PDA

View Full Version : Run over by fishing boat

intheway
25-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Hi,
First time on and I would like help.On Friday morning while drift fishing off Pt.Cartwright a bloody big fishing boat tired to run over the top of me.Fortunately he ended only hitting us in the left rear.Now the help I would like is does anyone know of a good fibeglass boat repair.The damage is where the hull,transon and top section of the boat meet.There is also damage to the motor cowling and fender rubber.The skipper of the boat wants to pay for the damage instead of me going though my insurance.So I want to get a couple of quotes,get the money off him and get the repairs underway A.S.A.P.I have rung my boat insurance but they do not have any recommended repairers The wife and I were very,very lucky.I hope someone will be able to help me.
Thanks.

Big_Kev
26-09-2002, 02:28 AM
If you give Tony a call at gale force boats . The number will be in the qld fishing monthly under hid add in the back somewhere .
He should be able to help you out .

Heath
26-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Get yourself to the nearest Police station & report it.

what the hell was he doing to not keep an eye out where he was going. i would go through my insurance for sure, he did you no favours smashing into your boat, so why do him one.

also if you go through insurance you may have some claim if there is any unseen damage that rears it's ugly head further down the track.

Kerry
27-09-2002, 03:24 PM
Does sound like a reportable marine incident, does sound like it doesn't want to be reported.

Cheers, Kerry.

Lucky_Phill
27-09-2002, 03:33 PM
Heath and Kerry are spot on. Report it asap. go thru insurance, that's what it's for. ;)

Johno
27-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Mate, you have no choice, it has to be reported, like the other guys have said he did you no favours by hitting you.
I have had my car hit by a fella who promised to make things right and it was the worst mistake. Just follow the book to the letter and at least you will have someone else in your corner if / when things get sticky.
Best of luck.
Johno

intheway
27-09-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice.Within an hour of them towing us to the boat ramp I reported it to the Queensland Transport Marine Dept at Mooloolaba.I dont know what action they will take.I also wanted to have an official record of it in case responsibility was denied at a latter date.The reason for the accident,I doubt if I will ever know.His excuse,the sun was in his eyes.It was 9-9.30 in the morning.So ask yourself.Good point about future problems.Will discuss it with the insurance tomorrow.I spoke to them on the day of the accident.I have my doubts that when it comes to getting the money he will be willing to pay,of course I want the money before the boat goes in for repair.Will let you know the out come.I just checked in the boat safety handbook and all marine accidents should be reported within 48 hours.