PDA

View Full Version : POLYCRAFT TALK

riverrat
09-09-2006, 06:30 PM
I think it is about time that this site has some topics specific to Boat-Type owers. So I'm starting Polycraft Talk.....the topic with stork or stalk........what ever you choose.
Friday I got a Frontrunner 455 with a 50 4 stroke Suzuki on the back. Well...........the kids have christened it the bathtub...well why not?
I got out of a 4.2 Bluefin open into this one, after months of thought and research and I'm glad I did. I have read that these are comfortabe hulls for what would be considered on the smaller size but this boat (price/size) is outstanding.

Ok you don't get the finnish of paint or glass but then I don't have to worry about the odd knock either.

Suzuki..........filled the 70 litre tank on Friday arvo (this is not bullshit)...put her into the water at Morningside and did the first 2 hours..from idle to up and down the rev range...today we put her back in and did at least 2.30 hours up to 5000rpm...up to Bulimba and out to the end of Fishermans Isalnds did a bit of chucking softies about and then back to Morningside. One the way home we were thinking the gas gauge was a bit dodgy and decided to fill her at the same Caltex as we did on Friday. $3.59 is cost at $1.15 a litre. We measured the distances on Google and came up with 50k.

To my calculations this thing is running on less than a doller an hour. What say you all. Quiet and the ride is dry and comfortable with two up. AND THE SUZI HAS 5 YEARS WARRANTY.

the same boat from Stace or Quintrex might be about........what K$8 more? but what would I have gotten for that $8000? Gotta go> come back with your comments

Pirate_Pete_Tas
09-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Sounds like you love your new pride & joy.

Join http://www.polyboatowners.com/forum/ to talk with like minded people

jim_likes_2_fish
09-09-2006, 08:04 PM
I have a 4.55 frontrunner with a 60 E-Tech and could not be happier. :)

sparky54
09-09-2006, 08:18 PM
I hope to pickup my new 5.3 cuddy with a 115 suzuki next week, it's been about a 14 week wait though.

gunnabuild1
09-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Mate if that fuel use is accurate that is incredible.Put a big smile on the dial.

riverrat
09-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the tip Pet. That site takes ages to get the nod to logon though but it looks interesting and I have a few questions that I might get honest questions to. Cheers, RR

riverrat
09-09-2006, 09:12 PM
RE THE FUEL USAGE: I'm going out again tomorrow, I'll fill her up on the way homa and post the results.

I considered the Evinrude ETECH and (be it right or wrong) felt that the sales people ( 2 brisbane dealers) tended to put down the opposition and up played the servicing period of 300 hundred hours or a very long period. Both indicated to me that I would not have to "lift the bonnet" for 3 years? and sniffed at the Suzi 5 year warranty.

On another scale, with the demise of Johnson (no more 2 strokes and Suzuki pulling out of their supply chain) (the gone bust rumour has to have some substance) Bombardier are left with a single outboard which really is a 2 stroke. This is their only outboard option? along with a limited dealership, a motor that requires a system analsys server for service (every 300 hours?)

Anyway that's why I opted out of the Etech (without malice)

boatboy50
09-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey Rat,

Not to discourage you, but i'm sure your breather system on your fuel tank is not working properly, making it hard to fuel. I know of two Poly's straight out of the factory which have had this problem. Up comes the floor and sort out the breather pipes, make sure theres no kinks!

Sparky, I just picked up my new 5.3 Bowrider. 115 Suzuki fitted this weekend and bimini Monday, hitting the water by Wednesday with run-in due to be finished before the end of the week. I will let you know how it goes!

Regards

Darren

TIM-DONSELAAR
09-09-2006, 10:56 PM
i have a tiller steer 4.1 poly open boat with a 30 hp 2 stroke electric start tohatsu,its a great boat but im thinking i might upgrade to a 4.55 frontrunner with a 50hp honda 4 stroke very soon,i just want a bit more comfort (polycraft padded seats) and forward/reverse control and trim and tilt would be great ohhh and a nice quite engine with great fuel economy.

go the poly's #;)

cheers tim

riverrat
10-09-2006, 12:07 PM
MORE ON THE FUEL USAGE.
Launched this morning at 8am (Colmslie) and got back to the ramp at 10.45a. Filled her up again on the way home and she took 10 litres, so this trip at 4200 to 4800 rpm constant makes 4 litres an hour. So the earlier reeding must have been due to the first two hours of the run in. Still pretty good in my book any one got readings on 4/50 Suzi's so I can compare.

Kiiks in the fuel lines...thanks for that info...instead of taking it back I'll lift the carpet and floor and take asquiz. Probably be a bit of crap under it as well...I flushed the under floor from front to back and washed out a small bung as well as bits and pieces of small polly.

I still can't come to grips with the rid, it's a knock out.

riverrat
10-09-2006, 12:10 PM
(Not to discourage you, but i'm sure your breather system on your fuel tank is not working properly, making it hard to fuel. I know of two Poly's straight out of the factory which have had this problem. Up comes the floor and sort out the breather pipes, make sure theres no kinks!)

On the breather pipe, if fuel comes out of it when the tank is filled, would that be an indication that the line is ok?

Thanks for your advise...The Rat

riverrat
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
DRAIN HOLES: Pirate Pete....At the front of the 455 Frontrunner this is a large hatch cover. It kind of seals by way of a channel under the cover. Should the bottom of the channel have drain holes? Mine fill with water when washing or rain and I had to spnger it out. I figure there ought to be holes as it won't make and difference the water is in the boat,,,may as well keep it in the same place.

An advice?

MrWong
10-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I love my poly .... plain aand simple the 5.30 OTTO BIN rules! :D

TonyM
10-09-2006, 04:16 PM
I like em so much I have 2! :)

TonyM
10-09-2006, 04:20 PM
and the funnest little boat in the world....

marlinqld
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
poly craft.... ;) :o wheelie bins on water ::) :o ;D ;)

never been in one to tell the truth

Mike

TonyM
10-09-2006, 06:05 PM
poly craft.... #;) :o wheelie bins on water #::) :o ;D ;)

never been in one to tell the truth

Mike

When you are eventually lucky enough to have been enlightened by riding in a Poly you will understand ;)

boatboy50
10-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey Tony,

Did you end up putting a bimini on yours?

Any suggestions you have for a soon to be 530 bowrider owner? Things to check or change?

Regards

Darren

Pirate_Pete_Tas
10-09-2006, 07:10 PM
DRAIN HOLES: Pirate Pete....At the front of the 455 Frontrunner this is a large hatch cover. It kind of seals by way of a channel under the cover. Should the bottom of the channel have drain holes? Mine fill with water when washing or rain and I had to spnger it out. I figure there ought to be holes as it won't make and difference the water is in the boat,,,may as well keep it in the same place.

An advice?

Sorry R Rat I dont have a poly boat as yet but when you can log onto Polyboatowners I ask on there as they have heaps of 4.55s.

I am looking to get a 5.30 Center Console

boatboy50
11-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Tony,

What prop are you running also? I'm probably going to run a 17" instead of the standard 19" to carry good loads. Any advoce?

And what about nav lights? Do you have any and where/how are they fitted?

This boat doesn't have much room for this sort of thing!

Regards

Darren

themisses
11-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Aarrh, It is time for us Poly owners to stand up and be counted!! We will be mocked no more!! I get great pleasure when people ask what kind of boat we have, by replying "A big plastic one". :D

Seriously though, most people are pleasently suprised at how well it rides and the stability. Not to mention how easy it is to maintain. :)
Cheers Kim.

TonyM
11-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Hey Tony,

Did you end up putting a bimini on yours?

Any suggestions you have for a soon to be 530 bowrider owner? Things to check or change?

Regards

Darren

hi Darren,

Haven't put a bimini on yet, however plan to when I get some spare time to discuss the options I've considered with uphulsterers (sp) - have also toyed with the idea of a fixed roof and haven't fully decided against it yet....

I'd suggest checking is the seat bolts as mine were loose, however that's possibly a one-off and certainly wasn't a big deal to fix. It's been a low stress boat and I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent in it, I just wish I had more time free to spend in it!!!! Other thing I noticed was the trailer axle was too far back putting too much load on the ball.

You must be getting excited - I know just how you must feel as that was me last year :D

TonyM
11-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Re the prop I'm running the standard 19 although don;t carry heavy loads. She revs out nicely and seems about right although I might have to check out a nice stainless one sometime soon...

The nav lights on mine are fitted to a small piece of Poly shaped to suit welded on to the boat by a local plastic welder. The initial fitout (wiring, electronics, lights) was done by Martin Marine here at Hervey Bay.

boatboy50
11-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks Tony,

My motor is now fitted, and she is getting a bimini as we speak. I will post photos for you when she's done, within the next few days.

I did all of the electrical fitout myself, and man they are a pain to do, up comes the drivers seat and floor just to run the wires! Not having access to the side decks is painful.

Where did you get the poly mounting for the lights? Polycraft or the local? I was thinking of having something made up in stainless or alloy to mount them on the side decks in front of the windscreen, with a shield to keep the lights from the drivers eye. The anchor light will hang from the bimini, up high and visable.

Did you get the side pockets fitted to yours? If so where are they, beside the driver or in the cockpit? I'm yet to fit mine.

Would you be able to post a close up pic of your nav light set up or side pockets? I will be looking to fit them within the next few days.

Regards

Darren

Roo
14-09-2006, 05:31 PM
I LOVE MY POLY :-*:D ;D :D

I thought i should shout it to the world. :P :-* ;)

boyzie
14-09-2006, 07:02 PM
just bought a 5.30 CC, having a 115 tohatsu bolted on the back next weekend. made the trailer myself and saved 2 grand. cant wait to get it in the water. could anyone possible post a pic of their console im having a few dramas deciding where to put everything ie sounder guages ect.
thanks

Loco_Pez
14-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Polys rule 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

going_phishin
14-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey everyone,
I just bought by first polycraft....Li'l Tuffy (Polycraft Tuff Tender) and I am really happy with it. I am thinking of putting in a full casting deck in with a space at the driver's seat to put my feet in and Mum & Dad are letting me borrow their 55lb minn kota riptide bow mount. I have been saving up for the boat since I was 7 years of age collecting alot of cow poop and breaking alot of macadamias along the way.

Cheers
Josh

Roo
15-09-2006, 09:20 AM
:) nice boat josh. I'd be interested in how you mount the minnkota. I've been thinking of getting a canoe for bassing in the creeks but a tuff tender would be so much more fun ;) especially with a 15hp outboard :P :P

cheers, roo.

themisses
15-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Congrats on your boat!! Well done that is fantastic!! I'm sure you have many fun hours to come. Enjoy, Cheers Kim. :)

pegasus
15-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Hi Guys,

R Rat,

I have a similar rig- 4.55 front runner- 50 suzi 4 s on the back- had it since May 05- 140 hrs up- fuel wise I think they re very economical.I reckon mine uses about 6.5 - 7 l (average) per hour over a fair range of operating speeds- w.o.t 50 km P/H (gps) cruise lates 20 s early 30 km P/H.

Reference drain holes- mine has a hole centre (between consoles) in that channel you talk of- an also a hole(bottom) in the 120 ltre forward storage area-this drains between the skins- some make this into a live well- you will also see a useful mods of cutting the lid and placing hinges on it- allowing you to stand on it yet still open to give access to that area.

Am very happy with mine- very versitile boat- creek,dam,river,bay near coast. Can't add much more to my toy, bait tank,berely bucket, plotter, sounder- matrix 37,vhf ,bimini- rocket launcher together plus clears, under seat tackle box storeage, min kota ap55 up front,DC batt mounted between consoles,side pockets x 2

oh ref - nav lites- mine where mounted to consoles but not much good there when the clears go up so re positioned to the rear portion of the front rails- keeping with the otto bin theme- used poly cutting board as the mounting base :) and are held using the existing rod holder mounts- if u dont have the lites already- you may consider the led ones- they sound good values- brighter an no globe hassles.

cheers

lew

jim_farrell
15-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Do any of you plastic boys know the comparitive weights of a 455 poly and an equivalent tinny?

going_phishin
15-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey orbyroo,
Apparently you need a plastic plate for the motor and then plastic weld it on to the boat. It will be just like putting on a normal minn kota from there.

Cheers
Josh

pegasus
15-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi Flick.

poly wieghts as below, dims: 4.55m lg, beam 1.99, depth .92 m

front runner 320kg

c/console 310

side console 300

open 290

taken from a poly brochure

cheers,

lew

riverrat
17-09-2006, 07:30 PM
DRAIN HOLES IN THE 455 POLY.

had some waer between the skins. The dealer left the small bung out. that's the one just forward of the transom support............fixed that.

Economy is still going really well. Love the sound of 4/59 suzie and 5k rpm I think the it's sweet spot is around 4800.

Have had a few boaties check her out at the ramps and they were really interested i the concept.

For a 455.I can't fault the ride and stability....The front screen could be a little higher though and the fwd hatch would be better if it opened fwd rather than the other way. Mines white and from a distance it looks like a glass boat.....this surprised some when they got closer at the Vicky point ranp.