PDA

View Full Version : Yellow perch

el_carpo
12-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi again. I finally had a chance to go fishing again. We tried Lake Michigan at Montrose Harbor. Caught eleven perch, only a few keepers and a spawning rock bass (by accident, released it right away.) I have posted pictures of perch before but I thought you may like to see them close up. We used white hair jigs, twister tail grubs (soft plastic) and a small shad patterned Rat-L-Trap lure. The 'Trap has little metal BBs inside that rattle loudly when fished. Pretty good lure. Here is the picture of the keeper perch (I hope I do this right). :)

basserman
14-06-2004, 10:54 AM
we have the same looking fish here in oz el carpo only we call them redfin or english perch and i do think they are a little diffrent as their dorsal fins seem smaller ;D

Cloud_9
14-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Ditto was thinkin the same thing,(redfin) a little bigger than the 1's ive seen but still redfin.

Cheers Cloud 9

el_carpo
15-06-2004, 02:02 AM
I was looking at a New Zealand fishing page a little while ago (I know, I know, forgive me. #I just wanted to see what the Hobbits caught over there. #;D) and I saw that they had stocked some yellow perch in their lakes as well. #I wonder if these redfin might be related. #I'm ging to have to do a Google search or two or three and see what I see. #Sorry about not taking a pic of the rock bass. #I wasn't thinking about posting at the time because I wanted to get it back to her spawning bed as quickly as possible. #Chances are good that I'll have some shots of those in the future though.

-----O.K., I just got back and you guys are right. They are very similar. They aren't the same thing but real close. Both perch. Anyone want to see a redfin? Go here:
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/pfluviat.htm

setthehook
17-06-2004, 07:46 AM
I had a tank with 2 pet redfin perch!!! they look awsome in a fish tanks!! :)

basserman
17-06-2004, 12:06 PM
i bet a reddie would put any bass to shame in a fish tank 8)
never thought of haveing the humble red fin in a tank but might now :D