PDA

View Full Version : Growth rates of Golden Perch?

Tim_01
17-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey everyone ;)

On new years eve last year my parents and I released 40 Golden Perch and 40 Aussie Bass (35-50mm in size) into my aunt's dam. The dam is about 60m long by 35m wide and goes down to 8 or 9 metres deep. After fishing the dam a few times I've finally caught one of the little buggers! ;D It was a yellowbelly and about 30cm long! ;D took a Poltergeist 50 crazy deep. I also got a hit on a scorpion 35, presumably a bass. 30cm in one year seems like a pretty fast growth rate, can anyone comment on wild or impoundment yellobelly growth rates in comparison? i'll be sure to attach some pics next time

cheers,

Tim.

yellahunter
04-01-2007, 03:56 PM
thats surprisingly quick mate,
there must be a lot of food in the dam.

when looking into stocking a dam a little while back I learned that yellas on average grow 16cm per year, so thats exceptional,

some pics would be great,

Tim_01
04-01-2007, 04:47 PM
yellahunter,

yes, there's plenty of small fish and water bugs in the dam, it was dug about 13 years ago and seems to have a very healthy ecosystem; good quality water, aquatic plants, etc. I'll be staying at the dam overnight on the 8th of Jan and I'm hoping to catch a few more fish then (I'll be taking the camera). #:)

cheers,
Tim.