PDA

View Full Version : Cania 27-28 Jan

Screaming_Eagle
30-01-2006, 08:53 AM
thanks again to those who gave me some tips prior to my first trip to cania. what a wonderful spot - great views, walks and people.....

re the fishing - friday 27th - started at 5am and got a 45cm bass on my second cast. caught on a 1/2 ounce purple shad bassman spinnerbait with tandem gold blades. got him along the first rocky cliff as you get around the corner from the boat ramp. got 5 togas between 5-7am along the rock walls and grassy points and the right side as you head up the dam. all were caught on the bassman. jumped off one that might have went 70-75. the ones i landed were all about 50cm.went back out that arvo and caught 2 more togas just on dark on the bassman.

saturday 28th - started at 6am (was belting rain at 5am) and got 1 toga and 2 yellas along the rocky cliffs. at about 8am i headed up to the timber and got 1 more toga. jumped off another big one who hit the spinnerbait before it hit the water (well at least that's how it looked to me). fish caught this day were on a 1/2 ou terminator titanium spinnerbait with char/white skirt and tandem gold/silver blades.

met some young blokes fishing up in the timber who were catching bass in front of me. they caught them on jackalls and spinnerbaits. they had the place sussed, unlike myself.

had a few dramas for the trip. sounder chucked it in after 5 mins on day 1. on day 2 i got the boat (not mine, had borrowed from a mate) out of the water at 9am with a view to heading back out after lunch, but a leaf spring on the boat trailer snapped 15m up the boat ramp. was in all sorts of trouble. peak hour on saturday with half a dozen boats waiting for the ramp. managed to unhinge the trailer and get it half off the ramp (no one offered to help, mind). then raced back to the tourist park to call local servos to try to get spares. had much luck from then on - last servo i tried had 1 leaf spring - not an exact match but close enough to get me home. got the parts and was back at the ramp at 1am. thousand of people there by then. spent the next hour trying to get the nuts off the u-bolts, which were welded tight from corrosion. didn't have the right tools and my office hands weren't strong enough for the job. had to be a dozen people go past within the hour that didn't offer a hand. thankfully a couple of nice blokes came along eventually, who were mechanics (and hence had the right hands and tools) and did the job for me. i was exhausted. took them an hour to get the remaining 3 nuts off and then no time to change the spring.

was exhausted after all that so did no more fishing. headed into monto that arvo and bought a bottle of rum and case of beer for the 2 blokes who gave me a hand with the trailer. found them at the other tourist park. top blokes.

SE

SULLY73
30-01-2006, 07:46 PM
congrats S.E on the successful trip.It is a very enjoyable place to fish.When I think that we have fisheries like Awoonga,Monduran,Callide & Cania all within 2 hrs of my front door & u see & talk to people that travel huge distances to fish these impoundements u start to think how lucky we are in this region.

Herby13
31-01-2006, 10:15 AM
did you stay at the caravan park there? wat was it like? Ive heard great remarks about it.

Screaming_Eagle
31-01-2006, 10:30 AM
we stayed at the tourist park which is closest to the dam and which is part of the big 4 group. there are 2 with similar names.
the park was v good. cabins were comfortable, not flash, but worth the $75 per night. had nice surrounds with plenty of stuff for kids.
only complaint is that the staff were very unhelpful re my trailer crisis. none of them seemed to be doing much at the time but didn't offer any assistance, other than a tip to get to monto before the servo's shut. i thought they could have offered to lend a hand or at least some tools. when i asked them about tools they said they didn't think they had any, which i found doubtful given the large shed of tools right behind them...