PDA

View Full Version : Dumaresq Dam Trout

Finnie
27-07-2002, 07:16 AM
A big rainbow taken from Dumaresq Dam this morning on a lure ;D

vince
28-07-2002, 05:11 AM
Hi finnie that is one fish I would like to catch on a fly, it,s one monster of a trout, I didn,t know there was trout in that dam.
well good luck to you .
vince.

lordy
01-08-2002, 10:19 AM
Hi finnie that is one fish I would like to catch on a fly, it,s one monster of a trout, I didn,t know there was trout in that dam.
well good luck to you .
vince.

If its the one near Armidale NSW, it does hold trout. They release ex-brood stock into the dam every year or so from the trout hatchery. You don't ever see small ones and that's why.

Finnie
01-08-2002, 10:59 AM
That's right. I think they released the broodstock into the dam only a couple of weeks ago, and so there are a few floating around for those who don't mind the cold too much.

I also recently heard that they were intending releasing a whole heap of Australian Bass into the dam in the near future. How the Bass fingerlings will go in the cold temps., and competing with the Trout and Redfin already present I don't know though.

Cheers,
Finnie

lordy
06-08-2002, 06:58 AM
Can't see it working with bass. It would be too cold. It was 7-8 degrees a few weeks back and won't have gotten any warmer since then.

fishy_phil
08-08-2002, 02:51 PM
g'day
i was just wondering from Armidale were is it??? towards grafton guyra or what???
thinking about goin there soon
thanks
phil

Finnie
09-08-2002, 07:01 AM
It's about 7km out to the west of Armidale. I can't remember the name of the road....Old Guyra Road or something like that. You head past the university colleges and about 5km out you will see a signpost to Dumaresq Dam, the road heads off to the right.

Only a small dam (once served as the water supply for Armidale before the demand became too great) but at different times some good trout come out of there.

Cheers,
Finnie

fishy_phil
24-08-2002, 05:47 PM
thanks. just wondering if boating is allowed or not??? even a canoe.??? how big are the fish in the dam both the redfin and the trout???
phil

Finnie
27-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Canoes and kayaks are allowed on the dam, no motors though. I'm not sure about the electrics, but the dam is only small and so it's probably not necassary.

The trout are typically big fellas as they are brood-stock from the Dutton (?) hatchery. The redfin generally start coming on in the spring as midgets, and get sparser and bigger as the summer wears on. I've seen a couple of photo's of 35-40cm redfin come from there, but in my experience they're usually much smaller. I did have a good day one summer getting about 20 redfin from 15cm to about 25cm :-[ while learning to flyfish. Only a very small dam but fishes well at different times.

Hopefully some of the rivers around the joint got a bit of a flush from the rain to clear them out a bit for when the season re-opens?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Finnie

fishy_phil
27-08-2002, 04:57 PM
gday finnie
thanks for the info ill hopefully have a go pretty soon
phil