PDA

View Full Version : Best boat around

davoo
06-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Hey guys

I am looking to buy a boat for around the 20k mark for fishing and skiing
So far the best buys I've seen so far are the signature 492f with a 85hp suzuki and the haines hunter 520sf with a 90hp evinrude. Both are 1997 models and both boats are selling for about 18500. Another option is a 1995 signature 550br with a 1997 mercury 135hp-i was thinking this boat may be too heavy and guzzle too much fuel. Any thoughts?
I was wondering if anyone knew if these were good buys, if anyone knows about the weight and if they can be handled by a 1.8 l 4 cyclinder car. I've only noticed that the signatures look slicker than the hunter but i havent noticed any difference. Also is this a good time to buy a boat or is there a better season?
Thanks fellas.

Argle
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I dont think you would go too far wrong with any of the above, all good boats with good names and solid resale value. As with any used boat you need to have it checked out very carefully and take it for a test drive. I would be hesitant to do much towing with such a small car, although it could be done. I would check the towing capacity of your car against the BMT (boat motor trailer) weight of your intended purchase before purchasing.
Hope this helps but dont be afraid to ask more questions if you are unsure :-?

Cheers and Beers

Scott

2iar
06-04-2006, 10:13 AM
I garee with Argle on the boats. There's a bloke on here with a 492f (Impulse492 is his name funnily enough) fthat will be able to give you specifics on the boat.

However, I definitely agree about your tow vehicle. I've got a Signature 460df, which is a bit smaller than any of the rigs metioned. I'd still be hesitant about pulling it up a slippery boat ramp with a 4 cylinder.

However, part of any "test drive" could also include a tow, so you'll be able to jusge it better for sure.

Good luck,
Mike

spuderico
06-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Just a quick comment on the towing side of things. I have purchased a 4.7m Aluminium C/C and tow it with a big 2.4 cyl Camry. She pulls it well but I wouldn't like to do it for long! Heating and auto trans issues...

2iar
06-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Just a quick comment on the towing side of things. I have purchased a 4.7m Aluminium C/C and tow it with a big 2.4 cyl Camry. She pulls it well but I wouldn't like to do it for long! Heating and auto trans issues...

Hi Spud,

I reckon you'd like it even less if you had a glass boat and the added weight they bring. All of the boats mentioned above are fibreglass...

I've seen the pics of your boat, by the way. It looks great, and you're obviously having a ball learning the ropes, and making the same mistakes we all do at first. Keep it up, mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Good luck,
Mike

davoo
06-04-2006, 06:30 PM
thanx guys
Do you know if there is a difference in weight between the hunter and signature and also if a 90 hp is enough for towing
Also is a 550br with a 135hp much heavier and consume much more fuel than the other two boats i mentioned

cheers

davoo
06-04-2006, 06:30 PM
550br signature that is

2iar
06-04-2006, 06:42 PM
thanx guys
Do you know if there is a difference in weight between the hunter and signature and also if a 90 hp is enough for towing
Also is a 550br with a 135hp much heavier and consume much more fuel than the other two boats i mentioned

cheers

The Hunter will be heavier. I wouldn't know exactly but a dealer would be able to tell you the specs.

In the example you gave above, it's going to be a bigger and beamier boat (it's also got a bigger engine, so there's every likelihood that'll be heavier too), and I'm sure there's something in the composition of the fibreglass (the "weave" would be an extremely un-technical term for it) that makes Signatures lighter to begin with (though this might be a recent development). The reason I know this is that I was tossing up between 2 very simliar Hunter/Signature boats before I made my choice.

The 550BR may be a similar weight, with a different centre of gravity as it doesn't have a cabin, but again it's a bigger boat which normally means weight. The engine will definitely be heavier.

Fuel consumption is hard to say. The 135hp will likely be higher of course, but if you're only ever doing half revs on it, it might have similar consumption to the smaller motors running closer to WOT.

If the dealers can't help, you could always tow each rig to a weighbridge to find out the exact weights of each rig. I reckon you still might have to look at a bigger car though.

Good luck, let us know how you go.
Mike

blaze
06-04-2006, 07:01 PM
for me its the one you OWN and can afford to run
cheers
blaze

davoo
06-04-2006, 07:13 PM
yeah well the 550br is a bowrider whereas the other boats are half cabins. Do you think thats make a difference in the weight

delugar
06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
hi can you tell me what freedom sport are like :)

2iar
07-04-2006, 01:26 AM
yeah well the 550br is a bowrider whereas the other boats are half cabins. Do you think thats make a difference in the weight

See this bit in my post above:

The 550BR may be a similar weight, with a different centre of gravity as it doesn't have a cabin, but again it's a bigger boat which normally means weight. The engine will definitely be heavier.

The only info I can find is:

550BR Hull Weight: Approx 600Kg, Towing Weight (Outboard) Approx 1500Kg
493F Hull Weight: Approx 450Kg, Towing Weight Approx 1180Kg

Both of these models were the latest specs, I don't know if they are correct for the age you've mentioned. Couldn't find anything for the Hunter 520SF. Sorry.

If you can't get specs from a dealer, take them to a weighbridge.

Good luck,
Mike

impulse492f
07-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Here you go,

Its a Haines Signature 492F Dec 94 model it cost me $16K, the boat in excellent condition with only 234 hours on the clock. The 85 Suzuki (93 model) pulls 60Km (32 knots) and is more then enough for skiers. I've had 4 large adults and 2 12y/o kids up on the plan in seconds. This hull is rated to a maximum of 90 hp.

It glides across the water beautifully with its 33-21 degree hull, some people say that due to the step V in the hull that the signatures aren’t stable at rest. I find it great, it does role a bit when 2 big guys go to one side but only rolls to a certain point then locks up and won’t roll any further.

At times it can be a bit tight on room but it’s a balancing act between room and cost, the bigger the boat the more fuel, the bigger the car etc so I balance this out with better organisation within the boat, where people sit, the storage of items etc.

This is my first boat and I love it, I purchased it a week before Xmas and have used it every weekend since and sometimes during the week as well.

The Signatures hold there re-sale value really well, the guy i bought it off bought it for $15,750 2 years ago. I have seen this model up around the $23K mark.

More pics of here are here http://members.iinet.net.au/~apmoon/haines492f/

Also look at the 493F which is a re-vamp of the 492F. You cant buy it new but the can see it here. http://www.haines-signature.com/catalog/fishing/493f.htm

The 492F specs (as bought)

Length: 4.87m (with Bowspit 5.33)
Beam: 2.01m
Hull: 33-21 degrees Signature Variable Deadrise Hull (SVDH)
Capacity: 5 adults
Fuel Tank: 90L under floor (I fitted in dash gauge)
Hull weight is 420Kg
Trailer is 235Kg
85 Suzuki Motor is 122Kg
live bait tank
Built in esky
3 x bait cutting boards (on top of the 3 rear hatches)
Anchor well
Bowsprit with roller
Ski pole
Swim/Ski stern platforms
Bow Rail
Cabin lights: twin fluro’s
Deck lights & Nav lights
Carpet (removable)
Side storage areas (2 levels down each side & 1 level in cabin)
CAV water separator fuel filter
Stainless 13 1/4 x 17 Prop
Marine Radio
AM/FM/MP3/CD player with 2 speakers
Fishfinder (the unit that came with it failed so I installed a new one)
Swivel front seats
Removable rear seats (so you can walk right to the back of the transom)
GPS (I bought and installed this).

Let me know if you need any other details.

2iar
07-04-2006, 07:28 AM
hi can you tell me what freedom sport are like :)

There's a discussion going on right now about them here:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1144156530

Jump in to that thread and the guys might be able to help with any specific queries.

Good luck,
Mike

impulse492f
07-04-2006, 07:32 AM
I can also scan in some magazine write-up if you want; I've managed to collect a few and its taken months. Let me know and I'll send them.

2iar
07-04-2006, 08:02 AM
More pics of here are here http://members.iinet.net.au/~apmoon/haines492f/

Looks great mate, you got to love those Signatures. I've got a 460, so particularly interested.

A couple of questions, which I hope you don't mind me asking:

1. I can see speakers, but not the stereo. Where have you placed it?
2. Isn't the compass supposed to be in the centre of the hull, or does this not matter?

Thanks.

Good luck,
Mike

impulse492f
07-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Looks great mate, you got to love those Signatures. I've got a 460, so particularly interested.

A couple of questions, which I hope you don't mind me asking:

2. Isn't the compass supposed to be in the centre of the hull, or does this not matter?

Thanks.

Good luck,
Mike

The stereo is placed directly in front of the port seat mounted under the deck overhang on a tilting bracket (in a splash proof housing). Its not in the way of the passenger knees as it sits further forward. You can just see it in the "dash" photo on the website just below the cup holder.

No it doesn't matter, the only thing you need to be careful of is interference from other metal items in your cabin as these will rotate the compass. In fact if you mounted the compass in the center you would not be able to gauge a true reading due to parallax error. I had a 2nd compass which i used as reference when mounting to make sure the was no interference.

PADDLES
07-04-2006, 01:41 PM
G'day davoo, we bought a 1993 signature 550br with a 1993 135 merc on it late last year. It's like all bowriders and a bit of a compromise for fishing but can still comfortably fish 2 to 3 depending what fishing you're doing. Also bowriders are a little light on weatherproof storage compared to a half cabin style. Where they are the winner is as a fun day boat that gets you where you want to be and also gives you plenty of usable deck space. I bought my 550br as a family boat first and fishing second (doesn't always happen in this order). The signature rigs are just awesome though in a bit of sloppy water like we get up in the top end of the bay. Did a run from home last tuesday over to the wrecks for a snorkel (about 75k's on the gps) and whilst i haven't filled it up again yet it's looking like it'll take about 50 odd litres. That was sitting on about 4k most of the time and coming back in about 15 knots of breeze. What dollars are they chasing?