PDA

View Full Version : What kayak do you have

MagicRik
12-07-2006, 04:20 PM
I want a kayak and ive been looking around for a bit now.....ive seen some really good kayak and ive made a short list.
Viking Tempo fisherman, Hobie mirage quest fisherman/sport fisherman and Feel free Nomad.
Ive seen the feel free for $815 but i cant find any prices on line for the other two.
If anyone knows where i can get the prices could you drop me a link.
If any of you guys have any of the kayaka listed what are they like?

Thanks Rik

Canoedle
12-07-2006, 04:35 PM
http://www.akff.net/forum/index.php
mate, check this site out, lots of info, links to retailers etc, there's quite a few members on the sunshine coast too.
My opinion -
Viking Tempo is a huge beast of a kayak, very stable fishing platform with heaps of storage and room for mods, from memory fully fitted for under $1500 (more accurate pricing on akff)
Hobie mirage quest fisherman, looks like a beaut sleek yak for a hobie, my issue with hobies is being able to fish shallow water, the fins are very easy to damage if they come in contact with rocks or snags. Price? $2000+
Feelfree Nomad is a sweet little yak, I have seen one in action a few times and they are easy to handly and manouvre, reasonable options for mods and the price is bloody great.
One to add to the list, Viking Espri, this is what I paddle, for around the same price as the Nomad, it's a larger kayak, so should be slightly faster and should track better, is a bit heavier, therefore a little harder to handle. I have been happy with mine, and recommend you try all of these kayak out before purchasing.
What sort of fishing do you intend to do? What sort of gear do you want to carry? How tall/heavy are you? Any other requirements?

MagicRik
12-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Ok i want to target Jacks, jews,flattie, bream mainly fish the Maroochy River.
Im 5f 10" ,180lb, blue eye, brown hair not bad looking #;D
But im looking to put a sounder, motor, maybe a small live bait but that depends on the kayak.
And thanks for the link #:)

Thanks Rik

P.s thank for the heads up with the Viking Espri its like the Noman but bigger like you said :)

Fishin_Dan
12-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Im 5f 10" ,180lb, blue eye, brown hair not bad looking.... I like long walks on the beach and people running their fingers through my hair... ;D

:o

MagicRik
12-07-2006, 04:56 PM
lmao

Canoedle
12-07-2006, 04:57 PM
LOL Dan, you stirrer.
Rik, I reckon the tempo could be the go m8, it's got heaps of room to put doo hickys and wotsits on it, and if you really wanna go silly you could go the double and put the live bait well etc up front. Quite a few retailers between you and brisbane, one in particular at bribie lets you take any kayak in his range for a paddle, will have to look on akff to get a link. or you can just post on there asking the question, you'll find you will get a response very quickly. ;)

PS. I personally see no need for a motor as I was not a fit bloke (still not realy) when I started paddling and find a 6Km paddle to a fishing location no real problem now. It's just a huge expense that may not really be necessary.

Archer
12-07-2006, 07:00 PM
I personally see no need for a motor as I was not a fit bloke (still not realy)
Theres the understatment of the century! :D

Heno
12-07-2006, 07:48 PM
when I started paddling and find a 6Km paddle to a fishing location no real problem now.
:o Bugger that! drift fish your way there and back. The paddle is for beating sharks with. ::)

Canoedle
12-07-2006, 08:53 PM
;D I usually troll all the way m8, so it's not much faster than a good drift speed. get stuffed joe

Canoedle
13-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Aparently the Hobie Quest fisherman is a bit cheaper than I had quoted, under $1400, but not sure if that includes the mirage drive or is just paddle powered.

MagicRik
13-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the info Canoedle
And ive regesterd with AKFF too ;D

Canoedle
13-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Cool mate, my akff handle is YakAtak. ;)
Just to confirm, the Hobie Quest is a paddle only yak, no mirage (peddle) drive

shayned
13-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey Canoodle went to peppertown today to start the ball rolling. Checked the price of a new swing so that 2nd hand one mightent have been such bad value. Not that it matters as I'm still not totally ready. Lotsa toys there though.

Canoedle
13-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Cool mate, never been there myself, should really get in there some time. ::)

Fishin_Dan
13-07-2006, 05:39 PM
We can go there saturday morning before the run up to the Sunny Coast if you want Karl ;) Just pick me up in the morning, and I'll show you how to get there ;D

Canoedle
13-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Hmm, we should talk about this, I'll get my people to call your people and we'll do lunch. ;)