PDA

View Full Version : Monduran Xmas & New Year

McCod
05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
The Family headed to Monduran over the Christmas New Year break….. Talk about hot! #Did I say hot….. Really hot with shad temps under the tarps @ 42 ‘C during the day. Fishing was also hot with a lot of Barra landed by we us and co…. Most Barra where around the 77 to 85 cm with one at 95 cm…. with a few over the meter 106 cm up to 111 cm. Highlight of the trip was seeing my daughter Gemma land a few Barra and hearing her squeal as the Barra jumped around the boat.
Met a lot of people you had caught there first Barra ever with some of them cracking the meter mark first up. RMG 3 mtr Scorpions where the choice lure for casting during the day With the B52 during the lower light conditions. We did OK on the troll also with most of my fish coming from a large River2Sea minnow 180mm long. “TRIHO 180F” . Low of the trip was seeing over a dozen dead Barra floating or up on the bank. Camera died after a few shots of the daughter and her fish but did get some good video footage. Attached is photo of my girls first Monduran Barra caught on a gold F18 lure.

#Cheers Les

McCod
05-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Gemmas Popy's first Monduran Barra caught on a Silver Big B52 .

McCod
05-01-2006, 11:11 PM
an other one

StevenM
06-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Nice work Les,

mates was there acouple of days ago and got a few around the 80-90 cm mark.

Cheers

Steven

flickflack
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Top trip Les, looks like everyone got in on the action.

caught-ya
06-01-2006, 03:13 PM
some quality fish there mate, [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

we went there a year ago and only caught a spangled perch on a popper :'( :'(

bassamundi

Awoonga-Kid
08-01-2006, 05:11 AM
Nice fish there Les! shame about the dead barra. Whats the Bass fishing at Monduran like at the moment ?

staggy
08-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I hope ya left a few for me Les. Im going down for a few days in Feb with the family. Caught my first mtr barra at Monduran ;D so I kinda like the place. I wouldnt mine catchin a bass or two there either.

Staggy

McCod
08-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Staggy.... yeah mate left plenty for ya... all but one was released out of 40 odd Barra. Kept a small one for lunch one day..... #went down well with a few KGs of prawns and a beer or 3 #;D Plenty of Bass there for the taking if ya can just get Barra off the brain #[smiley=hammer.gif] wich is easier said than done. Seen a few Bass caught by some fishos who were targeting them... good fish also.... #up around the 50 cm mark. Seen one Big Bass caught on a Halco Scorpion 150 mm. Bloke thought he had a good Barra as at 50 cm they pull hard. Ahh yes... #i forgot to mention the old forktail Catfish.... plenty of them on cast & retrive.

# #Cheers Les

Dehydrated
09-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Looks like you had a great xmas with some good barra caught. Good to see your girl landing fish also. Thanks for the report.

Cheers
Don.

Mary_River_Cod
12-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Some nice shots there #Les,I'm hoping to get up there in the next few weeks myself(touch wood),still got a bit of work to do to my boat yet.Unfortunately I don't own a Tinnie,just a 15ft half cab,and I've never fish there or for that mater had a go for a barra.I'm relly only salt water fisho,but I'm keen to have a look at what everyone else is so fired up about.
So really the question is can you or anyone for that matter give me afew pointers and a bit of advice,it would be greatly appreciated ;D
# #Cheers Mick

McCod
12-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Some nice shots there #Les,I'm hoping to get up there in the next few weeks myself(touch wood),still got a bit of work to do to my boat yet.Unfortunately I don't own a Tinnie,just a 15ft half cab,and I've never fish there or for that mater had a go for a barra.I'm relly only salt water fisho,but I'm keen to have a look at what everyone else is so fired up about.
So really the question is can you or anyone for that matter give me afew pointers and a bit of advice,it would be greatly appreciated ;D
# #Cheers Mick

Gday Mick.... I'm not sure what it will be like when you get there. But if the water is still very hot like up around the 30 to 35 deg C then trolling lures that run around the 10 to 15 feet during the day in the deep water should see some success. Or casting deep divers around structure in a bit deeper water will work.... but don't expect them to come easy being that it’s your first time. In the early hrs of the day up to around 09:00 you can still get a few by casting up in the shallows. Lures like the B52s worked OK for us in the low light conditions. And use lures that you can crank down a few feet in the hotter part of the day. You Need a stop start retrieve when using both types of lures. Best of luck if you get up there. :)

Cheers Les

Mary_River_Cod
13-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the advice Les,idon't expect any miracles thats for sure,even a couple of nice strikes would make me happy first time out.But a little advice from someone who knows their way around has got to be a big help.What about the boat ,I know it's not ideal but do you think it will be OK [ [smiley=cowboy.gif]

McCod
13-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Mary_River_Cod .... Yeah the boat will be OK! as long as you can putt around on the troll. Electric trolling motor is ideal for mooching around casting lures..... But if you don't have one.... just putt into the area shut down the engine..... but you will have to wait for a while for the Barra's ears to stop ringing. There not keen on noise.... Stealth is the key for Barra. If you need to you can tie up to a solid looking tree then work the area well.... 15 to 30 minutes...... A good option in Monduran sometimes is to fish from the bank. A lot of fish are taken this way. Seen a boat up there last trip drop a few kids on the bank as they had to many in the boat. Guess what ?? The kids got 2 Barra :D and the boat got the big 0.... not even a nible ;). Mate.... ya gotta make do with what ya got.
It's worth the trip thats for sure [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cheers Les

Mary_River_Cod
13-01-2006, 08:49 PM
I know very little about whats what with electrics but kind of figured that I would have to look into one even if it was just at entry level so as to have the best chance to get a hook up.
What would you recomend in the entry type level price range ,not really the cheapest like but something that would do the job,until I worked out whether it was for me or not.Sorry about all the questions ;D

McCod
14-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I know very little about whats what with electrics but kind of figured that I would have to look into one #even if it was just at entry level so as #to have the best chance to get a hook up.
What would you recomend in the entry type level price range ,not really the cheapest like but something that would do the job,until I worked out whether it was for me or not.Sorry about all the questions ;D

Yeah mate.... you will need something like a 46 lb and up to 55 lb thrust electric motor.... depending on how heavy the boat is. and they are 12 volt powered units.
and you will need a 75 to 85 amp hr deep cycle battery.
Looking at between $500 , $1000 depending on what you get. as there are lots to choose from..... "saltwater and freshwater models"

Cheers Les

Mary_River_Cod
14-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks Les I appreciate the help,now all I need to do is get the boat back in the water,find the cash,find the time and find the fish.......EASY ;D