PDA

View Full Version : what depth sounder?

davo
25-05-2002, 05:11 PM
I'm looking at sounders at the moment and so far the short list is a Garmin 240 and maybe the Zercom units. While I've had Garmin GPS's and they have been excellent what about the Zercom units.

How well do the units cope with deeper salt water approx 60meters. Has anyone had failures and if so how good was the service?General performance for fish/structure etc... I find simulators don't even come close to true performance.

Due to prior bad experiences with Lowrance/Eagle I' m not interested in either, but I'm open to ideas in the $800's price range.

davo189
27-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Hey Davo,

Have you looked at the Raymarine sounders (formerly Apelco) and made by Raytheon in the States. I have a 365 which is an excellent sounder, dual freq (200/50Hz) with 300W output which works well in 200ft of water. Has speed and temp as well and one of the very few sounders which will sound with accuracy at speed with a transom mount TD.

With an $800 budget, you could go for the L470 which is the flasher model with bigger screen and 500W output. Have a look at the Oceantalk website - they are the AUS distributors. Oh, btw, Raytheon are also big in the auto pilot and sonar market and make heaps of flash stuff for the US and Aus Navy.

Cheers, Davo189... :)

Fitzy
28-05-2002, 08:28 AM
I've had a Zercom LPG 2000 (now called the Legend TFX 320) since they hit the shelves in Oz & have had no problems. Harro & Matty Mott (BP Dam Guide) also run them & they haven't had a problem either. I'm sending mine in to get the case changed over to the new one & they told me it would be a 2 day turn around.
Being a high frequency output, they are suited to shallow-mid depths, they should be good to around 200 feet.
If you're in Brisbane, go into Springwood Marine & have a look at them.

Hope that helps,

Fitzy..

krazyfisher
30-05-2002, 12:20 PM
what are the gps and sounders in one like??

davo
30-05-2002, 03:55 PM
Krazyfisher,

I once had a Shipmate GPS (Simrad) interfaced to a Marinetek Seamax colour unit. It was OK but I recommend separate units as there were times when I wanted the whole sounder. I've now got separate units and am much happer.
If space is the problem then go for but it's a compromise.

Fitzy
30-05-2002, 07:49 PM
Getting a bit off the original topic here, but anyway.
Looking at the x15s & x16s I recon they're pretty bloody good units. They should be too for the price tag.
I also wonder if you're loosing half the use of a good option. Each on its own is great. But I'm still leaning towards separate units myself. Also handy if one unit breaks down, the other still helps you to navigate. If a 2in1 packs it in you're up the proverbial creek.
Interested to hear others thoughts on the 2in1 units.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

lordy
31-05-2002, 08:34 AM
Getting a bit off the original topic here, but anyway.
Looking at the x15s & x16s I recon they're pretty bloody good units. They should be too for the price tag.
I also wonder if you're loosing half the use of a good option. Each on its own is great. But I'm still leaning towards separate units myself. Also handy if one unit breaks down, the other still helps you to navigate. If a 2in1 packs it in you're up the proverbial creek.
Interested to hear others thoughts on the 2in1 units.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

best thing about 2 units is that

1. you can upgrade one of them if you want

2. twice as much screen. you don't have to split one screen.

Smithy
16-06-2002, 06:27 PM
Look throught the pages a bit and you will see my opinion on the Raytheons/Apelcos/JRC's in previous posts. Stick with the Garmins, Legends/Zercoms or Eagle/Lowrances. Colour sounders are a different ball park.

Lucky_Phill
18-06-2002, 05:56 PM
Apart from being a Furuno man for sounders and Garmin for GPS,
2 seperate units are THE G O.

This split screening, menu mania is for the birds. ( no offence to you one unit ppl out there ). # :D

But the Furuno units are a bit over your budget here, so you'll have to take Fitzy's advice on the others. ;D

stocky
25-06-2002, 05:10 AM
I have a Raytheon L 365. It has been OK except that it has a sealing problem and I get some condensation behind the screen and my unit does not get wet as it is well protected behind the windscreen. I have read from some American sites that this appears to be a common problem. The other problem that has not occurred with my unit is that the clip mechanism on the transom transducer can weaken and continue to flip up whilst underway. I hope that this info helps.