PDA

View Full Version : Gull Try Wing

coulter
30-10-2001, 04:12 PM
Hi all, I am new to boating and after some info on a 5.5 Mt Gull Try Wing Cuddy Cab. I am considering buying this boat secondhand fitted with a Mariner 75. My main use would be fishing around the Bay islands and venturing out to the close reefs out from South Passage Bar. Is it suitable for my requirements especially crossing the bar. Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards
Kaj Coulter

Simon
03-11-2001, 10:56 AM
kaj,
Don't know the specific boat you are talking about, but I own a 4.2 m hydrofield which is a try hull. The size you are talking about should be right for all you wan't it to do. a friend owned a 5m hydrofield and regularly took it too the outer-reef off Bowen. I've had mine in some rough seas in moreton bay and off Mackay and it handled the weather better than bigger 5+m boats. If its an open boat I wouldn't recommend bar crossings as it won't float well full of water when a wave comes over the bow which the bigger waves are apt to do not unless it has a super fast self draining floor or bloody big builge pumps. you'll find its a very stable craft but might be a bit slow onto the plane and probably won't like glassed over conditions tri's love a bit of chop to give them the extra lift.

Hope this makes the mud a little clearer

Cheers

Simon.