PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Dam

Narby_Pup
25-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Luck enough live 6minutes from this fishing paradise. We finally got organised enough to venture out and have a crack at these Barra. Dusted of the old bas gear from the southern days and spooles it up with heavy Braid,Charged up the electric and of we went. Managed to get out 2 weekends in a row. We cruised around the shallow water with the electric in the warmer part of the day. The 1st weekend we were lucky enough to catch and release two barra over the magic metre. My elderest son caught a monster one it went 116cm and I caught a 110cm monster what awsome fish. Unfortunately the camera was not on board.
The 2nd weekend went out in the warmest part of the day and cruised the shallows. Lucky enough to catch and release a little barra only going 75cm. This time we made shaw the camera was on board.

Here are some pics

Narby_Pup
25-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Sorry #:-[ fellas the pics are not going through

I will send them through when they work

Cheers

Smailesy
25-06-2006, 08:54 AM
116cm great fish hope to get a look at the 75cm

perko
25-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Way to go bro. All those bass lessons I gave you are finally coming to use hey! Might have to resize your pics to post them. Keep sussing them out for us. We will be up soon.

trout3030
26-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Well done Pup. Guess it might be a bit cold by the time I get up your way. Just have to drink rum then.

DECKA_@_NOOSA
28-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi Pup
Looking foward to having a fish at AWOONGA
Never fished the qld lakes whats the go this time of year is it getting too cold to make a trip up were you
Trolling or flicking lures or plastics..read a few reports are gold and silver classics ok

Sounds like you love your fishing ..welldone

DECKA

setthehook
29-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I will be living not too far from Awoonga soon, can wait!!! How long does is the season for catching barra in that area? And is the fishing anygood in the river running east from the dam?
Cheers Rob.

Awoonga
29-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Barra all year round just that they slow down a bit in winter

BlitzBaga
03-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah

They slow down to nothing I reckon, nah just kidding because I went fishless over the last long weekend.

BigChiefBarra
03-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Hit the dam on Saturday. Old man hooked a very solid fish that straightened the trebles.@#@

Saw plenty of Barra cruising the shallows, had some interested - 3 strikes but no hook-up's

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
03-07-2006, 10:29 PM
### the mullet are getting that big in the lake, some exceeding 6kg, and in a shoal they shift so much water that they can be easily mistaken for barra. Bow waves from mullet can be easily recognised in many situations, and can trick an experienced anglers eye.
johnny

setthehook
03-07-2006, 10:49 PM
jeez 6kg mullet~~~ i might chase mullet too when i get there :P