mean "could"!

Hey Unkie Barry, a few trout in that river wouldn't hurth the sales of fly reels too hey. ;D

Voltzy
16-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Randall, are you involved in the stocking group in question?

A trout tail race fishery for Big W? That would be interesting.
Is there any available figures on the temps at which #water gets released from the bottom of the wall?

Fitzy, why wont cod breed in Big W?

and a couple more questions-

Barry owns or is involved in a tackle import/wholesale company, does your stocking group receive any support from such companies? (not only barry's of course) Obviously, it would be in the best interests of such companies to support booming local fisheries?

Is there anything the average joe blow can do to expediate barra into Big W?

Thanks Mate.

lordy
16-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Voltzy, SWFSA could use a world champion fly fisherperson, such as yourself, to lobby the politcal bodies. Are you up for it?

Fitzy
16-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Is there any available figures on the temps at which #water gets released from the bottom of the wall?

Yes, not consistently cold enough for trout to survive. Refer SEQWCorp for specifics.

Fitzy, why wont cod breed in Big W?

Very few if any nesting sites are in the lake itself as the whole area was de-forrested prior to the lake filling. Good possibility that they will breed in the Brisbane River above Big W.

and a couple more questions-

Barry owns or is involved in a tackle import/wholesale company, does your stocking group receive any support from such companies? (not only barry's of course) Obviously, it would be in the best interests of such companies to support booming local fisheries?

We enjoy great support from some tackle companies, tackle stores, lure manufacturers etc as well as non-fishing boating related companies eg Ergon Energy & various state & local govt departments. No Barry's business does not support our work or projects.
We can certainly use more support to get worthwhile project off the ground sooner rather than later.

Is there anything the average joe blow can do to expediate barra into Big W?

You can write letters of support to the stocking group, your local & state govt representative & to Qld dept of Primary Industries & Fisheries. You can also be of great assistance by simply being a member of your local stocking group, play an active role in developing, maintaining & managing your own local fishery. (It's also a great way to learn many new things about fish & fishing in general).

SWFSA website is http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/swfsa/

Cheers,

Fitzy..

aussiebasser
16-08-2004, 05:45 PM
I also believe there is a substantial "no fish" zone below lake Wivenhoe wall.
Surely the Bass, Golden Perch, Mary River Cod and Saratoga in that stretch of the Brisbane River are enough, without introducing Trout.

McCod
17-08-2004, 07:02 AM
EVEN_RUDE
Don't now what ya on about.Not after excuses as to why barra stocking failed at boondoomba. If barra stocking of any dam near Brisbane go's ahead. I will be out there targeting them as i live on Sunshine coast. It's easy to drop in someones Quotes and throw King hits over the net . At the start of this poll Randall asked for some comments.So pull ya head out of "AND IT'S NOT THE SAND".

Evin_Rude
17-08-2004, 02:35 PM
EVEN_RUDE
Don't now what ya on about.Not after excuses as to why barra stocking failed at boondoomba. If barra stocking of any dam near Brisbane go's ahead. I will be out there targeting them as i live on Sunshine coast. It's easy to drop in someones Quotes and throw King hits over the net . At the start of this poll Randall asked for some comments.So pull ya head out of "AND IT'S NOT THE SAND".
My "head in the sand" comment was refering to the anti-barra-at-all-cost cruisaders & politicians. If that hat fits you, then wear it, I dont really care.
If the half hearted attempt at barra stocking years ago in SEQ was applied to many other things we'd be far worse off, image if NASA had of given up after thier first rocket failed.
"Oh that's too hard, it cant be done so we wont try any more". Defeatist attitudes by these folks are definately non-productive.
I read on another website about there being someone from north qld who has been blocking any trial in the south cause they want the tourist money to keep going north. If that's true its pathetic.
All I'm saying is that to use Boondooma as an example that barra wont live south of Maryborough is laughable to the extreme. Wasn't making excuses, rather giving rational reasoning for the failure, based upon facts, that some simply aren't capable of.

I'd certianly love to go barra fishing at at least one dam south of Lenthalls Dam.

C Yas.

Fitzy
18-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Did anyone else hear the news report of the 19kg barra caught at Jumpinpin last weekend? 2 others were also sighted.
Bit early for the girls to be coming in to spawn I thought but anyway.

Also a fortnight ago, nighttime temps at Proserpine were as low as 3 degrees C. Some great barra were caught throughout that week.

And dumb old me was here believing that barra dont like the cold. The ones at Faust must have been caught while they were sitting around a fire up the bank some place hey? ;D

Fitzy..

DRJ
19-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey Fitzy - big difference between air temp and water temp?

Regards
Darren ;D

Fitzy
19-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Hey Fitzy - big difference between air temp and water temp?

Regards
Darren ;D
Exactly right Darren. Lowest water temp recorded at the base of Somerset wall is 20 deg C. Could be minus 5 (air temp) on a winter morning there. #;D

Will be up your way in 3 weeks hopefully. Will give you a holler if & when.

Fitzy..

McCod
20-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Several barra up to 20 KG landed at awoonga last weekend 13,14,15 August. Water temp 19-21 deg C in some places. "Looking good for spring".
Regards McCod.

davo
05-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Just on the subject of jacks in dams. It will be interesting in the longer term if they grow well. Maybe an early blessing and later curse? I thing the luremakers will love them as they will keep them in business

Foxie
09-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Hey Fellas
Great debate on each side. As Fitzy said here at Monduran barra and bass live side by side but don't forget we never had a good bass fishery to start with, some thing you guys have got and don't want to lose. Maybe you have enough fodder fish in the lake to support barra {as stated any fish at the top of the food chain still won't waste energy chasing active prey] .I think if your going to stock barra don't just throw in millions of them put in some and see now it goes.
Cheers Foxie

Fitzy
09-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Just on the subject of jacks in dams. It will be interesting in the longer term if they grow well. Maybe an early blessing and later curse? I thing the luremakers will love them as they will keep them in business
Can never be a long tem problem. If it ever appears that jacks are becoming a prob, simply stop stocking them & they will disappear. Jacks cannot breed in lakes.

Cheers,

fitzy..

woody74
15-01-2005, 04:24 PM
What about stocking barra in Cressbrook?

Sir_Atotus
16-01-2005, 05:42 PM
What about stocking barra in Cressbrook?
Doubt theres enough food in cressy for barras + its a too small dam. Wivenhoe or samsonvale are the best spots for them i say. Its all upto the stocking people i guess if they want them or not.
I vote yes for at least 1 barra lake in southern queerland.

Kuhlia_R
17-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I think there a lot of selfish fisher folk more interested in there own interests than what's in the the best interests of the fish, Barra practically ocupy the whole northern coastline of Australia almost 50% not including the relevent drainage systems. Yet the critically endangerd Eastern Clarence river\Mary river cod Maccullochella ikei\ peelii sub sp mariensis only have a small footprint on our wonderfull SE QLD and Northern NSW. if you need apex predators than look no further, if you want angling intrest then look no futher but if you want barra then move north. I afraid its a big no from me and yes I fish And yes I live in SE QLD. poor poor cod :'(

spook
29-06-2005, 04:47 PM
First of all, I have reservations about stocking Barra in SEQ, and basically agree with Kahulia R. There are a couple of points are worth considering. First. they are basically a tropical species, that only really range as far south as the Mary River, which gets us into a bit of hot water, "pardon the pun", with the current translocation of species laws. Secondly, you will be stocking Barra into dams that are currently stocked with Bass. I'm not up with my reading lately but there was an article in a Mag about the sudden disappearance of Bass in a Dam that was at a later date stocked with Barra. Don't quote me on this but I think it may have been one of the dams in the Burnett region.
Thirdly, which is linked to the first reason, are Hatcherys and stocking associations going to pour money into a species that has a marginal chance of survival in temperate climate dams, as opposed to Bass which thrive?
Don't get me wrong I would love to see Barra on my back door step, who wouldn't! But I would also love to go up into the mountain streams near here and catch Trout too! But some times it just isn't possible.

bearclaw
03-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I think it would be a great idea, where would the brood stock be sorced from.

Louis
17-11-2005, 02:33 PM
I would love to see Barra stocked in Wivenhoe.

And failing that, then Jacks

Louis

jimbolikes_barra
19-11-2005, 10:29 AM
randall do you mean stock in other dam other than lentrhalls because the stocking assoc just put 6000 odd in to lenthalls on
wednesday.? :o

jimbolikes_barra
19-11-2005, 10:36 AM
to spook
the piont is the barra allready have been stocked in lenthalls for some years now and they are showing great growth rates about 450mm per year and as soon the barra start to make some of the bass 'disappear' the better for the fishing and the economy of the wide bay.

i do still like bass but they just arern't as beneficial for the fishing as the barra.

Fitzy
28-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey Fellas<br>Great debate on each side. As Fitzy said here at Monduran barra and bass live side by side but don't forget we never had a good bass fishery to start with, some thing you guys have got and don't want to lose. Maybe you have enough fodder fish in the lake to support barra {as stated any fish at the top of the food chain still won't waste energy chasing active prey] .I think if your going to stock barra #don't just throw in millions of them put in some and see now it goes. #<br>Cheers Foxie<br>

Foxie,
I wouldnt say the bass fishery at Monduran is isnt/wasnt good. I've had 50 fish sessions there years ago before a barra was ever caught & pulled up not long ago again to pull 9 or 10 in an hour in the basin. Bass were & still are there.

Bass are there & are a far easier target than barra, they just dont get to 1meter+ in size....... Big fish get ppl excited.

Cheers,

fitz..

Jim_Tait
05-12-2005, 05:00 AM
Here's the sort of big fish we should be aiming for in the freshwater reaches of the Mary River south - I'd reakon it would get ppl excited - Jim!

TonyM
06-12-2005, 06:05 PM
I have to agree Jim, they are a beautifull fish.

Is anyone aware of the DPI's stance on stocking Cod? Are any stocked in impoundments?

I'm still a bit of a newbie at freshwater so please forgive all my questions ;D

Jim_Tait
06-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Yeah Tony,

they're stocked in a number of impoundments in the Mary, Brisbane and Gold Coast catchments (Mary River Cod) and in a couple of Richmond River Impoundments (Eastern Cod) as well as open streams and rivers in this range (although eastern cod stocking has stalled at teh moment due to NSWF genetic protocols bailing up the previous supplies of fingerlings). In the rivers they are not meant to be targeted but can be a common by-catch in areas where you chase bass.

Regards - Jim

Fitzy
10-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah Tony,

they're stocked in a number of impoundments in the Mary, Brisbane and Gold Coast catchments (Mary River Cod) and in a couple of Richmond River Impoundments (Eastern Cod) as well as open streams and rivers in this range (although eastern cod stocking has stalled at teh moment due to NSWF genetic protocols bailing up the previous supplies of fingerlings). #In the rivers they are not meant to be targeted but can be a common by-catch in areas where you chase bass.

Regards - Jim

Knew it wouldnt be long before a grab got made for SIP money to bail out the MRC Recovery program in Qld. They're out canvassing stocking groups to donate $$ to help run the Gerry Cook Hatchery.
While its all for a great cause, I recon the funds for this should be a priority from DPI&F.

The Somerset/Wivenhoe/Atkinsons group agreed to donate $2 for every MRC they get. Kind of a back door way of buying the cod (which we've been wanting to do all along).

Fitzy..

luckyone
14-12-2005, 04:28 AM
mmmmm barra at somerset and big w let me think a while ............................yey baby bring them on........

Louis
17-01-2006, 11:18 AM
I second that opinion Luckyone

Wazza77
18-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Yep some barra down this way would be nice. You have my vote for sure

Jim_Tait
18-01-2006, 02:07 PM
If we are going to make a reular zoo of our southern impoundments we might as well chuck in a few peacock bass, a couple of tiger fish, some largemouth bass... what else do we fancy having closer to home?? Oh yeah I hear Golden Masheer and Snakeheads pull well (you only have to go to PNG to get those these days).

Really guys these thing are just as foreign to the upper reaches of the Brisbane River as Barra are. Have you read all of the arguments in the string above before you support barra stocking in SE Qld mpoundments?

Alternatively we could focus on managing better an already good (& native to the catchment) bass fishery and get Mary River Cod fingerling and sstocking sorted to the extent that we do have a large (& native) predator re-established in SE Qld impoundments!

Regards - Jim

MikeC
20-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Changed my vote from "undecided" to "no"

Fitzy
24-01-2006, 06:46 PM
If we are going to make a reular zoo of our southern impoundments we might as well chuck in a few peacock bass, a couple of tiger fish, some largemouth bass... what else do we fancy having closer to home?? Oh yeah I hear Golden Masheer and Snakeheads pull well (you only have to go to PNG to get those these days). #

Really guys these thing are just as foreign to the upper reaches of the Brisbane River as Barra are. #Have you read all of the arguments in the string above before you support barra stocking in SE Qld mpoundments?

Alternatively we could focus on managing better an already good (& native to the catchment) bass fishery and get Mary River Cod fingerling and sstocking sorted to the extent that we do have a large (& native) predator re-established in SE Qld impoundments!

Regards - Jim

Your going a bit to extremes Jim.

Barra are native to the region. Ern Grant describes catching them in Pummicestone Passage. Last time I looked at a map, the Brisbane system fed into Moreton Bay, & Pummicestone is part of Moreton Bay.

Peacock Bass are easy if you want them. The dopey bugers in fisheries just changed some names on the banned fish list & a couple of peacock slid through the cracks. I saw some in a tank just a few weeks ago in Brisbane. Scary thought.

[hr]

Stocking our lakes with native fish is not a great scenario for our ecosystems, but 16 billion tonnes on rock, dirt & concrete spread across a valley for 4km to dam a river is far far more damaging.
If any of the tree huggers or purists are so anti fish stocking, why are they not lobbying to get all these dams destroyed. Answer = That aint never gonna happen & we aint never gonna have natural eco systems where ever we've played god & blocked the rivers.

We shat the bed, now we gotta put up with the stink. I certainly aint got a problem with the hyro station at Wivenhoe mincing barra instead of forkies & bass. The pelicans below dont seem to care either. ::)

Cheers,

fitzy..

fad
03-02-2006, 10:20 AM
barra at somerset u beauty :D.what about some jack as well can they live in the same enviroment ::)

Louis
16-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I never knew that the Hydro station at Wivenhoe minced up the fish.

Have any of the powers to be in government circles ever considered Attaching a filtering device etc. to stop the fish geting killed?

Louis

turley
17-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I'd firstly like to state that i personally support the concept of stocking Barra into lake wivanhoe. I live in ipswich and have fished the dams and the upper brisbane river my entire life and, plan to do so for the rest of the time I am living here. Having read all the previous posts I see the major argument being that the funds should be spent on establishing the mary river cod into dams rather than stocking barramundi.

I support the establishing of Cod but, the issue with the cod as I see is, it is primarily being stocked for conservation purposes which is great, but the SIP is inplace to provide sport fish for the thousands of fishos' that attend these dams each year. As the mary river cod is "practically" unavailable in enough numbers to accomplish the stock that is desired then I see the cod as a future investment of SIP funds. I also see the stocking of cod into somerset as the best option on the reports of earlier posts that there is no breeding grounds for the cod in wivanhoe.

Stocking barramudi into wivanhoe is not going to effect the trophy bass and hopefully a healthy breeding stock of cod in somerset, will hopefully have an effect on the infestation of tilipia and other pests in the dam and open up the dam with a summer target rather than the huge number of forkies that are caught almost exclusively in summer. Alot of business would be generated for the towns around wivanhoe and I am sure the SIP would gain a few extra funds. There is the concern about the barramundi escaping the dam and effecting the ecosystem in the brisbane river but surely this would not be near as detramental as what tilipia and other pests have already done! And if it is proven that he barramundi cannot breed because of the water temp or the weirs then, I don't realy see the escape of barramundi to be a problem.

Having more diversity in these lakes in my opinion can only be a positive and stocking of native fish is the only way to do this. Perhaps barramundi are not the answer but finding new fish for this dam can only be a big positive for everyone!

Louis
17-02-2006, 02:21 PM
G'day Turley,

Well put.

I concur.

Welcome to the site.

Louis

luckyone
11-03-2006, 03:46 PM
bring on the barra and let petrol motors onbig W yeyyyyyyyyyyyyy then let the fun begin god i could have sleepless nights about this

mat_anderson04
03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
bring on the barra ;D

TinarooTriumph
10-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Barra in SEQ - mhmm. Dont know the info and the facts to determine what would be right or wrong for this topic. It would attract alot more people on the water, and from my experiences down south chasing bass and goldens, im not if theirs enough room to accomodate bass and barra fishermen :-? . My 2cents worth.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

hardb8
11-06-2006, 07:08 PM
DO IT,DO IT NOW!

oscar64
15-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Well well, look at what a simple poll can do to people. :-/

Firstly to answer teh question that Randall posted- YEs I would liek to see more barra stocked in SE Qld, who wouldnt.
( obviously some!but hey thtas thier choice.)

I spent 4 years recently living in the UK, OK it was my choice to go there and I wouldnt change a thing , but man have they got a hack of a fisheries. TEh average guy HAS to buy a half day or full day ticket to fish and this costs around 50 GBP- thats about $110 bucks.

So what ? Yeah well look at how much we pay for what we have.

Anyone who belongs or helps out with teh stocking of any impoundmenet with any fish species that benefits not only us as fisherman , but also the surrounding business' and towns gets my full support.

I have been lucky enough that my best mates have taken me to Awoonga , Monduran and more because its closer Lenthalls, and as I hadnt caught anything more than a barely legal wild barra in Townsville, I am now what you wouldcall a full on barra junky and sit at work and hoem at nightthinking about the next trip ,ortying weird and wonderful 'bits of fluff' to chuck at them.

I enjoy teh thrill and teh sport of catching ,and seeing somene else catching fish, no matter what they are.

I think that perhaps on this occassion we could all stop teh personal attacks on people just because tehy beleive in somethin different than others and vote on the Poll Question.

For mine its a BIg yes, if the trials and whatever else the stocking groups use to determine the feasability of a succesful stocking.

As ANGLERS, no matter what sort of fishing we do or how we do it, we at least owe them the respect to try, as well as thanking them for wehat we already have.
ITs only one strike of a pen and it could be all gone- never forget that!

Just my 20c worth. ( hate pommy money!) 8-)

Pete

mav83
25-06-2006, 09:49 AM
that would be great!!!

mylestom
26-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Bring on the big guns,
Barra are the ideal fish for the warmer dams on the east of the Great Divide.
The original thought was that they were in the Brisbane River.
My family lived in the region from the early 1800 and that was the story that was passed down.
Obviously some will say bullshit. But take the time research and also listen to the old timers.
Also they won't breed in the freshwater.
And if they escape. Watch out Moreton Bay. Don't think they would survive in the water south of MtCrosby. There is not much that will.
Trev :-/

gidget
26-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Wouldn't it be great for the community if some millionaire fisho like steve irwin or greg norman approached the local and/or state government to initiate the injection of 50,000 barra per year for three years into ewen maddock dam which is near caloundra city. The benefit to steve is he would create worldclass fishing 10 minutes from his zoo . The benefit to greg is a worldclass fishery within 20 minutes from his golfing investments at pelican waters. The benefit to the dpi would be a no cost real and meaningful trial with immediate results in one of the easiest dams of all to monitor. My benefit aside from the fact that I live 5 minutes away is to prove to the caloundra city council that they would benefit more by setting up a barra fishery than any other sporting venture they have previously used our rates to endorse! I am so passionate about this because I have already seen barra in this dam grow to 7kg in 18 months . Agassi's glassfish is anative freshwater forage fish already established in this dam (see attached). Very shallow warm dam /weed&lillies.

tiges
27-06-2006, 08:57 PM
You'd have to do something about the spillway Gidget, you'd lose heaps over there in a flood. It'd be awesome but wouldn't it, be a great top water fishery.

gidget
28-06-2006, 08:58 PM
. I acknowledge your point . The 'owners' of ewen maddock now have a monitor station at the dam wall and start releasing water before the level gets near full. In my dealings with the Macdonald hatchery it was proven that substantial migration occurs upstream as well during floodtimes . With lake baroon we lost most of our 50 cm bass years ago in a major flood in winter when they were 'ripe' togo to the salt to spawn. Baroon has an excellant fishery despite this as does hinze which went over at the same time. .A mixed fishery of bass&barra is sensible because they have different spawning seasons. The other way of thinking about it is to count how many barra dams have dam walls, fishnets,high rainfall etc. If we think negatively(precautionary principle etc) we would not put fish in any dam.Lake Mcdonald is still a bass fishery and floods regularly. very similar to ewen maddock. To put barra in a dam with a five times better growth rate than bass sounds logical to me.

budgebass
28-06-2006, 11:29 PM
sorry folks i say only in wivenhoe fellas
big expanse

why ruin our great bass fisheries?

50 barra would do a lot of damage in maroon dam?

cheers
budgebass

gidget
29-06-2006, 07:27 AM
That's why it has to be ewen maddock . We have only put 8000 bass in this dam ever! One token stocking of bass years ago is not enough to call it a serious bass fishery. Thats why the big people must get involved i.e. council , dpi to create something from nothing with a fantastic benefit for the community . Only then will the powers that be consider bass fisheries like big w and somerset . Don't get me wrong I want all dams that can support barra to have barra . Chip away slowly but get support from the right people.

TinarooTriumph
29-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Id have to agree with whats been said here, Ewen Maddock Dam. You guys are really crying out for Barra close to the Bris-Vegas arnt ya's ;D . Fair enough i say, i can see the point. Ewen Maddock would be the only dam to cater for Barra fishing close to your backyard, i think the place would do fairly well with Barra from what ive heard about the place (still havnt been there myself, but from the figures and location of it, i think it would be pretty good!).

Gidget - I think we'd all like stars like Irwin and Norman to donate to the cause, and who knows?. Maybe they wake up on the right side of the bed one morning and think the idea's a cracker, maybe not. Lets hope the community/s can find away to accomodate you guys...

Budgebass - Wivenhoe :o . Hell no. Place is to good for barra. Besides... thats to far south... the waters wouldnt warm that huge place for the barra. If Wivenhoe were to magically swap places with Ewen Maddock when it comes to location... then it would be perfect. Leave Wivenhoe as a whopping bass fishery...

Theo 8-)

gidget
29-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Isn't wivenhoes stocking controlled by their fishing club. If they want barra let them put barra in . Tomorrow I am applying to the dpi for a permit to stock four thousand dollars worth of barra fingerlings into ewen maddock dam .

tiges
29-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey gidget, hope ya can pull that off. I've heard rumours of barra in the dam, starting to really believe it now. Went for a fish at the Maddock this arvo, got some nice bass. I'll put a few pics etc up in freshwater reports soon, if ya wanna check it out.

manangatang
09-07-2006, 09:56 AM
can any one shed any light on barra at ewen maddock ,numbers ect cheers

ele-phrez
14-09-2006, 03:01 PM
hell yeah bring it on

Cruize
18-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Not only in the dams but put some into the back rivers like brissy, logan, albert, pine and the rest.

Bronson
11-10-2006, 04:25 PM
yeah there should definetly be more and closer dames stocking barra

bronson

Tim_01
13-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey every1,

I'd love to have barra down here! But I have a question, can barra handle the lower temperatures of our SEQ dams? Boondooma dam near proston was stocked with barramundi some time ago and it was 'Unsucsessful due to the cold winters' as stated in many web sites, books, etc. Barra are supposed to die at temperatures lower than 13 degrees C. So even if they were stocked, would they survive?

Cheers, Tim ;)

tonk
13-12-2006, 06:47 AM
I voted no.
Let me state that I have nothing but praise for the committment of the stocking group involved, and all stocking groups for that matter.
At the moment however I will support the science, even though it is lacking in this case. The fallback position is obvioulsy the precautionary principle. Past wrongs and inconsistencies in fisheries management and stocking policy should not really enter into the equation.
I would be prapared to change my vote following a decent experiment in a smaller impoundment if such a place exists. The sheer numbers of barra neccessary to objectively trial their impacts in a lake as large as the ones mentioned would in my opinion be prohibitive and results would take a long time to come by.
I have no answers re the cod issues. Habitat degradation is the problem and no amount of fish stocking fixes that. Unfortunately there is even less political will to tackle the issues of riparian habitat destruction and more importantly the massive broadscale soil erosion caused by overgrazing. That's an issue in every single catchment in Qld and affects every species, not just cod.
Good luck to the SWFSA, I applaud your efforts and your tenacity.
cheers