PDA

View Full Version : Trailer suspension placement???

Heno
26-05-2006, 07:08 PM
how do I figure out where to place the suspension on my boat trailer? :-/
the mud guards and sring hangers are welded onto a large piece of angle and can be placed anywhere along the trailer...was given to me in three pieces so the price was right , just need to put it together.
any help greatly apreciated.
heno.

seatime
26-05-2006, 07:47 PM
on some trailers it depend on ur towball weight. somewhere in ur car manual, or towbar recommendations, will be towing weight and towball weight. the towball weight determines how much weight is allowed down on the hitch. u don't want a trailer that hits u in the mouth or one u can't lift easily (jockey wheel excepted). it may be a case of trial and error to find the right balance.
regards

Blackened
26-05-2006, 07:59 PM
G'day
There may be a rule of thumb so to speak. Just ask Grand Marlin. If pete doesn't know, no one will.
Dave

finga64
26-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Start with the axle about 2/3 of the way back. Bung the boat on and see how much weight is on the drawbar. If too much weight on the drawbar simply move the axle back until the right weight exists on the drawbar.
If too little weight on the drawbar or if the rear of the boat wants to hit the ground simply move the axle forward until the right weight is on the drawbar.
Weight on the drawbar refers to the weight that will push on the towball and should be from 20kg up depending on size of boat and the weight allowable on the towball from the towbar manufacturer.
The correct weight depends a lot on the ability of the trailer to tow well. Too little weight on the drawbar could make the rear of the trailer swing and maybe jack-knive and too much weight will make the tow vehicle too light too steer and could cause the trailer to jack-knive so a balance between the two must be made.
I put about 20-60kg on the drawbar and seems to suit me just fine (my biggest boat is just 5m) but other blokes will have a different opinion pending the size of their boats.
Cheers and good luck with the mecano set #:)
Scott

Heno
26-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks for your help guys. :)
Loved my mechano set as a kid. Cheers.

ahoj
27-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Heno,

Make your boat balance on a round pipe and mark when it balances( With Motor and all gear) The mark on your boat is where you add your axle PLUS 20CM BACK... THAT IS FOR A BOAT Now for trailer mark the balance centre same as boat and also go back 20 cm that should give you perfect running trailer with a balanced boat. and depending on your size of boat will always have a weight on draw bar... Cheers

Ahoj