PDA

View Full Version : I need to buy a tinnie

thunder
12-09-2002, 05:31 PM
Over the years I've had 3 fibreglass boats ranging from 17ft to 36ft all of them useless to fish off. Now I'm retired I'd like to buy tinnie and (lucky me) my wife is nagging me to do something about it.

I really thought it would be very simple, we want something made locally in Qld that had a good brand name. Little did I know just how many good boats are made locally.

We have about 10k to spend. About 4.2 metres seems to be about the best size for us to handle.

You seem to have to pay a premium for centre console boats so I guess we might have to settle for a forward control one, with everything as simple and easy as possible. I used to be known as Captain Sandbank so the missus says she likes something that "we can lift it off if we get in trouble" (no respect that woman)

We recently saw a Quintrex 420 Getaway (I think) in a yard at Capalaba for $10,990, it really appealed to us, in fact we fell in love with it but when we went back to buy it someone had already beat us to it.

Not being very mechanical minded I think we need something about 2-3 years old.

My main problem is that I really don't know what questions to ask when looking for a tinnie.

I know this is all very vague but I really would appreciate any comments or advice from some of you more experienced owners.

thunder
12-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Further to my last email (sorry for sending it twice) the boat would only be used 2-3 times a month and we would not be crossing any bars.

clutter
12-09-2002, 07:47 PM
If you don't mind a tiller steer. You can buy a brand new Stessco RV 420 Catcher. Wynnum Marine (I think) do a package for about $8000. Comes with a 30hp Yamaha, trailer, padded swivel seats, floor, front and rear casting decks, wide gunwalls. Pretty strong boat with a 3mm bottom. You can also get that hull with a windscreen and forward steer. Give George a ring anyway. Try Northside marine also.
Clutter.

Big_Kev
13-09-2002, 01:34 AM
Gday Thunder , a bit of advice on a boat I once owned . It was a 4.2 forward control . top little boat , you could sit in the front and fish over the back tucked in behind the windscreen out of the wind . The screen did get in the road when fishing but , and the biggest problem was the ride . You will find a stark contrast betwwen big glass boats in the past and a fwd control tinnie . As soon as a bit of chop came up rough as guts , its a wonder I have kidneys left . But then again people who own Quinnies say that the millenium hull is a good ride , (better say that or Ill cop it off owners) . But I think if I were to buy onother forward control tinnie I would want to put it into a bit of chop first . If you stick to tiller you would save some dollar or buy more boat . I hope this is of some help. regards Reel Hard .

Johno
13-09-2002, 05:09 PM
Hi Thunder,
I have had a Getaway 420 with a 40 EFI Merc for about 12mths. It's a great little unit that serves most jobs around the Sunshine Coast. Works well up the creeks and in the passage. I have used it to reach the close reefs outside with no problems, just watch the weather and try to pick the right day.
If the wind and chop do come up on the way home, you will find that they handle it fairly well as long as you don't thrash them.
Good luck, there are plenty of good buys around. Johno ;D http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif

thunder
18-09-2002, 04:31 PM
THanks for the help gents. I think the Quinnies will win my business and whilst I may get more boat with a tiller steer I like reel hard's derscription of the shelter with a forward steer and windshield.

I've also decided to get a second hand one so the search is on. Once again thanks for all the advice

Silver_RX
21-09-2002, 12:37 PM
May I suggest an Ally Craft Top Ender. 4.1m with 30hp merc on trailer with a few extras from Cunninghams marine for $8300.

thunder
21-09-2002, 04:06 PM
Hi s-pac, don't know the Breezeabout and can't find it in the Quintrex web site, is it a discontinued model?

I am in Brisbane, not sure where you are but maybe I should have a look at it sometime. I definitely like the Q's

thunder
21-09-2002, 04:10 PM
Hi Silver_RX, I don't know too much about the Ally craft but there are a lot of them around so they must be pretty good. I got the impression as I'm shopping around that they have a pretty deep draft and seem very "beamy", would this be right?

Certainly the price is right.

Flynny
21-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Hi Thunder,
The breeabout is indeed a superceded model now known as a Getaway, the getaway is basically a fully optioned version of the same boat.

thunder
21-09-2002, 06:35 PM
Thanks Flynny, the Getaway is way ahead on my scoreboard to date so I guess the breezeabout would be worth looking at.

Many thanks for the response

Flynny
21-09-2002, 06:58 PM
Hi Thunder,
The breezeabout is indeed a superceded model now known as a Getaway, the getaway is basically a fully optioned version of the same boat.They are a great little boat we do very well with them , with the older fraternity.
I think any form of bar-crossing would be ambitious exept perhaps on the very calmest of days. Bar -crossing is not what the boat is about ,rather it is a comfortable small estuary boat.
The Boat Goes best with 40h.p,however 30 does the job quite well.
Second hand good ones are hard to find,we seldom have one for more than a few days.
Good luck in your search.
fLYNNY

Silver_RX
24-09-2002, 08:05 AM
I don't know about the draft but they do have a large beam, I think its 1.95m. It would make for a stable boat though. I am considering one for myself in the not to distant future.

brumbs
15-07-2003, 06:31 AM
i have a new stessl 4.3 edge vee for sale
with tournament live well fitted and a sit down centre console mounted can sell with or without motor

yellabass1
27-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Yes you would be right in saying that i have a ALLY craft4.45 KAKADU karrier side console and i think it rides the chop better than my previous 5.4m savage cuddy cab ally boat

fishing_tails
29-07-2003, 12:45 AM
[smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] i reckon with the wife complaining you will need a tinny since i cant send you the beer...You'll just have 2 have a virtual..beer,sorry mate 8)