PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mac 28/7

tiges
28-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Rain started to clear this arvo, so thought I'd hop out onto the lake for the last couple of hrs of light. Have recently moved into my new place that overlooks the lake, takes me a grand total of 3-4mins to get to the ramp, so taking advantage of holes in the schedule are a lot easier now. Wasn't sure weather to go for a surf instead, but after getting great waves y'day morning thought I'd go for a fish instead, was glad I did. The fish were in a rabid mood and ended up boating around 20 bass. A good cross section of sizes/yr classes with most in the high 30's-low 40's. The fish were holding in an area of mainly 5-6m depth, but it had a couple of deeper sections down to 9m, and a few bits of structure around. Quite a few of the fish dragged me straight into the snags, but it was pretty twiggy stuff and managed to extricate them. Started with the mask vibe and it was instantly braining them. Was one of those days where it felt like it wouldn't matter what you threw at 'em, they were all over it, so tried a bit of everything at 'em. Here's a few of the better ones, with what lures they took a liking to.

Cheers
Tiges

tiges
28-07-2006, 07:37 PM
The go to lure, mask vibe.

tiges
28-07-2006, 07:39 PM
This great looking little Daiwa cultiva bibless finally opened it's account.

tiges
28-07-2006, 07:41 PM
And funnily enough my 1st fish on a regular tn60 jackall.

tiges
28-07-2006, 07:44 PM
Best fish of the day went 45cm fork length. On the old favourite, the smoke core slider grub on a beetlespin.

tiges
28-07-2006, 07:47 PM
The most satisfying catch of the day, my first fish on a stickbait. This fish absolutely nailed the lure and went like a scaulded cat. They definitely go harder on the single hook lures, like the stickbait and beetlespin.

tiges
28-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Only concerning thing about the session was that a few of the fish had some funky looking infection around their fins, and gills. Anyone know what it is?

TinarooTriumph
28-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Another great report Tiges, well done! Some good looking fish in that lot - and they are fat buggers arnt they!. Id say some of those Lake MacDonald bass are a little agro towards each other, regarding that last pic. Id say they are just ganging up on each other.

Would you say the Beetlespin works the best for you there?. Good to see the Slickbait caught you a Bass, I havnt heard of many bass being landed on Slickbaits. More of a Bream lure if im correct.

Again, top stuff. Won't be too much longer until you see some of my reports flooding in. Number 1) Weather is clearing up quickly for me to get outside, and Number 2) Will be getting my own boat in a matter of months, hopefully.

Cheers.

TT 8-)

bdowdy
29-07-2006, 10:22 AM
:)nice bass tiges very nice, with the fungal looking thing ive seen afew cod and yellas like this and its learnea or ahook worm can be pulled off the fish but doesnt seem to worry them much. did they have little sores with white wormy things. well thats what it looks like to me, any one else have any idea. cheers bdowdy ;)

Bassjunky
08-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Are you allowed to leave your outboard on your boat still at macdonald?
Do you only need a sip to fish here aswell? Any info on this lake would be greatly appreciated.

Davey
08-08-2006, 04:09 PM
BassJunky,
You do require an SIP,
You are able to leave the outboard on.
You also need plenty of endurance!! I find it tough fishing there.
Dave