PDA

View Full Version : Faust Barra

devocean
15-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Well the weather was all over the place and the water was hot and soupy and the tide was running its guts out (gotta love summertime) so myself and after 7 decided to hit Prossie Dam as we have all this fishing gear and lures and have hardly used them. Last 2 times I never raised a scale from the dam so this was either 3rd time lucky or I was never going again.

So off we went on the hour long drive with little devocean in tow (my boat) and soon we were onto the flat waters of Peter Faust Dam. Wed heard they were hiding amongst the weed beds but we got there a bit late and the barra had already gone to the deeper water.

So we hooked on the crazy deep halcos and decided a nice relaxing troll was in order whilst we discussed the latest boats being advertised in fish and boat paper.

Suddenly the ratchet screamed and before we knew it my mid strength was on the floor and After 7 was onto a nice fish. 3 jumps later and 90cm of Faust barra was in the boat.

Trolled around for a while more with one more strike but no hook up and we went back to casting with a few fish sighted though they were more resting than feeding.

Bit of advice I picked up this time round was that the dam fishes way better on the new moon than the full moon because the barra cant feed at night due to the poor light, though a couple of days before the full moon is also good as they become very active especially at night. Anyway wioll definetly be going back. By the way kept the fish After 7s missus knows how t cook em up great.

noodlemantra
15-12-2005, 04:38 PM
nice one there mate. been there myself but havent raised one either. what is her secret, put it in a curry? the flesh of em seems so green and unappetising.

we went there x-mas last year and all they were hitting was dk scalerats and storm deep divers.

devocean
15-12-2005, 04:47 PM
The flesh on this thing was really white as we bled it straight away. Didnt evenmn smell and the fish was really silver. What shocke me was the water levels the dam must have almost halved since last time I was there.

Toppy
31-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Good post Devocean!
I love reading about Impoundment Barra & have a soft spot for Faust.
Sounds like you live close, you lucky bugga!
We ate some Barra from there last year, it was cooked fresh & had all the mud & fat cut out then deep fried. It was ok but not a scratch on a how a salty tastes. If its as good as you say, ask your mates wife to put a post up on how she does it. Who knows it might make her famous!
Cheers
Toppy