PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Trailer

SteveCan
16-09-2002, 02:36 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a V169 Sportsmancraft Contessa with a 70HP Evinrude. It's on old rig but in really nice original condition. I bought it privately and thought I got a good deal at $4500.

The only problem is that in my inexperience around boats I never considered the trailer. The one I got is a tinnie trailer modified to put my boat on and is very light guage metal which is starting to get serious cancer. I have had a quote for $500 to re-inforce the trailer. I have had other quotes for around $1200 to buy a new one.

Money is always an issue I guess. I think I would like to hang on to the boat for at least another few years before we upgrade. The trouble is I am unsure wether to repair or replace. Ideally I would like to get a decent second hand trailer but they seem rare as hens teeth.

What would you do?

Cheers
Steve.

jaybee
16-09-2002, 02:43 AM
hi steve
try active fabrication at beenleigh for most of your parts..only up for a frame then. hope this helps..i have a 16ft sportsmancraft just purchased a few months ago..nice boat.
cheers.

adrian
19-09-2002, 02:10 PM
hi steve
my choice would be to replace i know all about the dollar side but ,if cancer has started in one spot it will almost be somewhere that you can't see . sure if you fix the stuff you can see you might save now but will the problem raise it's head again or will the next repair be trying to find a trailer in some place far from home ? it's a costly job but i'd look ahead a bout a year down the road it might come back and bite harder again

Anzac

SteveCan
19-09-2002, 04:41 PM
Thanks Anzac,

I agree with you and in fact today I placed a deposit on a custom built trailer. It's not really in the budget, but it is going to give me a lot more confidence when towing etc and will just be a huge improvement. I also thought that a new trailer is going to add more value to the rig than a patch up job. So, like all things fishing - In the long run it is better to do it the right way, first time. It will probably cost less in the long run. ;)

I am still going to miss the cash though... :(

Cheers
Steve