PDA

View Full Version : A Tuff day at Summerset.

Cloud_9
19-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Gaday all.
I had a need to catch a Bass
and summerset usualy has the goods.
but the only thing i got was a realy good enginre flush for Cloud 9.
Peter , myself and my daughter cast Jackalls slidders amd just about everything we had at the very few shows on the sounder for 4/5th's of Fu$# all.
when we arrived there was still fog on the water which made it hard to see where the heck we had to go.
by 10 o'clock all the boats disappeared ????
we didn't see another boat catch a fish the whole time we were there.!!
the Barrometer was at 1018 so the fish should have been chewing.
but there has been a couple feet rise in the water level, going by the fresh drounded grass.
may be next time.
Cheers cloud 9

Smithy
19-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Jamie,

after a rise they are usually over the newly flooded areas. Only problem is all the rotting vegetation creates gases etc. they don't like. There is usually a couple of week window where conditions are just perfect for them and champagne fishing can be had. They are usually quality fish as well. There have been some good bites in the tournaments held at Somersault over the years on newly flooded country. Maybe you were a bit early for the decomposition to finish or something or maybe too late. Who can tell with them.

Poseidon
20-03-2006, 09:08 AM
3 of us were on the water on the same day for around 6 hours, we were in the white 4.35 Hornet Trophy that gave you a wave around the flats about 8am.
Like you we tried everything from jackalls, spinner baits SPs and trolled forever for blot.
I was out with a friend who normally has good success on this dam to learn a few things with sounder readings and locations as to date any visit of mine to the dam has only yielded a few yellowbelly and still no bass.
Anyway, learnt a bit didn't see anyone else with fish either.

Regards Cameron.

BlitzBaga
20-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Jamie,

after a rise they are usually over the newly flooded areas.

Hey Smithy,

I see you havn't been to Sumersault for a while, we need rain to get newly flooded areas.

Cheers
Murray

Stumpthumpa
21-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I fished there the weekend before last. Following some advice from Warrior (thanks) we tried soft plastics down deep, but did no good, a few hits but no hookups. I managed to catch a few shrimps and following Warrior's suggestions we tried the area down near the Spit(?), boat launching area. Scored several good bass in the bay on the opposite side, while tied up to the sticks on the LHS heading in. Best was 1.6kg, but all fish did not appear to be in the best of condition - pretty hollow gutted. Best action was first light and you needed to leave the camping ground really early to beat the fog setting in.

Further back up the dam before Queen street there is a solitary post sticking just out of the water (dangerous), which marks the top of a small hump. This had some Bass and Goldens around it, with the best Golden going 3.7kg.

Smithy
21-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Heard it had come up a little bit.

WHITTO
22-03-2006, 07:49 AM
:D :DAccording to Fitzy Somerset has risen a couple of feet, Going up on Friday,if you are up there come over a say G'day, can,t miss me a big bloke in a small boat in the middle of nowhere rolling sliders off the bottom, Cheers #Whitto :) :)

Cloud_9
26-03-2006, 09:36 PM
ya id say acouple feet is right as the grass area is about 3-4 feet wide.
been told about useing mask vibes. fished on the bottom.
give that a go.
cheers Cloud 9

Fitzy
27-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Alot of bass suspended in 15 feet of water. Try jigging plastics & jackoffs or rollin spinners through the thermals.
A good sounder will show you the thermals & the fish.
*TIP*. If you want to jig a certain depth, use a nikko pen to put a mark on your line at the required depth.

A few fish on the edges last week, not alot tho. Will be back up there this wednesday for a look. ;)

Cheers,

fitzy..