PDA

View Full Version : How to name a boat?

krazyfisher
09-01-2002, 04:35 PM
The time has come it has to be named. 435 hornet how or where do I get some ideas from?
thank s

adrian
09-01-2002, 04:49 PM
hi
i've got the same problem but it sometimes goes by the name of convertor ( convertors alot of money into noise and no fish :'( ) maybe something to do with hornet like hungry hornet or the type of fishing you do like blazing barra or fly 'n tie .
anzac

krazyfisher
09-01-2002, 04:57 PM
Well the type of fishing I do or the typr of fish I catch I reckon
FAR CALL but might get people on the wrong side

mossy43
09-01-2002, 06:27 PM
Krazyfisher sounds like a good name for the boat?? ????? Just to change the subject how do you find the hornet, I have heard a lot of good news about them but not from people who own them so please give us the inside scoop. ;D

Luke
10-01-2002, 04:14 AM
Gday Krazy,
don't call it the Quintex Quintrex or you might have Andrew Denton and Amanda Vanstone as your deckies :)

krazyfisher
10-01-2002, 02:25 PM
Mossy
For the fishing I do it is perfect got the standard one which already has front cast deck and 3/4 floor very smooth ride it seems to be riding on the air and water mix which makes is smooth very stable to fish from great in med chop dry not a deep sea boat but for smooth water dont know if I could find better

mossy43
12-01-2002, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info on the hornet Krazyfisher at least it comes from the horses mouth and not from a salesman good stuff. I am very interested in the standard version with a couple of changes. I still feel Krazyfisher would be an ideal name for your boat. cheers ;D

Fitzy
13-01-2002, 09:04 AM
For my new boat I wanted an aboriginal name for it. I seached high & low till I found "Tarcoola" which means River bend or Bend in the river in a central NSW dialect.
Sounded OK to me so I used it.

Fitzy..

Katrina
13-01-2002, 04:14 PM
::) Lucky me, mine's named after the mother in law - ( it did belong to the father in law, not a mummy's boy!) LOL!

Jack_Lives_Here
15-01-2002, 08:07 AM
I picked a name that has a dual reference. "Jack Lives Here Too" because I live for catching jacks anywhere, anytime and I don't mind a drop or twenty of the JD. ;D

doorstop
15-01-2002, 03:26 PM
"Krazyfisher" sounds OK to me.
I named our (note the crawl there) boat ater my wife and myself, it is named "Emansea".... our initials, M&C.... it gets a lot of questions.

Zeeke
30-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Sorry to dredge this up from the past hehehe.. but i noticed the name Far Call.. ive been seeing a hornet here on the maroochy river a bit.. and its name was Far Call.. and.. i think i saw an Ausfish sticker there somewhere..

Same boat??

Tim

spindles
31-05-2003, 02:48 AM
I named my boat marian. my wifes second name is mary. my second name is ian.

Zeeke
31-05-2003, 05:20 AM
mines named "Lure Assassin"

Dr_Dan
31-05-2003, 06:44 AM
I think I should change my boats name from About Time to Bloody Big Hole For A Hell Of A Lot OF Money!!!!!!!!

Good name I saw on a speed boat once was

reeba evah

(have a beer spelt backwards.)

Dominator
31-05-2003, 11:30 AM
My boat is called the Defecator. ;D ;D

It got this name from a nasty habit my brother-in-law (Araby Dog) has involving him and a 20L bucket.

Cheers,

Dominator.

desertfisher
31-05-2003, 11:40 AM
My 12 foot tinny is called "tinytanic",, it's a long, wet story. ;) ;D

gcbfc
31-05-2003, 02:33 PM
boatnames.com.au has an excellent link to a list of amazing boat names. BTW. Their service is second to none and this is NOT a paid ad !

They have looked after a mate of mine in Sydney really well.

Cheers

Wayne

Smithy
01-06-2003, 12:09 AM
The 435 Hornet "Far Call" getting around on the Maroochy River would be Greg "Tongi" Tongs from the Sunshine Coast Sportfishing Club.

Other Far names are "Far Canal", "Far Cough" and "Far Quirk".

Brett_Finger
01-06-2003, 03:22 AM
Mine is called, "EmilyzarbarzootzootMcfart" the 3rd. ;D
my good friend had the 2'nd before he passed.
Hookin,Brett

Zeeke
01-06-2003, 05:07 AM
Ahh yep... i think i remember seeing something bout the sportsfishing club.. and ANSA stickers too.. looked like a nice boat...

Tim

xxxxhornet
01-06-2003, 04:48 PM
How about "wet as a Shag'?
Try the horsies section in the paper - mix up a few of those names.

I called mine Fly'nFish because I want to do a bit of fly fishing as well......and the hornet 'flys'.

cheers

drevil
03-06-2003, 03:38 AM
I looked at my 12 foot tinny the day I bought her and said..."I shall call her 'Tinface'.

Tinface remains her unofficial name to this day.

(Fans of the Simpsons may relate to this tale.)

sooty
03-06-2003, 05:02 AM
As I tend to spend most of my time (and money) fishing the freshwater creeks and dams chasing Sooty Grunter, Barra and Saratoga i called my Edgetracker "Grunter Hunter" ::)

Jethro
03-06-2003, 12:15 PM
What about "The Dog House".

Where is Jethro? He's in the ....................

Im sure you get the idea.

Cheers

Jethro ;D

PG
05-07-2003, 05:02 AM
I've seen names like "Bit on the side", "Girlfriend", "The Other Woman" and so on...I figure something like "Gone Wishin' ".

staggy
06-07-2003, 04:09 PM
As I just fish for fun Iv named my tinny "CHUCKEMBACK"

Staggy

locomotion
08-07-2003, 06:17 PM
;D 8) well the time has come for me to but when you have a lot of idiosycincrosies then it comes a little easier so being i pick the boat up tuesday yhe naming ( well when it gets to the water anyhow ) comes easy of corse it helps when your a little crazy thou so if in the not to distant future you see locomotion on the side of a 5 mtr nova hull be sure to give me a wave LOL ;D

PinHead
09-07-2003, 12:29 AM
"locomotion"

Must be a Kylie Minogue fan huh ???

bugman
09-07-2003, 04:55 AM
Before she went down mine was named Poca-hontis :-[ :-[. Bad luck to change the name on a boat I was told - well I didn't change the name and I still had bad luck >:( >:(.

Best I've seen was at Fraser this year.

Beer Dead Clam

hah hah ;D ;D

Lucky_Phill
09-07-2003, 04:52 PM
What about " Itsa Heepa " boat at Fraser Brett, and it was !

As you guys know, I haven't got a name on my girl yet, but this ones just about to get put on. I need some feedback. Mia Culpa..............

For those who want to know, it's Latin.

for

I'm Guilty. Yes it's deep , I know.

Phill ::) :P

swano
09-07-2003, 05:18 PM
ya named her yet krazy ??? what about "LET'S GET ORNET"

big_george
09-07-2003, 06:17 PM
What about..Daiwanut. ;D
haven/t named my boat as yet.Still looking.If it was green i was going to call it scum frog.It's white .Thinking of calling her trash. ;DShe comes befor my wife . :-X.
cheers george. ;)

krazyfisher
09-07-2003, 07:43 PM
when I posted this I was on my 2nd boat, now I have just got my 4th time flys still I want to name this one ;D

jaybee
10-07-2003, 02:08 AM
So Krazy did you get to name it after all this time, ???

Paul_C
10-07-2003, 03:54 AM
I've seen a few corkers in recent times, like the rattler I saw towed through Kilcoy one day called "Shirley Bassy", and one that I also use for a machine I have at work "The Money Pit" and "She'll Do" and "I'tll Do" and "She'll Float". But I always said that my next boat would be called " O she ann" as in, What are you doing on the week-end? I'm going fishing in the Osheann, but when it finally happened, I had turned to the Fresh and I suffered the same problem as you and debated the issue with myself for that long, I never did name that boat.

My latest boat, also a hornet got the renaming treatment, to, "Wild Thing" mainly because it's black and it's a wild looking thing, and partly because it was a sponsored by a particular boat dealership and part of the name was already on her.

Regards
Paul Cade

drevil
11-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Over at the Moreton wrecks last Sunday and a boat came in the the name "Gayway" written in bright green. Don't think I'd ever be seen dead scippering (or climbing out of) a boat called Gayway after a day out with a bunch of blokes. [smiley=blush.gif]

peterbo3
11-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Phill,
I think it is spelt "Mea culpa". Put it on the Big Rig with the wrong spelling and it WILL be your fault. [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif] [smiley=oops.gif]

aido
11-07-2003, 02:39 PM
whats the lowdown on re-naming a boat with the same name?
i was beginning to think my boat may be jinxed because of this.
at least the motor is, 2 power head blowups within the first 45 hrs !!!
least logic prevails and a factory fresh powerhead comming saturday.
woo hoo, can't wait.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dessaix/boatname.jpg

spooky mask, can see why someone got rid of it.
indicates gayness to me, what do you think drevil??
no amount of mek, iso alcohol or buffing can get rid of it... sigh.

peterbo3
11-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Looks like a respray of flowcoat over the old decals or signwriting. Repaint the mask & your troubles will be over. ;D ;D ;) ;)

Lindy
12-07-2003, 04:42 AM
I don't think renaming a boat is good 'karma' - ours is called the Valkyrie - which Steve said was a viking name or something similar. That sounded a good strong sort of reference to have for our 5m Sportsmancraft runabout.

But when I looked up the meaning in a dictionary it means -

Valkyrie
n : (Norse mythology) one of the maidens of Odin who chose
heroes to be slain in battle and conducted them to
Valhalla

???

Now I'm not so sure about it - but still it's the boat's name so it stays!

Lindy