PDA

View Full Version : Somerset Bass

sonocam
26-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Wednesday:
My father and I ventured down to Somerset dam to break our bass drought. Perfect conditions, not even a breath of wind. Got on the water about 7:45am and Cam's good mate Gavin got us onto a patch of fish at Queen street and that's where I hooked onto a beaut yellow belly on a slider baby bass. A few minutes later my father hooked onto a nice sized bass, THE DROUGHT BREAKER!, caught on a smoke yellow slider and then another yellow belly was brought to the boat by my slider, at that stage I said " I have to change this lure!" and immediately I switched to a nills master ice jig and it paid off, my first bass but unfortunately my dad stuffed up the photo but it is one of the three in the live well. We travelled towards the spit and found a school of bass; many bass were caught but none of any size. All in all a good day with six fish caught.

Tuesday:
Got on water about 8:15am and headed to Queen Street but nothing was there. We headed to the spit once again and there were the bass, just like the week before. I hooked on to the first fish on a bait caster and the fish almost ripped the rod out of my hands and then the hooks came out and then I discovered that the drag was cranked up to full, no wonder! We then started catching fish, some every few castes and once two in two casts caught by me and my father unfortunately only caught one. Five fish all up and all caught on ice jigs.

Great fishing all round and finally our bass drought is broken!

Regards Kyle

sonocam
26-08-2006, 06:34 PM
bass

sonocam
26-08-2006, 06:36 PM
My first and second bass in the livewell, the other is my fathers.

gavstef
26-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Good on ya guys - broke the drought finally, is all good fun. Some of these we caught pulled like freight trains.

Did you go back the week after?

Gavstef

mikedel
26-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Nice report Kyle. :)

sonocam
26-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeah Gav we went back last Tuesday (took a sickie from school!) and caught a few.
Regards Kyle

SWFISHER
26-08-2006, 07:57 PM
well done mate , we also cleaned up last weekend cheers kevin

flickflack
27-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Well done guys, top effort. :)

I must try and get out to Somerset and catch a few.

Cheers Rod

BassCowboy
27-08-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey mate

Great fish, Somerset is really firing at the moment and probably will do so well into september and maybe even early october. Looks like your fish came from deep water, did you vent them??? This stops them floating away on release
and in the live well. Theres a good information page on venting in the Australian Bass Website,

Good Luck

Chris (cowboy) Galligan

Poseidon
27-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the information on venting, might give it a try next time we are out. I assume that a hypodermic needle with the plunger removed is the go ? Can you purchase needles over the counter at the chemist without a 'please explain.'

Regards Cameron.

wardypig
27-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey guys,

Saw you out there on Tuesday. I was in the 390 Hornet with my 3 year old son (had to take a pee if you remember). We had a great day on the water and will be probably heading back up on Wednesday. I have a fresh supply of ice jigs so hopefully I will get a few more bites than last week.

Cheers.

Poseidon
27-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I remember Wardy, sure is a small world. I will keep my eyes out for you next time, drop over and say hello.

Regards Cameron.

wardypig
27-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Will do mate. I don't have any Ausfish stickers on my boat, so I should fix that!!!! I am still cleaning the chips and pieces of apple out of the carpet from my boy. It's a shame bass don't eat these foods as he set up a good berley trail!!

BassCowboy
27-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Venting

I like to use an 18 guage needle. You can ask your local chemist or vet, tell them what it is being used for. When venting it can also help to hold the fish just under the water to see the bubbles escape, the same principals for yellowbelly also. With some practice and following the info on Aust Bass, all of your fish should survive, I have vented fish in ABT tournaments and had them in excellent condition for release up to 5hrs after capture.

Good Luck

Cowboy

Poseidon
27-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the information Chris.

SWFISHER
28-08-2006, 08:56 AM
KYLE CHECK YOUR PM'S MATE CHEERS KEVIN

warrior
29-08-2006, 06:17 AM
all somerset fish i have got lately have had to be vented no matter what depth i get them in,must be the conditions they probably spend most of there time down deep and come up into the shallows on short bursts to feed due to the water levels.only my opinion though.

BassCowboy
30-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Warrior,

I have found that the larger fish tend to suffer the most from barotrauma, these big girls can get it from 5m of water, yellows same, its simply to do with the stress of being captured, However, keep up the venting as it works.

Cheers
Chris