PDA

View Full Version : Chain question

fisho
04-07-2002, 03:20 PM
Is there any sort of formula on how much chain to use on your anchor? I am fishing water 60 metres plus out of an 18 ft fibreglass boat. ???

bugman
05-07-2002, 07:43 AM
Fisho,
After many forms of trial and error I came up with a good formula for my heavy 16 fort haines 16C.
BIG diametre chain and LOTS of it.
I'm sorry I don't have the guage off hand but the links are probably 8cms long and I run nearly 4 metres of it. I used to drag all the time - outside and in the bay.
Shop proprieters told me I didn't need anything like that for my boat.
Now I don't drag!
Bugman

webby
05-07-2002, 04:50 PM
Hi, Chain should have 8cm or 10cm links, length of chain should be 3-4 m, the chain helps stop the anchor rope from fouling the bottom and being cut off by reef. your chain also acts as a shock absorber when riding at anchor. the longer the chain helps the anchor lie flatter on the bottom and gives better holding. I have a 18ft and using 10cm chain which is 3 m long and never breakaway or drift in the bay or offshore if anchoring. hope this helps
regards

Kerry
05-07-2002, 06:28 PM
One "rule of thumb" is the same length as the boat but does depend a little on the size, type and weight of anchor one is using.

Just remember that on the way up it's all dead weight so there's a bit of a balance between too little and too much (as far as anchor boys are concerned).

For staying put I use something like about 8m of 5/16" short link chain behind a 15lb plough on a 20 foot boat but then there's a few other factors like weight and draft that can also affect things.

Cheers, Kerry.

dnej
09-07-2002, 11:08 AM
The last post is what is recommended. One boat length,of 8mm does the job.
To be pecise 4.0 to 6.5m boat weighing 1.5 tonnes needs a minimum of 3.5 metres, with the boat length being much better than the minimum.
Boat lengths of 7 to 10.5, weighing 2 to 3.5 tonnes need min of 7 metres of 8 mm chain.
Regards David

Lucky_Phill
11-07-2002, 01:36 PM
It all seems as most things, a personal preference.

The following is a guide set up by a professional offshsore fishing guide.

Reef Fishing Ground Tackle.

Reef Anchor - 350 - 500 long galvanised shaft of 40 - 50mm diameter.

5 or 6 galvanised prongs of 10mm or 3/8" diameter, shortened and turned back.

fill core of anchor with lead.

approximate weight 5 - 7 kgs

Rope - minimum 200meters of silver rope, 8 or 10mm diameter.

Chain- 4 -6 meters of 6mm diameter galvanised chain.

Bouy- 300mm diameter foam bouy with hole through centre.

Ring- stainless 90mm wide.

This set up will suit all trailerable boats that fish offshore.

Depends on where you fish as well. I once done in some chain cause the thing was way too long and wrapped around a bommie when the tide changed.. Had to cut the rope. Bugga !