PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Slow

Rhetly
13-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Fished Maroon this afternoon from about 1.30 to about 5.30.

Was a very lazy fish with Halco RMG Poltergeists trolled around the perimieter for the 3 hours or so, only resulting in 1 yellaguts that went 38cm. Was a very nice and healthy looking fish.

Just before dusk the surface started getting a bit of activity so i switched to a popper and flicked the shallow edges in the weed for about half an hour with no luck. I don't have a 'bass popper' as such, it was just something I had on me that I thought I would give a go. If anyone has any recommendations on a couple of good surface lures for bass, I'm all ears!

Was the first time I had fished Maroon with no bass and I always just troll the Poltergeists. Somedays they are red hot, and others........not.

There was alot of fresh weed growing further out from the back than normal which I put down to the recent rain, it was good to see the concrete of the ramp actually dissapearing into the water! However the weed made it fairly painfull to run the lures at depth and not end up full of weed once or twice a run. Has anyone fished here or Moogerah recently for better results?

The highlight of the afternoon was the guy and two kids pulling up in an inflatable row boat and pulling a fish out of a bucket and asking if I could identify it. I told him it was a bass (which it was) and he asked me if they were good eating and if it was of legal size. I said that they were quite good eating and the size didn't matter seem as he had already gut and gilled it. I think that it may have made 30cm if you held it with pliers at both ends and pulled like a teenager!!

Cheers

thunnus
17-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Rhetly,

Try a few of the smaller fizzers put by Australian Lure Molds, or the bills bugs. Also try the cidaca looking paddler but out by River 2 sea (buggi pop?) and for a more subtle retrieve try a Zara Puppy or Jackal Water Moccason. all have worked for me out there in the last few years.

Cheers, Justin

derfla
18-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Rhetly, fished there on the 11th from daylight till about 1000 hrs for much the same result - 1 bass 33cm caught on a sp next to the weed (which was easy to find). First time at this dam, beautiful sight driving down the hill and the dam covered in light fog.

Russell