PDA

View Full Version : Wet  Windy Maroon

webby
13-06-2006, 07:52 PM
For something different, instead of salt, we camped at Big riggan for the l/weekend and fished marooon sat/sun.
Sat was a wipe out with rain most of the day, so it was around the camp fire and downed a few black cans.
Sun we hit the dam early along with around 10 boats fishing the abt comp. the morning was perfect wx and finally nailed my first for this dam, never fished it before.
And yes it came on a jackal, down near that little rocky island, tons of fish on the sounder especially along the drop offs leading to the spillway, but not interested it what ever we tried.
By midday the wind camp up and it must have blown 20-25kts and turned the placid waters into a white cap and big swell zone :o
Gave up around 2pm and i reckon it was about to snow, and the wind seems to be getting stronger, dont no how those in the abt comp went as they all departed before us.
Anway enjoyable weekend, now its back to the salt.
regards

webby
13-06-2006, 08:01 PM
This is what she looked like when we finally tossed it in, looked more like the bay then a inland dam ;D

rakinray
13-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Whats going on Brian ! :o Catching sailfish, Cruising around in thirty foot luxury cruisers drinking gin and tonic, Fishin inland dams for bass, whats next a trip to Sydney for the "GAY" Mardi Gra !

CHEERS RAY PS better get you back to the bay ! QUICK !

aaron_gilmour
16-06-2006, 01:40 PM
HI Webby,

Good to see a salt dog come out and have some fun on the freshwater scene. Sometimes it great to have a change and mix it up a bit. As for the bass comp, 30 anglers and 18 boats sailed arounfd the dam in that strong westerly.

33 legal bass were prestented to the weightmaster and the most fishing the weed beds up the western end early before the wind pushed them back to sheltered water.

I stayed up in the weed beds and put up with the wind to eventually get a lucky bag and take out the comp. I didnt see you but my run back from the weed beds to the ramp over the 1/2m swell was fun. You must of been around the hump rocky island when i returned.

Looks like you got a few legal fish yourself. I used soft plastics to tempt my fish and was fising over the weed beds. The jackall are a great lure and you are right with the fish hugging the drop offs. Unforunately size is a issue with alot of the schooling fish.

Good luck if you head out again.

Cheers
Aaron