PDA

View Full Version : "fish of a lifetime"( here we go again)

swano
04-06-2003, 05:42 PM
last october big-george and myself headed up to proserpine(we live in central nsw 1748 ks away) in search of some good barra fishing.george had just had a boat custom built and i was recovering from a broken back( compression fracture to 2 vertabrae) when he asked me to help him paint and deck it out.then with 2 days to go before we left we discovered the transom was 100mm to low. so we packed everything into my boat and took off .
#after 22 hours of driving non-stop we arrived one day before the peter faust comp started, george was entered but i wasn't.
we got smashed up by 7 monsters 1 metre plus (the first day on the water) never landed one. the comp started the next day and so did the southerlys, out of 72 anglers only 36 landed a fish in 2 days of the comp (the biggest was 106cms) needles to say there was a lot of soul searching going on.
so we gave the dam a miss for a day but vowed to return and get into them the following morning.
we fished behind the power line first up with a couple of follows but no takers, then i tied a supa live bait on and started to fish it fairly jerky when it was engulfed by a 96cm 32lbs barra (the first fish to the boat). after some enquires george to tied on a koolabung and hooked up on his 4th cast to a freight train that wrapped him around several trees and saw him bear hug one to pass the rod around the other side and after some tense moments the monster emerged from the deep . we stuffed it into the net and bought it on board for some piccies and to weigh it (in the net). it went 118cms and 25 kilo(55lbs)not bad on a loomis 665 coupled with a chronarch topped with 20lb fireline . we enjoyed a few that night celebrating the days event, then the next day saw more good barra to the boat and the last bay we tried produced another monsterous fish in 4 feet of water . it went 116cms and 26 kilo(57.5lbs).

so after a bit over a weeks fishing we extracted and released around 60 fish including 18 on the last morning.it goes down in my books as the best trip ever , and the hooks are sharpened ready for this year. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

#;D

big_george
06-06-2003, 04:46 PM
118cm faust barra caught in oct 2002. Caught on a gold scale 100 mm Koolabung livebait. ;D

swano
12-06-2003, 02:02 PM
sure beats bream fishin ehh george [smiley=argue.gif]http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/Dscn0139jpg

swano
13-06-2003, 01:04 PM
stop it john, me ribs are killing me. ;) your about as funny as a treble in ya thumb :o

big_george
14-06-2003, 07:56 AM
hi john.
The Forster bream bought us back down to earth.Forster received 18 inchs of rain over the last two weeks prior .The fresh pushed all down the system.The only fishing was as the incoming tide pushed the dirty water back.Landed 4 bream to 385cm on a 3 inch pink/white single tails and four flattie to 480 on the first arvo.The next days were shockers.We fished the coast line in the washers and islands for bream and ended up with pike and slimmies. :-[
Now waiting for september at faust.Bring it on.

Lachie1
20-06-2003, 04:44 PM
385cm is a bloody decent fish in any ones language mate :o :o :o ::) ;D nah that's a good size u got there buddy, Lachie

big_george
24-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Call that a fish, I taught you how to do it and it took you 10 years to bet me. Slow learner, and it was a big lazy freshwater barra. I wonder how the big guy would go on a good size, fit, saltwater barra, actually I already know............ not so well!!!

Ooooooops, forgot about the 42lb you caught at Port Keats, after the competion I'll try & put it on so you can all have a look.

Cheers big george and keep fishing, next year back in the NT I'll flog you again, or Maybe William will.

Big Al [smiley=gorgeous.gif] [smiley=gorgeous.gif] [smiley=gorgeous.gif]

(George's fishing teacher, cook, income earner, driver, minister for War, Peace & Finance and general dog's body)

big_george
27-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Calling Swano

Won't be able to help you with your paving on the weekend - going to attempt to outfish the family on the Macquarie, pretty disappointed, I love paving soooooooo much. If you need a hand with your pavers, look at Backyard Blitz ;)

See you from the Kayak
George

swano
28-06-2003, 12:52 PM
aww shucks john , you made me get a lump in my throat reading that, :'(
p/s you any good at paving ;D

aussiebasser
28-06-2003, 01:01 PM
And what a bloody top name for a boat too!!!
I luv it [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

swano
01-07-2003, 05:47 PM
same fish across the back of the "codfather"

big_george
02-07-2003, 06:40 PM
]Good one swano.
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

paul-t
04-07-2003, 11:54 AM
great story guys , even better fish. what sort of tub do you own because thats a great shot across your casting deck . swano you said you broke your back? must have healed alright if your paving .
good stuff p-t

Mattman
04-07-2003, 03:44 PM
hi guys

hey swano, was that barra feeding on basketballs :o ;D

look at the gut :o :o

cheers Matt

swano
04-07-2003, 04:38 PM
yeah bigun they work a treat in the bath tub ;D landed a 89cm junior swano, she went 11kilo dressed [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

swano
21-09-2003, 08:12 AM
ahh well better go up again and see if they pull any harder this year ;D

big_george
21-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to faust we go.
regards george. ;)
PS.only 6 more sleeps. ;D