PDA

View Full Version : Clarrie hall Dam tips

gav39
10-07-2006, 08:12 PM
We are going down to the Clarrie hall dam on sunday the 16/07/2006. This will be only my second time down there, is there anyone out there with a bit of local knowledge that they would not mind sharing.

aaron_gilmour
11-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi Gav,

Try any points that jut out into the main basin. As for lures I would suggest sticking to plastics. Stand out would be a 3/8oz jig head rigeed 3" atomic fatgrub. the ever reliable pumkinseed or applecord would be the best bet.

Not sure what the weed situation is like though.

Cheers

Aaron

themisses
12-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Spinner baits!! If you can get hold of the spin blades that you add you own sp to. They work a treat!! ;) We were out there a few weeks ago, the were really thin around the belly, didn't put up too much of a fight but still fun. There are worse places to spend a day.

Good luck!!Cheers Kim.

P.S. Take note of the gate closing times, be bloody cold if you were locked in and had to spend the night.

gav39
13-07-2006, 12:44 PM
I believe opens at 7.30am and close at 5.30pm is that correct. Allthough we will probally be leaving at about 2.30 pm anyway. Is the fishing any better futher down towards the wall or near the boat ramp end. Last time we only made it about 1/2 way to the wall, did not do to bad go 1 nice fish about 42cm on a jackal and another 39cm. I through them both back though as we were only down there for fun. We also got a couple of smaller fish to. Also where there is that clump of dead trees just around to the left about 15 minutes north of the boat ramp has anyone done any good in there. To me it looks awesome for surface fishing in the summer time it is a shame the gates don't open earlier in the summer months.

themisses
14-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi Gav,
Never got organized enough to take the tinny over. Now with the bigger boat and the 50 on the back just a little heavy to take off.(I think it is electric only??) I'm wishing for a canoe from santa. :D We have only ever fished below the wall. We usually go out on wet and windy days and walk the stream, nice and protected. Look out for ticks and leeches, ended up with a tick in my belly button last time. Those times sound familar, there is a sign up at the gate. :)
Let us know how you go!!
Good Luck Kim.

gav39
14-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Yes it is only electric motors only. Be nice to Santa and you never know what he might bring you.
I will let you know how we go, hopefully we might have a good day. But really just good to get out there, the catch is just a bonus.

Gav

themisses
14-07-2006, 01:15 PM
If santa reads this thread there may be one waiting for me when i get home!! ;D

gav39
16-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Well 7.30am kick off out at the clarrie hall dam sunday the 16/07/06 there waiting for the gates to open pretty keen. Slow day but a fun day just trying different lures at different depths and different squidgies. Trolled down to near the dam wall and back only 2 small bass on the way down. so on the way back called into a cove half way along got 2 small bass and 1 bass about 39 cms just throwing towards the banks on a speckley green lure. we got another further back towards the boat ramp, so all up we landed 6 and lost 1. ( released all of them ). We got off the dam about 3.00pm

Ps colours we used 2 bass on silver grey ghost lure and 4 on the same speckley green.

We trolled deep and shallow but caught all 6 bass 20 foot and above

Gav :D