PDA

View Full Version : GPS

adriancorrea
24-04-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi there all
Im thinking of buying a gps and would like to get the opinion of you guys as most of you problably have one and could tell me a thing or two about them
Thanking you all in advance
Adrian

adrian
24-04-2002, 03:48 PM
hi adrian
here is a few things about gps. first i will not recommend any brands to you as the choice is yours and so is the budget.

a gps works off satalites in space . the more of them the gps can track at once the better it is as the error is smaller eg four is ok 8 is better 12 is better still. the number of waypoints a gps can store is good more is better . a waypoint is a spot on the water or land which you want to come back to ( boat ramp ) or a reference point ( beacon ) . with beacons mark the ones that are near the boat ramp that you use the most sounds silly but in the rain or at night its easier to come home on the gps than where is the next beacon . the gps makes a map of where you have been until you clear it , this map can help you get home if you clear it after every trip. a goto function is just that it tells you how to get to a waypoint in a straight line not the best idae fi you type in home when on the bay as home may be the backyard.
or if the fishing spot is around the otherside of a breakwater or island . routes are just waypoints that you have typed in ( beacons in my case ) that head to areas you want to visit
other thing is make sure that the unit has a battery saver function on it this will help to save your battery backup
the gps should be easy to use when making waypoints and gerenal use
the info should help you to decide what one to buy test them all take your time don't be pressured in to one that you don't feel comfy with .

anzac

Kerry
24-04-2002, 05:29 PM
I'm totally neutral as well #;D so for some general background info (in no specific order) try

http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/GPS/gps_tutorial_01.asp

http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/

http://www.thalesnavigation.com/pages/agGps.htm

Cheers, Kerry.

Solarman
28-04-2002, 05:11 PM
Adrian, I have a base model Garmin 12 hand held GPS. I have found it to be totally reliable (as they all probably are) and easy to use once I understood the basic function of each screen (page display) to the point where, when looking for a new sounder I could walk into Garmin display of sounders and operate them straight away.
I must say that I don't think the alkaline batteries last as long as they claim but then nor does my mobile phone. If you do any 4-wheel driving and use co-ordinates from a map or a text with them in you'll find they travel quite well on the dash and work fine. A great way to check the speedo on your car or boat too.
If you have a larger boat then you'll probably buy one dedicated to the boat.
Mine is supposed to be safe under water 1 metre for a certain amount of time so I haven't worried about it in the rain as I have an open runabout, The only part of the information I don't trust is the altitude reading
Solarman

adrian
29-04-2002, 10:24 AM
solarman
have you changed the settings to battery saver mode as this doubles the battery life or better still put a 12 volt cigeritte plug in the boat and run the 12 volt cable

anzac

davo
29-04-2002, 01:07 PM
adrian

I've got a Garmin12 and it's been excellent. It will still read in small creeks with overhanging trees. I know at least a dozen others with various Garmins and no- one has had problems.

The Lowrance ones from my experiences have proven to be less reliable.

Davo

adriancorrea
29-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Thanks Guys
I'll keep this information in mind when I purchase my gps.
Thanks once again
Adrian