PDA

View Full Version : need info on stingrays

adrian
26-12-2001, 01:54 AM
hi folks
merry xmas and happy new year to all
I've been thinking about buying a stingray for my quinnie bay hunter 4.75 mtr it has a 40 yamaha .my question is would it make any difference to the over all handling and ride ???
also what do they do when you are up on the plane are they in or out of the water . as I don't know anyone who has one fitted but have heard so much about them .
any info would be great .
enjoy the xmas break and hear from you all next year
Anzac

Smithy
27-12-2001, 05:42 PM
I am a big fan of foils and I don't think you will be dissapointed if you fit one. They may knock a knot or two of speed off but the benefits of holding a low plane speed, speed out of the hole and level attitude are well worth it. The original Stingrays can develop a bit too much lift and broaching type handling on certain hulls so we have gone to Lazilas brand foils. They angle up so not much of the wing is in the water when you are on the plane, they are always working to counteract any broaching because of this angle and they are one of the cheapest around. I wouldn't try anything else but these two brands.

Jack_Lives_Here
28-12-2001, 07:48 AM
anzac,

Fitted one to my hornet lust a few days ago. 50hp Yamie - It didn't want to get out of the hole and wanted to porpoise when it got up to a certain speed. End result - problem fixed. It will now plane at around 3200rpm.

Jack

fisho
29-12-2001, 04:11 PM
Have used a foil for the last couple of years with my boat around the 5.5m mark - I'm hooked on them. Take the time to talk to people at your local boat ramp about their opinions on brands etc. ;)

adrian
04-01-2002, 03:58 PM
thanks guys
the info will come in handy . one more question metal or plastic. the pros and cons would also be helpful
anzac

Smithy
23-01-2002, 06:07 PM
Plastic is fine. The Lazilas foils should be under $50 I think. You would think stainless would be a lot more than that.

Roman
23-01-2002, 07:21 PM
forgive my stupidness but when you guys talk about the plane what are you talking about? The way the boat sticks up the faster you go?

adrian
24-01-2002, 02:10 PM
that's right roman . the part in question is the part above the prop . they say a bit bigger than standard helps keep the boat level
they have given the info i need will keep you posted on the results
anzac