PDA

View Full Version : Somerset Saturday

Richo1
05-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi all,

Went to Somerset yesterday. Launched at the Spit after the gates opened and within 1/2 an hour had a 36cm bass in the boat(released). Thinking we were in for a hot session fished untill 1230 without another bite except for a bunded grunter about the same size as the lure.

Water Surface temperature was 29 C.
Think the secret is to be out there real early in this hot weather. Next time will Camp so I can get on the water before sunrise.

Regards,

Richo

bdowdy
05-02-2006, 01:37 PM
hi mate your lucky you even caught a fish as i fished here not long ago and caught 000000000000 .cheers bdowdy

Fitzy
05-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Was up there today. Some awesome shows in the sounder told us there were good fish there. They were shut down pretty solid, didnt see anyone catch anything, most went home by mid morning.
We persevered for half a dozen or so bass. Best trick was rippin slugs thru em.
Nothing on plastics, jackalls, spinnerbaits or ice jigs.

Cheers,

fitz..

Richo1
06-02-2006, 07:45 AM
In Jewie Bay there were hundreds of shags in a feeding frenzy early morning, appeared to be feeding on something the size and colour of Frog Mouth Pilchards. Reckon they might have been small Gar. The feeding went on for about 1/2 an hour. We trolled, jigged , flicked all through it but no interest. Guess if there were that many Birds that bass would have bolted!

The only thing we didn't try was Slugs!

Don't know about anyone else, but the best fishing I've had at Somerset, was a cold, overcast day with a 20-25knot Southeaster blowing,with a water temp of 28 degrees. Lots of big Yellows and big Bass!

Cheers Richo

WHITTO
06-02-2006, 08:13 AM
:D :DG'Day Gary, Isn't this just like Somerset all over, mate was up there on Friday nailed himself 8 nice Bass rolling plastics very slowly off the bottom, the buggars are there as you said,just have to be around when they are on the chew, Cheers Whitto ;) ;)

Ippy_Fisher
07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I took my new boat out on Saturday there, 3.7 metre Stacer. And all I caught was Sunstroke (just about) My sounder said the water was 30+ degrees in some parts. It was ok when you were moving once you stopped the Heat just zapped ya... bit of a waste of time.

black_jackall
13-02-2006, 02:50 PM
fishing must be tough up there this past month, i usally leave there with 20 or more bass (all released), if u want u can give us a pm about techniques and spots and ill c if i can help,
hope the fishing gets better,

Tom