PDA

View Full Version : Baroon Pocket today

Feral
28-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Daughter got 2 bass - 37 and 38cm, Son got 1- 34cm. Brought theirs home as they wanted to eat them, particulary my daughter it was her first Bass.

We caught a few more undersized Bass, and half a dozen or so Spotted Perch.

Caught them on live (saltwater) yabbies. There at 7:00am, fished until 10:30.

We were the only boat on the lake. Spent the first hour near the ramp, the fog was that thick you could not see more than about 50foot (forgot the gps). Daughter caught the 38cm Bass just in front of the cabins in 30 foot of water. Moved off to Grandads secret spot when the fog lifted, where we got the rest.

danos
29-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Nice fish...Do you know of any Cod in those waters?

Feral
29-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Suposed to be Mary River cod stocked if thats what you mean, but I've never got one, and your not allowed to keep em even if you get one (which does sound strange for a stocked fish).

land-lubber
29-05-2006, 08:47 PM
The reason you cannot keep mary river cod from the dam is that they are an endangered species and are naturally found in the waterways above and below the dam. I have caught mary river cod in the obi obi creek (below the dam ) on my uncles property. they usually go around 60cm and get a quick photo and are released. we catch them regularly and treat them with the utmost respect and value the location we fish (not for the cod of course) and ask that any1 that catches them, pls look after them.
cheers

Feral
30-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Well that explains that then!

Wonder if they worried about "genetic polution" when they stocked em... (IE Cod with slightly different genes from another system) Its the greenies latest big ticket item.

land-lubber
30-05-2006, 10:28 PM
no way m8, they are only found in the one system. thats it so very small gene pool and all the breeders are from that system and were wild fish to start off with as faar as i know.
who cares anyway, thryre an endangered species, any stocking of them is good imo.
i ham studying this sort of stuff at uni, definately no problems with this particular system
cheers

Feral
01-06-2006, 04:29 AM
Well all good then!

I wonder what their final intention is, just restocking to native levels (IE saving the cod from extinction), or actually intending to eventually provide a fishable population?