PDA

View Full Version : Nth Pine Dam

2DKnBJ
02-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Ventured out to the Nth Pine Dam on Sat arvo in hope of getting some Gar and Redclaw.
Didn't manage to berly any Gar up so we sat back and enjoyed the peace and quiet.
Only had 1 Redclaw by 8.30 so pulled the pin and let our 1 and only go for another day.
This was our first attempt at these little critters and wont be our last.Great spot to spend a quiet arvo relaxing.

Cheers Dazza

tiny_tinny
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Gidday Dazza,

If it's not too much to ask, can you let on where you were and if there are any gates closed at sunset?

I tried some time back at Bullocky's Rest (I think that's the name). I got about 8 redclaw, some pretty good size, but the gates were going to be locked, so I ended parking out on the road and climbing a fence to get to the dam.

Mike

Louis
04-04-2006, 03:18 PM
North Pine Dam is a pretty spot.

To catch a fish is just a bonus.

Louis

2DKnBJ
04-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Mike
I was at the picnic area inbetween Bullocky's and Forgan Cove.
The gates are locked at sunset but you can park outside and it only adds about 5 meters to the walking..
Cheers Dazza

Tri-Kun
04-04-2006, 11:26 PM
North Pine is a great place, i dont know about the fishing cause ever fishing there. the main target is the redclaw, and there were heaps laying arounds, the most redclaw we caught were like say 8-15 in one pot, and we have serveral pots around...overall nice place

caught-ya
15-04-2006, 12:01 PM
looks like a nice arvo,we went there a couple of months ago and caught 8 redclaw.

cheers,
bassamundi,

Freeeedom
15-04-2006, 02:07 PM
I went out this morning about 7am just to look for a few gar. They were a bit hard to find and never really came on the bite. I only managed about 20. Had a few baits out as well and managed three Tandans of respectable size.
Cheers Freeeedom

caught-ya
16-04-2006, 11:40 AM
freeeedom, have you tried using garfish for live bait?
cause i heard about it in the fishin magizine.

thanks,
kaimen

Freeeedom
17-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Never tried it - I find they are a very fragile fish that are difficult to keep alive for any length of time. If I had a good live bait tank in the boat (which I don't) I might give it a go. There are heaps of river gar, a few sea gar and the very odd snub nosed gar to be caught around the bay foreshores in winter. I usually go to the Shorncliffe pier when I want to stock up on the saltwater specimens.
Cheers Freeeedom

fish_crazy
17-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Headed out there myself this afternoon hoping to catch a bass or 2. The water levels are very low at the moment. Didn't get any but got a few gar for bait to use out in the bay. Even they were not co operating.

Johnny

hellmannnn
27-04-2006, 11:53 PM
do you need a permit for Northpine?

hellmannnn

Freeeedom
28-04-2006, 08:47 AM
No permit needed for North Pine. Also no swimming, access only at designated picnic areas and no watercraft (except for a restricted number of permit holders using electric motors or paddles - or have they been stopped while the levels are low?)
Cheers Freeeedom

shayned
28-04-2006, 03:05 PM
My last trip for gars went well considering I was helping other people fish, I did how ever put one live out under a float. It did get smashed but I unhooking someones fish a fair way away when it happened and by the time I got to the rod it was all too late. Next trip, hey!

Az
05-05-2006, 09:54 AM
No permit needed for North Pine. Also no swimming, access only at designated picnic areas and no watercraft (except for a restricted number of permit holders using electric motors or paddles - or have they been stopped while the levels are low?)
Cheers #Freeeedom

you can also get access around near the cemetery on the samsonvale side and another park further north also

we have had a lot of success with redclaw here in the past, but be prepared to lose a few pots to damn theifs

Freeeedom
10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Az posted

"you can also get access around near the cemetery on the samsonvale side and another park further north also

we have had a lot of success with redclaw here in the past, but be prepared to lose a few pots to damn theifs"

Yes, I've been to the cemetery a couple of times to try for redclaw in the summer. Never got as many as I was getting at Forgan Cove. The water level is so low at the moment that if you go to the other park (on the Samford - Dayboro Rd) you can't even see the water, just field of grass!
Cheers #Freeeedom

Az
10-05-2006, 10:54 PM
yeh, it was like that the last time i went there aswell
though back when I was doing well there and at the cemetery the water was right up to picnic area and you could get them at your feet

Freeeedom
12-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Chased some gar today from Forgan Cove since the tailor bait supplies were getting a bit low. Managed 31 of pretty good quality, but I had to work hard for them - took me about 4 hours all up.
Cheers Freeeedom

BrandonH
23-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Freedom, yeah permits are on hold till the water gets back up to 40%!!!! #:'(

the first decent (non tarlarpia/spangled pearch) we got in the pine was a silver at the cemitery. I haven't fished there for a few months now its just depressing out there atm :-[. its been even longer since i have tried for redclaw.
But..... at dawn and dusk about 50mtrs from the wall cast a jackel or other sinking lure out towards the airaitor (bubbleline) as far as you can and let it sink b4 retriving. should be able to pickup a couple of bass outa that hole ;)

Just don't forget that its a bag limit of 2 Bass if you wanta eat them and report all tagged fish!!!!!

Ps: 56cm Bass from tagging session a few months ago..

http://members.optusnet.com.au/bjh79/images/Brandon's%2056%20CM.%20Bass%20002.jpg

Cheers
Brandon...

BrandonH
23-05-2006, 11:01 PM
bump

land_based
26-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Went out just near Bullocks rest to chase some gar for shark bait. My worst session ever in this spot, only picked up 6 gar :-/ Do they usually get a bit more scarce when winter comes in???
I did go out the next night to the brissy river and pick up a nice bull shark on one though :)

Freeeedom
26-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I normally find them better in the winter ROb, and their average size is bigger too. I've been out twice recently to stock up the bait supplies. Two weeks ago I managed 31, then a week ago I got 51 of much better quality. They should only get better for the next 3 or 4 months (hopefully)
Cheers Freeeedom

Ol_Yella
28-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Fished Forgan cove with my daughter this morning. Spent about an hour and a half, we caught a Tandan (60 cm's) three Tilapia, all over 55cm and a nice 40 cm silver perch. The cattie and silver went back for someone elses pleasure in future times. I was surprised to even get a bite, as things have been pretty slow this past few months, might have been my special burly!! Anyway it was a beautifull morning, and the lake is less three of those pest fish ;)

budgebass
31-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Gidday Folks

Just a question about gar for bait for the briny.

Had a mate that reckoned Freshwater Gar are no good as a saltwater bait.

Do you do anything to these gar - soak them in tuna oil or something

Cheers
Budgebass

Freeeedom
02-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Budgebass - I use them all the time in the salt water and find that the tailor take them quite readily. I was also using them when I bagged out on snapper off Woody Point on 25th may in about an hour and a half, so they'll do me anytime. The gar in freshwater are all snub nosed gar. If you want saltwater gar (mostly river gar with a few seagar and the odd snub nose) they are usually plentiful through the winter from the end of the Shorncliffe Pier when there is a high tide soon after dawn
Cheers Freeeedom

budgebass
03-06-2006, 07:29 PM
THanks Freedom

Sometimes you never know until you ask. Yes I have a couple of mates divided, one reckons they work the other reckon they dont.

Cheers
Budgebass