PDA

View Full Version : Weekend in the country to escape the Pelagics

craigie
06-12-2005, 08:36 PM
With all this talk of Dollies, Whooos, cobes and Macks, I was keen to get away from this vermin for a peaceful weekend on the sweetwater targeting our highly prized Australian Bass ::) ::) ;D ;D.

Booked a cottage on the banks of Bjelke-Petersen Dam, and lazzed away the weekend trolling lures.

The weather was great, with the fishing running a close second.

On the way out to the Dam, he passed through the town of Nanango where I met up with Perko (Ausfish regular) to collect a few new lures and pick up some tips on how to lure a bass or two.

I estimate we landed 20 odd Bass for the 2, 4 hour sessions we spent on the water. Best bass went 44cm. I also landed a tagged bass !! It was revealed later that the bass was tagged 12 months to the day from when we captured it. It had grown from 295mm to 335mm in that time. Imagine the age of a 50cm Lunker :o :o

Golden Perch were very quiet this time around, only landing one 40cm version.

Always a pleasant time at BP Dam, more of us should bet out there to enjoy it ;)

Regards
Craigie.

craigie
06-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Lillian with 44cm Bass

craigie
06-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Average size Golden

craigie
06-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Solid "Tandanus".

Note the lure pinned it half way down it's back.

flattymattyb
06-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Craig,

Good stuff mate sounds like a nice way to spend the weekend & a few fish to boot. So you dragging yourself off to another exotic locale next weekend or do you have to slum it on the vermin ;D

Cheers
Matty

perko
06-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Way to go. I was thinking of you as I was slaving away at work on Sat and Sun. Looks like the spinnerbaits got a work out hey. Did you fish out from the boat ramps. Was good to meet you. Tony.

craigie
06-12-2005, 09:25 PM
G'day Matty,

I've been talking to Andy and we are very keen to chase Vermin !! ;D
Something that swims fast and hard and gets a forehand drive and a chip Backhand from the donger, when we get it on board :-X

Cheers mate,

Craigie

Touchy - R.I.P.
07-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Craigie, Your skills, be it salt or fresh continue to amaze me, is there nothing you cant do?, Oh I know, how about fixing the "bite" out of your boats windscreen ::) :-X. Cheers Touchy.><>

JB
07-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Good work there craigie, mate is that your boat with the downrigger on? How long have you been using it , and what line strength is it capable of?

Jas

bugman
07-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Was that escape - or run away to an easier to catch species :)

Billo
07-12-2005, 10:34 AM
although the weather was perfect ....i bet you still did a lot better in the fresh then most did in the salt !
Nice work !

Fisher_Boats
07-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Nice work Craigie........Something me and the lads have been going to do for ages.
Ill have to catch up and get some info from you ;)

Cheers Col

MADKEEN
07-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Hi Craigie,
Where abouts did you stay out there and what was the accom like and roughly what do they charge per night. I wouldn't mind taking the girls out there for the weekend.

Nice fish.

David :)

craigie
08-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Perko,

Caught 5 or 6 Bass on the Spinnerbaits, but hard bodies were more successfull this trip :-?

Didn't catch many between the 2 ramps, a few small fish along the left bank which leeds into the Bay were the Dam Wall is.
Caught most fish where the river bed does the dogleg from Lightning Ridge around to Bass point.
Also a couple of Bass, inc the Tagged Fish, a few hundred meters up the riverbed past Bass Point towards "Treasure Cow Paddock".
Does that all make sense 8-).

Touchy, thanks for the reminder about the broken screen, might cost Webby a couple of Black Rats ;D ;D ;D Those Bass are not to hard to catch, I seem to recall you donging :-X a couple at the M&G a couple of years back ;).

Jas,

Yes mate, whacked the Downrigger on recently, spose I should use it now ;D From memory it has 150 lb stainless cable wound on it ? I mainly want to chase Spaniards with it, when the season kicks into full swing.

Bugman,

You could be correct :-X

Billo, This is the prime time of the year for BP Dam. Have a look at the results of the recent "Golden Lure" comp they had up here. This place goes ape shit at times !!!

Col,

If you need to know anything about the place, just ask ! I'm sure the boys would have a great time.
Over the last few years, October has always fished extreamly well with lures. Have been up at Christmas time and caught good numbers of fish. Winter time can be very quiet :'(

MADKEEN,

The only place to stay is Yallakool Tourist Park. They have camp sites as well as powered sites. We stayed in a cottage which would be about 2 to 3 star standard, which is plenty good enough for me 8-), although I regularly camp and use the fantastic Camp Kitchen to do any cooking & cleaning. The Cottage cost $46 a night for 2 people. Huts are also available, but cost a bit more.
If you want to take the girls out there, go for the Villa. It's top of the range with a great view of the Dam. All levels of accom have Air Con, Col Tele, heaters, etc.
Other facilities on site include, Tennis Court, Tropical Pool and a kiosk.
Contact number is - 4168 4746, Allan and Elaine will look after you ;)

Regards to you all,

Craigie.