PDA

View Full Version : Throttle and gear cable

Maccatak
30-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi Fella's,
I recently had to have the gear cable replaced from the control box to the motor as it snapped which set me back $115.00 - $55.00 for the part and $60.00 labour. The marine shop advised me that the throttle cable should be replaced as well to be on the safe side due to the age of the boat.I asked if I purchased the part could I fit it myself but they said it has to be adjusted right or you will have problems. Have any of you done your own and if so how difficult is it? Just trying to save some doe. The boat is a 1975 Evinrude 135hp.

Thanks for any advice
Grant

blaze
30-04-2004, 05:53 PM
have a go your self
take perticular notice how the old one comes out and make your adjustments the same as the one you remove, there is generally a thumb adjusting wheel on the engine end, that should be the only thing u need to adjust. take it nice and easy and just study each phase of dismantling
once you have done one u will nearly be a pro
cheers
blaze

argee
01-05-2004, 02:08 AM
$60 labour, that's criminal. It takes about 15 to 30 minutes to fit a cable. Maybe longer if it's a centre console and you have to remove the floor, but simple to do.
For the throttle cable, you should just have to remove the panel on the bottom of the control box, or split the box in half it's a newer version, remove the pin holding the cable in. Remove cable at motor end. It's usually held on by a locknut as well as a plate over the cable adjuster.
Fit new cable to control box and then just adjust the wheel-like adjuster at the motor end so that the throttle linkage is hard against the idle stop, and then fit the nut and plate.

Maccatak
01-05-2004, 03:12 AM
Thanks heaps Blaze and Argee,
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm sure I can manage that and save myself 60 litres of fuel in labour.

Thanks again
Grant

dnej
01-05-2004, 07:48 AM
Give Morse controls a phone on 32162200 Virginia, Brisbane. They supply the cables, just explain what you want, and they are only to happy to help
David

Fed
01-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Too bad they didn't give you the choice of changing them both at the same time.
I've changed a few in my day & I think $60 is OK.

bungie
01-05-2004, 11:07 AM
$60 labour, that's criminal. It takes about 15 to 30 minutes to fit a cable.

The guys in business, you want him to do it for a tenner ?? he has over heads, workshop, phones, power, advertising, signage, wages, insurance, out of the 60 he would be lucky to keep 30 for himself.

Get the feeling I'm self employed ?? ;D

argee
01-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah, suppose it's ok if they charge $240 per hour for labour. [smiley=jester.gif]

Big_Kev
02-05-2004, 12:23 AM
I would think that 60 is a minimum charge and would be his hourly rate. About 30 mins work, by the time you get the boat, do the job try it out and put it back, more if there are complications such as extra stuff to be pulled out or seized bolts/screws.
But I think he should have done both the cables at the same time and the labour cost would have been the same.
Did he give you that option?
Cheers Kev.

Maccatak
02-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Hi everyone,
Reel Hard it was only when I went to pick the boat up and asked him would it be advisable to replace the throttle cable as well that he said yes but this was going to cost another $115.00. Not knowing whether $60.00 per cable was reasonable I accepted his advice and told him when I could afford it I would get it done. That's when I contacted you blokes and wish I had of contacted you before i took it to him.
I really appreciate the help you blokes have given me now and in the past, I think I will attack this throttle cable myself and see how I go.
Thanks again
Grant