PDA

View Full Version : 3.85 Edgetracker owners reports

sooty
11-04-2002, 06:27 AM
has anyone boat test or own a 3.85 edgetracker as I am looking at buying a new one ?

Brian
12-04-2002, 09:34 AM
No have not tried one have you been given a price ?????. I'm only asking that as i have been offered a brand new one which at the moment i cannot see my way clear to get it. It has all the casting decks +++

mikey
12-04-2002, 02:50 PM
I dont own one but I do remember the ride in one, corners like nothing else and was up on the plane in a flash. they are stable but its the handling what I liked.
MIKEY...

team_mongo
12-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Edgecracker!

No only joking, good boat for dams and eustary.

Very stable, quick on the plane, handles good.

Downside: hard ride when r u up and going.
sides arent very high

Otherwise a good boat!

George

sooty
12-04-2002, 05:09 PM
have prices ranging from $4200 to $4740 (hull only Edgetracker Tournament 3.85m) from 300 k north to 400k south of here. I can buy it 700 k north of Brisbane cheaper than I can in Bris http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm33.gif

Paul
16-04-2002, 05:02 PM
.Not sure about that Mongo,the Edgetracker3.85 is the highest in its class,with a depth of .825m. As for the price of the Tournaments,I would consider looking even further north.My shop is almost 1000Km north of Brisbane,and i am selling them for less than that,and still making a good quid,even after freight.
Regards,Paul

fatman
21-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Why have an Edgecracker when you can have a Hornet ;D 8) ;D
Hornets rule
FATMAN

sooty
23-04-2002, 05:13 AM
Why have an Edgecracker when you can have a Hornet #;D #8) ;D
Hornets rule
FATMAN

:-*Hey Fatman, You have an Edgetrackerfor a few reasons,

1; A saving of $1600-00 on a Hornet

2; The boss. handbrake,finincial adviser & missus says this is your budget stick to it

3; Why have a Hornet or a Edge when I can buy a Bermuda
3.9 Mangrove Deluxe and save $2960 on Hornet price and
$1300 on an Edge ??? These are hull price only.

Any comments on the Mangrove?

Good fishin Fatman, Regards. SOOTY :P

fatman
23-04-2002, 07:15 PM
Hmm where do I start.............. ;)

i bought a 390 Hornet with
a 3 cyl Yamaha 30, 2 stroke,
painted hull
front and rear casting decks
nav lights
bilge pump
front and side rails
Dunbier trailer
saftey gear and anchor
all rego's and boatcoded
total = $8,558
I did'nt get the Trophy model cos I could not justify the extra expense to get the wide extruded gunwhales.
I bought it mainly for the ride in choppy water, smoooooth as silk. I have been caught out in my last punt in a wind chop at Windemere and I 'm not sure what hurt more, the back or the loose teeth [img]. They also have a good side height for the kids and are very stable both at rest and moving.
To be honest, I almost bought an Edgetraker, but two people I know had them crack hulls within 2 years so that put me off them .
The last time I looked at the Mangrove it was just a more expensive version of a Hornet, but I think that Bermuda boats are now made by Allycraft, and not sure if they have changed much designwise.
Anyway , you have fun boat shopping, I dread ever doing it again, drove me and the missus nuts
cheers
FATMAN

Sniper
24-04-2002, 12:26 PM
A mate of mine had an "Edgecracker", took 1 ride in my Hornet 435 and went home and put his boat on the market. Sold it and bought one the same as mine. Thats how much he loved the ride and performance. He only had his edgetracker for 2 months before that too and it takes a lot to change his mind. Like they say, try before you buy!!!
Bill ;D

Sniper
24-04-2002, 12:27 PM
A mate of mine had an "Edgecracker", took 1 ride in my Hornet 435 and went home and put his boat on the market. Sold it and bought one the same as mine. Thats how much he loved the ride and performance. He only had his edgetracker for 2 months before that too and it takes a lot to change his mind. Like they say, try before you buy!!!
Bill ;D

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm11.gif

Smithy
24-04-2002, 07:05 PM
I have owned a 3.7m Heavy Duty Stessl Edgetracker since 1994 when I bought it new.

Back then there wasn't much choice, Quintrex were still making their Barramundi and hadn't released the Explorers, there were Allycrafts and Stesscos as well as the Savages and Stacers. I have heard of every brand cracking except the Stacers of which I know a couple of people running them without a problem. Don't think I have heard about any problems with Seajays cracking either but some mates did get their bottom sheets to start stretching around the ribs.

My Eggcracker has been welded numerous times but it keeps on going. I still think they are great boats. Mine has been where no 12' boat should really have been. The hull is a bit power hungry but not as bad as a Hornet. You hardly ever see a Stessl without a foil fitted for some reason. This doesn't bother me as I am a bit of a foil man. With the foil fitted and a small pitch propellor I am able to plane down to amazingly slow speeds. This helps in rough weather. In rough weather I can attack it in two other ways depending on the size of the chop. I can trim it right in and get the front of the hull slicing through the chop or I can trim it out and apply full power to get it to crest skim across the top. If it is really bad I can sit the nose up high and just keep on the plane at about 9 knots.

I have never felt unsafe in it even after wearing some waves in Somerset that were short and sharp due to a 30+knot westerly or when going through Pancake Ck bar when a few stood up on me and we sliced the top off them. Offshore it has been a great boat so long as the waves don't get so high or so short so as to be higher than the depth of the hull which is about 0.6m. The beauty of the hull is you can't broach it. I can surf the waves any which way and not get into trouble because it is essentially a punt. It has great bow recovery because of this as well.

I like the Hornets and I have found the Explorers to be just that bit more stable, probably due to the extra beam. If it was me it would come back to price. If the Explorers were out when I got my Stessl I probably would have bought one purely for the value for dollar. In 1994 prices the hull only prices were $1350 for the Explorers and $1750 for the Stessl. I went for the Stessl because it had the most ribs which made me think it would be stronger. This maybe works against them making them too stiff leading to the cracks. The Savages and Stacers do fine with rivets and this probably alleviates the stresses. Savage also fully weld the gunnel which would have to help with the cracking issue. If you can afford it I would reccomend double gunnels or full gunnels to also spread the stresses. Most of my ribs have cracked up off the gunnel. I have also had some major cracks in the bottom sheets but then I have done a lot of work and they are only 1.6mm thick. 2.5mm or 3mm bottom sheets would be well worthwhile.