PDA

View Full Version : Mulwala Cod

Fitzy
31-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Aint modern technology just great. Ausfish member Aussiebasser emailed me this pic today from his mobile phone.
I just gotta work out how to reply to him. :P
Not a horse but any cod is a nice one. I'm assuming its from Mulwala, he told me he was going there this week sometime while on holidays in the area.

drawn
30-01-2005, 04:22 PM
How good is the cod fishing in Lake Mulwala? I have heard a bit about it but never really looked into it. On a good day how many do some catch and what sort of size on average?

drawn

speckly
01-02-2005, 01:29 PM
where abouts is Mulwala and how big is the cod ?

pastures
02-02-2005, 11:05 AM
MULWALA IS DOWN THE ROAD FROM ALBURY SEEN AND HEARD OF MONSTOR COD IN THERE WHEN I LIVED IN ALBURY.... PICTURED COD DID HE MAKE THE LEGAL 50CM SIZE?

Fitzy
02-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Fish was released immediately after the pic, the size is irreleveant. However that fish is easily 50. He's a fairly big sort bloke. To give you some idea of perspective, here's a pic of the same fella with a 55cm bass.
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/gallery/images/47.jpg

gf

aussiebasser
11-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Sory guys, missed this one.
The cod was just on 60cm and weighed 6lb. #Mulwala is on the Murray river at Yarrawonga downstream from Albury. #I spent Christmas down there with family and got a couple of days in fishing as well. #This is a better picture from the camera, I just 'phone texted it to Fritz to brag. ;D
Fitz is also being generous when he says I'm fairly big ::)
It can be hard work, depending on the time of year. It really fires around Easter if it is still warm.

speckly
22-02-2005, 04:11 PM
thats a beatiful murray cod there mate

cheers,
speckly :o

Kunnara
05-03-2005, 02:54 PM
Nice cod there...Im heading to Mulwala to fish the Mulwala Classic at the start of April...Fished it the last 10 years and the fish have ranged from 150mm up to 1200mm....Regardless of the fish caught its just a nice place to fish...

Hugh1
11-09-2005, 07:31 PM
How good is the cod fishing in Lake Mulwala? #I have heard a bit about it but never really looked into it. #On a good day how many do some catch and what sort of size on average?<br><br>drawnVery good,with apr-june peak time,but some may disagree,average would be 3 a day depending on conditions,can be very on & off but thats fishing.

Slates
21-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Geez, didn't even know he was in the state?

Mulwala is teeming with small cod from pilchards to 60cm. After that, they're there, but I guess they see a heck of a lot of lures! :o
Biggest I've heard of from there was 140cm, but I reckon they 'average' around 60- 65cm which is a great freshwater fish in anyone's language.
Best I've done in Feb is 10 fish before 10am casting lures and they were from 35 - 60cm. Surface luring when they are 'on' can sound like an orgy with firecrackers. Lots of pops and cracks from fish hitting lures and 'ooohs' and aaarrggh's from startled anglers - fantastic fun. ;)

December can be tough because the water is still cool. A lot less fish, but larger in size seem to be caught around April to June (ie: good time to hunt for a 1m fish).
I reckon the best time to visit is in the peak of February (hottest). This is when the cod are all over the surface and you can fish all night if you're keen.

Great joint and heading there for the 'Cod Opening Classic' 3/4 december. Massive comp 100k prizes and they had over 1200 people there last year. Fairly flat out and the fish get gun shy quick, but great weekend.

Cheers, NS

drawn
25-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Sounds good, I may get over there for a fish one day. I'd love to catch a big cod on a surface lure. A month ago I was fishing and a large cod took something from just below the surface, geez what boil! One day, when I get more time to fish that is.

drawn