PDA

View Full Version : A sad tale about human nature today.......

BaysideMarine
12-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Thought I'd share a story about an incident while I have been away for the last 2 weeks at Bateman's Bay.

I was out on a jetski one day (having had a few issues with it which I thought I had ironed them all out) and all was running well. Now of course many boaties think that those who ride jetski's are a lower form of water user and treat them accordingly. I agree that many jetskiers are ****heads but not all....

I began to experience an engine problem which I knew was leading to seizure. I made for the entrance to the small harbour where the public boatramp is at the back of the Coachouse Marine Resort where I was staying.

The tide was running out and it runs hard at probably 5 knots through that area leading out to the ocean bar. I conked out and seized probably 50 mtrs from the entrance to the boatramp harbour.

I waved down an incoming tinny of approx 14ft with a 25 yammy, with a bloke and 2 kids on board. I asked the driver for a tow and he made some gesture and comment about "I can't, coz I have the kids on the boat" or something strange like that... I yelled out "Thanks very much" as he motored away....

Not far behind was a lovely 28 Bertram flybridge and they saw what had happened and tossed me a line and towed me back to the marina (the public ramp harbour was too small for them to enter).

I pulled ashore at the back of Harbour Marine and went and spoke to Jim (the recent purchaser of the business) and he arranged for the chain fence to be lowered so I could retrieve the ski. I walked back to the public ramp and retrieved my vehicle then retrieved the ski.

I kick myself for not remembering the rego of the tinny coz I would have liked to have spoken to its owner the next time I saw it, and in particular I would have liked to inform his children that you NEVER leave someone stranded in the water and what their daddy did was very bad.

That tinny owner is a discrace and dispicable and God help him when hes in trouble on the water and no-one helps him.

Other than that, it was a great holiday.

Cheers,

Nicholas

Decimator
12-01-2007, 10:47 PM
thats poor form there. probably wouldnt be a bad idea getting a handheld vhf in a waterproof cover ? oh well. you had a good break thats the main thing !

Glenn_Woods
12-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Yeah, not a good situation to be in and the farther could have shown the kids a good lesson in boating.

Woodsy

BaysideMarine
12-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Fish Guts,

Had there been no other boats around (it was a busy time of day) I would have let the ski go and swum to the rockwall and then got the Coastal Patrol guys to take me out to retrieve the ski. So no real need for the handheld.

Woodsy, too right mate. My eldest son would have loved being involved in towing someone into shore. Even more so when the importance of doing so was explained and understood.

Come to think of it... I remember when my old man pulled a catamaran into shore that had a leaking pontoon. I was about 10 y/old or less and I was holding the end of the rope, sure it was wrapped around the ski hook a few times but it was a struggle to hold it.

I think some people simply suck..... and they are stealing the oxygen reserved for better people........

Cheers

Decimator
12-01-2007, 11:14 PM
fair enough. what if for example, you were in the goldcoast seaway and conked out, with 5 knots of outgoing tide ? woudlnt a vhf come in handy then ?

BaysideMarine
12-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't know the area mate. Sure, the idea has some merit.

Angla
13-01-2007, 12:13 AM
There is no reason ever to leave a fellow boatie in trouble. Jetski or not. Hope carma gets him one day and a jetski offers to pull him back to shore. His kids will know he had done wrong by you.

Chris

BAIT_MAN
13-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Bm

Poor form mate i could never leave anyone stranded even if i new the person and didnt like them. I agree many boaties think that those who ride jetski's are a lower form of water user and treat them accordingly so do what i done mate and you will find that the change their tunes.

Regards
Shane

stevedemon
13-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi BM

Mate i will be this first to acknowledge that i am not impressed with Jet skiers as most have either tried playing chicken with me or just come way to close when you are anchored , but on the good side i have seen some jet skiers that do respect your privacy an either slow down or keep there distance like any thing it is the DI##heads that make it harder for the decent water user's

an like any one on the water if they are in trouble i will never leave them strandard the same with an vessel regardless of who, whom or what they are it is a safety issue

and in your troubles it was a perfect time for the Father to show an teach the kids to do the right thing not the ignorance or arrogance that seem to be around now is just not cricket (Being polite.)?!?!?!?!!?! an it is those poeple in boats that give the boaties a bad name for stupidty, ignorance an arrogance we all use the water an we all need to be aware that helping is just showing the better side of human nature

maybe it should be made awares in the training side of the Lic's never leave a distress or broken down vessel or Speed Bump (jet ski) ;D ;D on the Water but i was always taught by Dad never to leave somone asking for help on water or land strandard

an guys' for the record i have help queit a few out on water but i have also been left strandard by boaties to busy or arrogant to help an i have been towed in by a jet skier when i had the 16.5ft Seafarer an run out of fuel tried to pay him for his troubles an fuel instead this guy went an retrieve fuel for me but would not take 1cent for his troubles this is another side of human nature that we do not see nowadays

so let us remember we are all water user's an safety must an for most come first life or live's depend on all of us playing in our play ground

Thumps down to the the dad to whom left you strandard :-[ :-[ :-[ :'( as a boatie :'( :'( :'( :'( :-? :-? :-? :-?

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Scalem
13-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Sad tale indeed.

I have rescued people though, and not gotten a tremedous amount of thanks for the help - almost as if it was expected. But it is your attitude as a result of misgivings on the water, so long as whatever happens does not poison your demeanor or attitute toward others. As they say, do for others what you would expect from them.

I'll continue to help out whenever I can. Probably will get knifed at the pub one day for breaking up a fight, but hey, someone has to try!!

Scalem

disorderly
13-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi BM,
Strange story indeed.You dont happen to be 6 foot 6 with a full beard and a mean looking scowl,do you?
Seriously though it would be interesting to get the tinny guys take on things.Cant help but think that after the event he would have regretted his actions.
Perhaps next time he will redeem himself.

Cheers Scott

Mad-One
13-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Really poor example to show your kids. even if it is your worst enemy you should still help out. I was unlucky and broke down on the M1 at Nerang so I asked a so called mate to help me get it home but he refused. needless to say my car was left overnight and by next morning the wheels had been stolen and the rest detroyed >:( about a month later I noticed so called mate on side of road and i stopped and helped just hope i made him feel real quilty

wessel
13-01-2007, 03:29 PM
As they say, the wheel turns. His day of reckoning will come.

Wessel

seatime
13-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Poor form indeed.

It's the part of the "Law of The Sea" to assist others in need, no matter what their colour or creed, or choice of water craft ;)

Another top Stainless job there Shane, have you blooded it yet?

regards
Steve.

Camo
13-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi Nicholas sorry to hear about your problem with the ski mate. #Maybe you should find a good marine dealer and get it fixed. #Theres a place down there called Bayside marine the owner will probably do the right thing by ya. :)

This just proves that people are getting more and more selfish. #Whatever happened to the unwritten law of the sea where you help anyone in trouble regardless. # #How much easier would it have been for the tinnie owner to tow you in, than for the guy in the Bertram. #

Like the other guys here have said, what goes around comes around. #Anyone who spends any amount of time on the water will break down at least one time and need a tow. # Karma can be a bitch.

Camo

BaysideMarine
14-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Interesting comparison here lads.

I posted the same topic up on the fishnet forum and the way the 2 threads have gone is quite different.

Scott, not 6'6", not bearded, no scowl..... :)

I still had a great holiday and wasn't upset by what happened as I have encountered that before in a boat so now I am at least not surprised when it happens.

Cheers

Heath
14-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I've got a bit of different view on this.

Yes, always help another boatie no matter what craft, however only if you are confident of your own safety.

Current running hard, small tinny with kids on board. This guy may have felt that the situation was unsafe and therefore rightly declined to assist. Remember, he had 2 kids on board.

However I can certainly understand how this seemed to be wiping his hands of a situation, to you.

A real life example was last year when a boat went over on Currumbin bar. 2 guys in the water, boat on its lid. Guy on rockwall got my attention & let me know the situation. I was in contact with VMR at the time. I was asked to see if I could find the guys. Myself and another boat also declined to assist immediately for a number of reasons.
1. It was just on dawn and visability was not all that good.
2 2 persons in the drink,with poor visbility, I could have run them over.
3. an up turned boat being washed around the bar and again visability was an issue, what would happen if I hit the submerged craft?
4. Most Importantly, I had my young son on board also and was not prepared to compromise his safety.

As soon as there was enough light, approx 10 mins I gladly assisted the men. Saving one that was on the brink of exhaustion by pulling him over the side & taking him back inside the bar, the other boat picked the other fello up. VMR retrieved the sunken boat when there was enough light.

My point is, this guy may have felt the situation was unsafe given the conditions and also remembering he had his two kids to think about.

Glad it turned out all ok in the end.

TRD-70
14-01-2007, 02:11 PM
There is one golden rule in any situation and that is to help another person out. I have seen this a lot in Four Wheel Driving where I have been brought up that if some one is bogged or in trouble, you lend a hand. I also put the same when boating and I am always prepared to tow or help out, even if they are a jet skier. It will become a sad world when no one is prepare to help or as a park ranger told me once, they will only tow a car out when the owner signs a waiver, in case they break their vehicles. Too many do gooders out there and not enough do righters.

seatime
14-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Heath

Your's is a good example of "obligation to render assistance" when a vessel is in distress, the master shall render assistance if he is capable to and with consideration to the safety of his vessel and passengers, if he is unable to assist he should alert the relevant SAR organisation.
In your example, the bloke on the rockwall rendered assistance by alerting you to the situation, you rendered assistance by being in contact with the VMR. Eventually assistance was given when conditions improved, everything was done correctly there.
Even though BM may not have been in a 'distress' situation did the tinnie at Batemans Bay alerted anyone to BM's need of assistance, when he could have if he couldn't assist himself.
An anchor can be offered to stop the drift if a tow is considered unsafe, a radio or phone call is a possibility, assistance doesn't have to mean you put your vessel or lives in danger. An unfortunate example of rendered assistance in a 'distress' going wrong was the recent fatality on the NZ west coast in an earlier thread.

regards
Steve.

Chine
14-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Heath

Your's is a good example of "obligation to render assistance" the master shall render assistance if he is capable to and with consideration to the safety of his vessel and passengers, if he is unable to assist he should alert the relevant SAR organisation.
In your example, the bloke on the rockwall rendered assistance by alerting you to the situation, you rendered assistance by being in contact with the VMR. Eventually assistance was given when conditions improved, everything was done correctly there.
Not sure if the tinnie at Batemans Bay alerted anyone to BM's need of assistance though, when he was obliged to if he couldn't assist himself.
An anchor can be offered to stop the drift if a tow is considered unsafe, a radio or phone call is a possibility, assistance doesn't have to mean you put your vessel or lives in danger. An unfortunate example of rendered assistance going wrong was the recent fatality on the NZ west coast in an earlier thread.

regards
Steve.

I was just about to respond with the same words as I believe Heath's actions were spot on. This a link from another post about a bar crossing which indicates how Heath's day could have gone pear shaped had he responded any differently.

http://www.msa.govt.nz/publications/accidents/reports/Lucky%20No.5-051163.pdf

Chine

Kerry
14-01-2007, 02:41 PM
There is one golden rule in any situation and that is to help another person out. I have seen this a lot in Four Wheel Driving where I have been brought up that if some one is bogged or in trouble, you lend a hand. I also put the same when boating and I am always prepared to tow or help out, even if they are a jet skier. It will become a sad world when no one is prepare to help or as a park ranger told me once, they will only tow a car out when the owner signs a waiver, in case they break their vehicles. Too many do gooders out there and not enough do righters.

No the golden rule in any emergency situation is too first asses the situation and the dangers involved, this is the golden rule regardless in any emergency situation.

The master of a vessel has the sole responsibility to make a decision if they can SAFELY assist or not.

Regards, Kerry.

2iar
14-01-2007, 03:41 PM
I tend to agree with what Heath's saying, but I reckon the bloke should have offered to take BM aboard after he (BM) had anchored the PWC and brought him safely ashore. I don't know that he had any kind of obligation to "save" the vessel by towing it, only to render assistance to the crew. This is assuming the bloke's tinny was big enough to accomodate BM (and if not, it may have been the reason he didn't and explain the "kids onboard" comment). If he couldn't do this, he could have dropped the kids off and returned or at the very least let BM know he'd notify the authoroties on his behalf...

Personally, I'd have given you a tow (and a bit of a sledging ;) for the jetski), but I can imagine some scenarios where it might not be possible for others.

Glad that no harm was done.

Good luck,
Mike

TRD-70
14-01-2007, 04:06 PM
No the golden rule in any emergency situation is too first asses the situation and the dangers involved, this is the golden rule regardless in any emergency situation.

The master of a vessel has the sole responsibility to make a decision if they can SAFELY assist or not.

Regards, Kerry.

[/quote]

That would be the second golden rule because if you are to access a situation you must go to the help of the person in the first place. As the law says

Obligation to render assistance

the master of the ship has reason to believe that persons on or from a ship or aircraft are in distress;

the master shall cause his or her ship to proceed with all practicable speed to the assistance of those persons and, if possible, inform them that he or she is so doing.

Penalty: Imprisonment for 4 years.

Roughasguts
14-01-2007, 04:41 PM
You mean to say Jet skies don't carry a anchor or a paddle.
Just a PFD doesn't seem enough.

Lets just say BM was the only vessel out there, and no one to render assistance.

Surely you wouldn't swim for it in a 5 knot current, unless dragging the ski behind you. Even I can swim dragging my boat, with out much wind or current.

But surely you would stay with your vessel, if you could anchor it, and it wouldn't take much of a anchor to hold a jet ski that would it.

I don't know what jet ski's would be like to paddle, but surely a damn side easier than a half cab. Just think these guy's should take a few more precautions. This last week I have seen two jet ski's being towed.

But yep I would give you a tow BM, without dought if on my own.
If I had my kids on board well probably still would, cause I wouldn't be out there in dangerous conditions near the bar, with my kids on board in the first instance.

Chine
14-01-2007, 05:26 PM
There is a degree of accountability on BM's part irrespective of the Father's response.
1. 5 knot ebb stream into an open roadstead
2. No other jet ski or boat to accompany with a jetski which has had engine work.
3. No redundancy apart from passing vessels with the assumption that there will be passing vessels.

Meanwhile............

The father may have lacked experience, may have been intimidated by the strength of the current, quite rightly alluded to the fact that he had his two kids on board realising that it was not a smart place to be and probably looked over his shoulder and saw the Bertram following behind. We are also assuming that there were no other vessels close by that he knew of. We are also assuming that he has not explained the situation to his kids......he may well have.

And who knows..........he may been anchored up quietly on some occasion attempting to catch fish with his kids when another boof head jet ski has roared past, very close and very fast.......as they frequently do...........and developed a dislike for jetskis. I know that I have........on more than one occasion. [smiley=wink.gif]

Chine

mark221263
14-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I would always stop and help someone in trouble. The 1st rule is to always make sure your ok first and the guy in the tinny with 2 small kids might not of felt confident or safe to tow the ski. That being said you should always endeavour to get other help if you aren’t able to assist yourself.

It really bugs me that so many people are not responsible for their own safety and expect others to run after them and put themselves at risk.

If I had a boat or ski with known issues I’d also pick the place where I was going to do my test runs to ensure calm slow flowing water close to the ramp.

How many boats do you see head from the ramp that should never of been pushed off the trailer or jet ski’s that do a round trip of nth stradie with no safety gear at all.

Jet ski’s have a fair bit of storage room these days and carrying a hand held radio, small anchor etc is just good seaman ship and common science.

One should always be prepared and be self sufficient within reason.

Sorry BM if reading between the lines is a little harsh.

In any case, seaman ship should place yourself and the safety of others as the number 1 priority!

Regards Mark

BaysideMarine
14-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Mark,

This ski has a small PVC tube as its storage area that is taken up by the small toolkit, a short length of rope (for launching purposes) and my car keys and thats about it...

This ski is also a wave riding ski meaning it isnt the type you can sit on if the engine is not running, it will overbalance.

For your and others information, I had just finished sorting out a carby issue and had first headed UP the Clyde River when I left the boatramp and gave it a good test run near the bridge and then headed back down to ride in the waves on the sandbar (not the bar).

Overall, I think this topic has inadvertantly shown the attitudes of many (here and on fishnet) towards jet skiers.

Ask yourselves people, would you be posting the exact same post if I was in a boat rather than a jetski??????

I will never stop assisting others in need even when it requires a degree of danger on my part. If others are not that way inclined so be it. I would like to know that in a serious incident where someone died I did all I could to help if I was not able to rescue them.

If your happy to motor by and say the next boat will get you (hard to hear when the driver doesn't slow down or alter course towards you, even when they are only doing perhaps 10 knots at max) well, enjoy your life and I hope I am never unfortunate enough to meet you...

I guess its handy to know where opinions are on this and it might give other boaters or jet skiers cause to reconsider their expectations of help from other water users........

Damn shame.

Roughasguts
14-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Slow down a bit BM, No one is saying they wouldn't help you out in a bad situation.
But maybe when you bought a basically un stable vessel with no provision for any anchor or paddle, then you take the risks associated with it. And it is you alone that didn't think of self preservation when you bought it. The onus is on the operator.

At no time have I ever taken out a vessel, that if things go pear shaped I would have to rely soley on the help of others.

Not having a go BM, but it's something to consider, is my vessel safe if things go wrong.

Chine
14-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Mark,

This ski has a small PVC tube as its storage area that is taken up by the small toolkit, a short length of rope (for launching purposes) and my car keys and thats about it...

This ski is also a wave riding ski meaning it isnt the type you can sit on if the engine is not running, it will overbalance.

For your and others information, I had just finished sorting out a carby issue and had first headed UP the Clyde River when I left the boatramp and gave it a good test run near the bridge and then headed back down to ride in the waves on the sandbar (not the bar).

Overall, I think this topic has inadvertantly shown the attitudes of many (here and on fishnet) towards jet skiers.

Ask yourselves people, would you be posting the exact same post if I was in a boat rather than a jetski??????

I will never stop assisting others in need even when it requires a degree of danger on my part. If others are not that way inclined so be it. I would like to know that in a serious incident where someone died I did all I could to help if I was not able to rescue them.

If your happy to motor by and say the next boat will get you (hard to hear when the driver doesn't slow down or alter course towards you, even when they are only doing perhaps 10 knots at max) well, enjoy your life and I hope I am never unfortunate enough to meet you...

I guess its handy to know where opinions are on this and it might give other boaters or jet skiers cause to reconsider their expectations of help from other water users........

Damn shame.

Nic,

With respect, the highlighted statement (understatement) would have to be one of the least contentious made on this forum in recent times.

You have qualified your first post wth the preamble;
Now of course many boaties think that those who ride jetski's are a lower form of water user and treat them accordingly. I agree that many jetskiers are ****heads but not all.... #

........if the general response affirms your preamble then why shake your head and take the moral high ground? I am a little surprised that you have even elected to discuss jetskis on these boards........?

Apart from all that........I hope you had a great holiday.

Cheers

Chine

FNQCairns
14-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I got stuck about 1/3 the way from Jacobs to the Pin around 20 years ago, pulled up on one of the islands virtually right on the channel, with my head down and busy I was trying to mac-giver a Biro into a tube for fuel to flow through, just about every boat that went past offered help for the 20min I was stuck there, started to get annoying but I was grateful for it.

Could this fella have beach towed a stranded 4wd at 10kph and got pinged for it not long ago ;)?

I think it is slack he didn't tow, if it was a true 14 foot and bugger all time or distance, 12 foot and 2 kids is a bit small for confidence in some but others tow boards/tubes with small tinnys.

Personally I will never tow another boat as a good Samaritan act any distance although I will radio, phone, wait, offer any assistance I can to keep the passengers from harm.

cheers fnq

BaysideMarine
14-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Take the f**n moral high ground??????

WTF???, Elected to discuss jet skis on these boards??? WTF??? How f*d in the head are you????? I didn't realise the anti jetski sentiment was so strong...

How many boats you own Chine???? If we are gonna go toe to toe on those grounds....... My peak has been 25 boats at 1 time, how about you??? Surely 25 boats for me makes me more worthy (using your f*d up twisted logic) than 1 boat for you...?????

UNBELIEVEABLE, some of you people, ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE......

As I have told the same redneck selective on Fishnet, go find your help elsewhere coz I aint providing dealer/mechanic info anymore...

Tired of backstabbers who ask for your assistance in a pm where no-one else sees but then wants to have public cracks at you on the forums. Gee, arent you just f*n heros....... Correction, losers.....

Those who know me can call or email or find me at my home of www.mrfisho.com. Those 2 faced pricks, don't bother contacting me in the future, you make me sick....

saurian
14-01-2007, 11:07 PM
BM ,
if I came across you, you could have put ya ski between my motors or I would have given you the tow of your life.( rooster tale from hell)
Don't let others who are scared or take the technical ground piss you off.
Old mate with 2 kids probably didn't have a clue.
Jet ski's are a bit like trailbikes , those that ride them love them.
When I'm on holidays I love jetski's , with the wifee we cut sick.
I think watercraft of all forms , windsurfers included should be treated as
as a boat , if it breaks down help them out where ever possible .
As we all know it could and well might be one of us in the near future
and yeh old mate in tinnie with kids might abscond on the duties but why stick up for him ?????
We are not him !!!!
I tell you what Bm , if chine needs a hand and is broken down i think you would help him .So best keep the anger until he needs the help , then give it to him , and what's he going to say ?????
Help Bm.
Ta.

PinHead
15-01-2007, 05:38 AM

WTF???, Elected to discuss jet skis on these boards??? WTF??? How f*d in the head are you????? I didn't realise the anti jetski sentiment was so strong...

How many boats you own Chine???? If we are gonna go toe to toe on those grounds....... My peak has been 25 boats at 1 time, how about you??? Surely 25 boats for me makes me more worthy (using your f*d up twisted logic) than 1 boat for you...?????

As I have told the same redneck selective on Fishnet, go find your help elsewhere coz I aint providing dealer/mechanic info anymore...

Tired of backstabbers who ask for your assistance in a pm where no-one else sees but then wants to have public cracks at you on the forums. Gee, arent you just f*n heros....... Correction, losers.....

Those who know me can call or email or find me at my home of www.mrfisho.com. Those 2 faced pricks, don't bother contacting me in the future, you make me sick....

WOW...25 boats at one time...what does that have to do with anything ??? But don't forget..and one jet ski that does not run. I would have stopped and seen if assistance could have been given..but no need to get off ya bike like that BM....with your attitude when someone disagrees with you...I doubt anyone would want to deal with your business.

Chris Ryan
15-01-2007, 06:36 AM
A few weeks ago I was cruising through the Tipplers passage when I noticed a 14-15' ski boat with 3 adults and 5 kids floating with the current across towards the sandbanks. I could here a starter motor whirring but the thing wouldn't fire. I had my wife and 5 yr old, and both of my parents visiting from Sydney on my 18 footer and I was having a few issues with depth in some areas, but I still went and got him, spun up some sand and shot him over to the shore near the B.O.A.T club so the kids could get out and run around, the wife and the other lady could stop fretting and old mate fix his donk.

If I was ever in trouble or saw another person in trouble, jetski, caterman, even a big Riveria, mate I would tow em to the best I could to the safest place I could find. The day someone doesn't help me in my time of need - well I am the 6foot + 130kg bearded monster mentioned earlier - and I don't like being cranky :)

Common sense and a sense of respect for others - if we as boaties can do that, then we are so much better off than the rest of this world. ;D

Cheers,
Puff

Chine
15-01-2007, 07:44 AM

Sorry you feel that way Nic.........interesting response.

Chine

mark221263
15-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Things here are getting out of hand here.

Interesting that everyone on this post has said that they would help or assist to getting help and everyone is being candid and upfront in their replies.

Unfortunately BM, I think the language and comments you make only clarify your attitude towards others and their opinions.

It’s a free country remember.

One has to question how you may of signalled or asked for assistance from the guy in the tinny?

It's a shame you feel the way you do. In 40 years of boating I've never been disappointed in the attitude and general good will between the greater majority of boaters I've met.

Regards Mark

Jeremy
15-01-2007, 09:09 AM
oops - posted twice

Jeremy
15-01-2007, 09:10 AM
There is one golden rule in any situation and that is to help another person out. I have seen this a lot in Four Wheel Driving where I have been brought up that if some one is bogged or in trouble, you lend a hand. I also put the same when boating and I am always prepared to tow or help out.

WRONG buddy. I second what Kerry wrote. I was fishing down the 'pin last year and the wind came up around 25 knots in the evening. I took a wrong turn at night heading home and came across a half cab type 18' fibreglass boat washed up on the beach and taking a pounding from the waves. I was in a 15' centre console with 3 POB and went over to investigate. Water started getting too shallow for me. I could see at least 1 person in the water and heard shouts for help. There was no way I was going to put my vessell and 3 people at risk, so I headed out a safe distance and called the VMR who safely completed the rescue.

Another time a few years back fishing around Donnybrook I came across a little tinny rowing towards the ramp with 2 POB. They asked for a tow (cannot remember the reason - motor wouldn't start or out of fuel?). I did tow them for a short distance to my next fishing spot, but I declined to two them back to the ramp about 2 km away. They were clearly pissed and I have no time for idiots such as these. It was mid morning on a clear calm day and I decided they could keep rowing. The time it took them would help it wear off before they got in the car and towed it home.

I am sick of the 4WDs that don't bother to let their tyres down and even 2WDs on the beach. They get stuck due to their own ignorance and expect a tow out of trouble. I won't put my life and vehicle at risk for these people unless they are are isolated and connot reach help themselves.

Jeremy

mark221263
15-01-2007, 09:17 AM
From the fishnet site here's a pick of the area where BM broke down. BM clarified he was closer to the harbour bank side but further seaward.

If the guy in the small tinny with 2 kids was inexperianced with 5 knots of outgoing tide I'm sure he may of felt at risk.

It's not that far from breaking waves or the bar!

I'd like to clarify that I would always stop and help anyone in need if I was not putting myself or crew at risk and would always stay put and radio or chase down other appropriate assistance if I could not assist.

Like they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words!

toymod
15-01-2007, 12:52 PM
By the sounds of thing Jeremy you already put the people on board at risk. So I would pull your head in and have a good hard think about what you type. Just because you dont seem to have any moral standards i feel that you shouldnt put the people that have down.

So buddy I hope if you ever get in a situation, there is people around like TRD-70, not people like YOU

Jeremy
15-01-2007, 01:07 PM
By the sounds of thing Jeremy you already put the people on board at risk. #So I would pull your head in and have a good hard think about what you type. #Just because you dont seem to have any moral standards i feel that you shouldnt put the people that have down.

mate, I really have no idea what you are talking about here. You have either misunderstood me or don't know too much about safe boating.

By the sounds of thing Jeremy you already put the people on board at risk

What the f..K would you know. You weren't there. I had a look from a distance, went as close as I could safely, and when it became obvious that I could not get close without putting my vessel in danger I backed off and called the VMR.

Maybe you want to clarify what you mean in English without being such a toss?

Jeremy

Roughasguts
15-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Oooops sorry BM, think it was me that wanted to know more about the mechanicals of a jet ski. (just in case i pick up a bargain one day)

Two things I dont have clear hear though.
I take it on a wave ski you can't sit on the vessel, therfore can only float along side it waving your arms?

And the other is How come your so defensive, to the point of agression.

But lets get back to why your jet ski buggered up. What happened to it can we help you fix it so it don't happen again.

PinHead
15-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Why didn't you put up the post on your "home"...then you might have had to abuse your neighbours but after having a brief look at the site...I notice a mrfisho has put up a post in a very roundabout way to your situation. I guess you could not use the language you did here seeing as you are a mod on that site...pretty pathetic effort from you as far as I am concerned.

Chine
15-01-2007, 06:43 PM
This whole episode is a bit of a shame and I put it down to both Nic having a bad night (as his response on Fishnet at 2330 to the same thread was worse than his response to me) and being generally disappointed in the response to this thread on both Ausfish and Fishnet.

He started the thread by ripping into the father which automatically split the debate and produced a predictable outcome......F@!!!*** #etc.

He has been invaluable in his assistance to members both here and at Fishnet and I most certainly would like to see that continue.

It was not my intention to wind him up although I have difficulty accepting a blanket condemnation without he personnally accepting some of the responsibility for the situation.

The long and short of this is that I hope Nic revises his stance and continues to give invaluable advice on both sites.

Chine

TRD-70
15-01-2007, 07:10 PM
There is one golden rule in any situation and that is to help another person out. I have seen this a lot in Four Wheel Driving where I have been brought up that if some one is bogged or in trouble, you lend a hand. I also put the same when boating and I am always prepared to tow or help out.

WRONG buddy. I second what Kerry wrote. I was fishing down the 'pin last year and the wind came up around 25 knots in the evening. I took a wrong turn at night heading home and came across a half cab type 18' fibreglass boat washed up on the beach and taking a pounding from the waves. I was in a 15' centre console with 3 POB and went over to investigate. Water started getting too shallow for me. I could see at least 1 person in the water and heard shouts for help. There was no way I was going to put my vessell and 3 people at risk, so I headed out a safe distance and called the VMR who safely completed the rescue.

Another time a few years back fishing around Donnybrook I came across a little tinny rowing towards the ramp with 2 POB. They asked for a tow (cannot remember the reason - motor wouldn't start or out of fuel?). I did tow them for a short distance to my next fishing spot, but I declined to two them back to the ramp about 2 km away. They were clearly pissed and I have no time for idiots such as these. It was mid morning on a clear calm day and I decided they could keep rowing. The time it took them would help it wear off before they got in the car and towed it home.

I am sick of the 4WDs that don't bother to let their tyres down and even 2WDs on the beach. They get stuck due to their own ignorance and expect a tow out of trouble. I won't put my life and vehicle at risk for these people unless they are are isolated and connot reach help themselves.

Jeremy

Why am I wrong or do you need some glasses to read over what I wrote, as I stated you help someone out and thats what the law states. I am prepare to help someone out be it tow, provide cpr, call the medivac, call life line but you all seem to get on your high horses saying saftey first. Saftey is what you must do when on the situation to protect yourself from disaster too, assistance is the fact of helping or assisting. Radios, towing, flares, mobile phone calls are assisting but to drive by and say next or to say sorry can't help or even pretend not to see them if failure to help or assist and these people should have their licence torn up.

The water is for everybody and for some they may abuse the fact being boater or jetskiers who may do the wrong thing in some eyes or by the law, but there is one thing and that is to help a fellow human being. Yes also with 4WD their are idiot's out there and there is also people who have not been taught the techniques but as the saying goes "S#$t happens" so get use to it and life goes on there will be more and one day it might be you. For the rest there is alway life line for your whinging and I must say they would be the only ones out there that would care..

Chine
15-01-2007, 07:50 PM
BM ,
if I came across you, you could have put ya ski between my motors or I would have given you the tow of your life.( rooster tale from hell)
Don't let others who are scared or take the technical ground piss you off.
Old mate with 2 kids probably didn't have a clue.
Jet ski's are a bit like trailbikes , those that ride them love them.
When I'm on holidays I love jetski's , with the wifee we cut sick.
I think watercraft of all forms , windsurfers included should be treated as
as a boat , if it breaks down help them out where ever possible .
As we all know it could and well might be one of us in the near future
and yeh old mate in tinnie with kids might abscond on the duties but why stick up for him ?????
We are not him !!!!
I tell you what Bm , if chine needs a hand and is broken down i think you would help him .So best keep the anger until he needs the help , then give it to him , and what's he going to say ?????
Help Bm.
Ta.

Saurian,

Well I guess he would say this........

When I take my boat outside, or inside for that matter, I have eight redundancies.....Spare fuel, second battery, EPIRB, VHF, 27MHZ, mobile phone and coast guard registration with log on and last but not least, two anchors with plenty of scope. If I do not have redundancy then I do not venture out and expose others to the consequences of my neglect....I believe they call it common sense.

I have assisted others and will continue to do so........I do not anticipate requiring Nic's assistance at any time.......be it mechanical or whatever. [smiley=wink.gif]

Chine

Heath
15-01-2007, 09:26 PM
BM stands for Bayside Marine, doesn't it :-? :-? :-?

A Victorian Marine dealership?

Roughasguts
15-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Yep I think so. You thinking about buying a jet ski from him.

PinHead
15-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Yep I think so. You thinking about buying a jet ski from him.

LOL @ buying the jet ski

mark221263
16-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Chine's last paragraph is spot on!

I too are so equiped with my boat.

One other thing, when I test something that might be suss or go offshore, 99% of the time I do it with anoher boat coming along for the 2 boat safety logic.

flatstrap
16-01-2007, 07:58 AM
To all contributors on this topic:
I have been away for 2 months and I get back to my beloved Ausfish forum and it's a scene of literary mauling, brawling and assault. Calm down guys. It's a forum not an arena. Express your views not your prejudices.
Deep breaths.....Ahhhhh IN out in out.
Keep this brawling up and you'll have no members left to beat up on.
flatstrap

mark221263
16-01-2007, 02:19 PM
well said flatstrap