PDA

View Full Version : Big W bass electric what a blast

ele-phrez
03-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Today went and entered the bass electric with the cowboy at Wivenhoe Dam, what a day!
I scored a bag of 5.45kg with a big bass of 2.8, the time I have ever caught bass out of this dam. The cowboy had a simaler bag of 5.05. We thought we had a big bag but as the other people came in the bags got bigger. The winner had a bag of 5.7 kg and the big bass was won by 2nd place with a massive 3.15 kg. It was a rank day with the top 15 anglers having 5kg plus bags. I ENDED UP 4TH FOR THE DAY i'm happy to get a bag of 5kg plus and the heaviest I have ever caught, thanks to the skipper for taking me out. here are some pics.

ele-phrez
03-09-2006, 08:26 PM
;)

ele-phrez
03-09-2006, 08:32 PM
:o

tiges
03-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Top effort boys. Are you running 2 tiller steers and a bowmount on the boat? How many batteries ya carrying? Whats top speed in knots? Classic , and once again well done.

scottym
03-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Nice fish. What were you catching them on?

cheers

Scott

Smailesy
04-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Charles when are you going to come with me and catch some real fish

Canoedle
04-09-2006, 09:46 AM
;D Nice Bass mate, wow 5.7Kg in two bass, that's some serious fish, wish I could find some of those in there, 3 trips out in the last month and not a single bass. I'd love to know what you go them on.

aaron_gilmour
04-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi Ele-phrez,

What a day!! congeats on you 4th place and good fish. Big W certainly turned it on for us. I ended up with a 5.1kg bag and my brother had a 4.5kg bag.

Its great to see Wivenhoe finally fishing to its potential in a comp. You know the day is good when you are throwing back 50cm+ bass as they are not big enough. At 1 stage in the morning I had the sounder black out from 5foot under the boat to the bottom at 70foot!!! ;D

The 3.15 kg bass caught by John was only 51cm to the fork but fat!! I am sure next year the 6kg bag will be brought in.

Here a pic of my 2 fish for the day.

Cheers

Aaron

chicken
04-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey charles you know cowboy won't take you out anymore because you keep outfishing him. Nice fish anyway. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ssab1
04-09-2006, 06:04 PM
great to see the big girls on the chew,prime fish caught on electric only ,way to go lets keep it electric and theyll be around for years to come .cheers alex

bdowdy
04-09-2006, 06:40 PM
;)bloody lovely bass fellas congrats . cheers bdowdy ;)

BassCowboy
04-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Tiges , Yes mate I have 160lb thrust, do approx 6km an hour, just work amp hours into amps used by motors, it is set up for the 7 km run up from Logans and Back. Pushing a heavy boat

Ian Galloway runs 3 x 82lbers with 8 batteries, he runs at around 7.5 k's to 8 k's

Aaron, I reckon 6kg will be cracked next season too, can't wait for that. We caught our stable fish during that morning bite, when that slowed we hit the flats, we both got our kicker fish then. What a comp with the top 15 anglers 5kg plus, Apparently Mike Weger hit them on the Saturday stinging 60 odd fish,

Now its convention planning,

Once again congratulations to all the 5kg club,

Cheers
Chris(cowboy)Galligan

aaron_gilmour
04-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Here is a pic of the sounder blacking out. I am sorry about glare but when you see this on your sounder its really hard to take a pic and fish at the same time ;D

I caught smaller fish early like you and then upgraded on the 30ft flats using a slow rolled plastic.

cheers
Aaron

Canoedle
04-09-2006, 09:42 PM
:o

ele-phrez
05-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Great pics aaron

straddy77
05-09-2006, 08:52 AM
nice work charles, its always good to see the cowboy get beaten.

BassCowboy
05-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Canoodle,

I got my fish on a Susukee Blade by Jackall, Using three rips of the rod and letting the lure fall back to the bottom, note the lure was being hit on the pause,

On the flats I was using a TN60, it took a bit to find a pattern but once it was cracked I had a ball, Using 3 medium winds of the reel and letting the lure fall, for 2-3 seconds, then 3 small hops taking up the slack of line, Fish were hitting on the 2nd or 3rd hop. This was done according to fish activity in the water column, counting down the lure was required.

Hope this helps

Cowboy

onnecastaway
05-09-2006, 07:59 PM
yes it was a good comp and some great fishing
the down side though was when the fish were released after weighin-in to see them floating with extended bladders they should have been vented when they were caught not after the weigh-in. One of the rules of the ABT comps is thet for the fish to be eligable for weigh-in they must be able to swim away not float belly up in the dam not saying any of the fish in these pics were the fish i saw.

BassCowboy
05-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Castaway,

Congrats on the good fish mate, that bag would have put you in the top 10 at the last comp.
Yes fish do have a good survival rate if vented correctly, the whole idea of the ABT is sustainability, catch and release, this includes the bream rounds. A little self education goes a long way, Jamie Kanowski has has a good story on how to vent fish thats simple and easy to follow, in the AustralianBass Website, I guess its hard to prove whos fish is the floater when 30 odd anglers decend apon the weighmaster, I thought that Dale did a very proffesional job. Anyway, fish gas does not equal grams so venting is the way to go.

Cheers
Cowboy

aaron_gilmour
05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Castaway,

I know what you are saying regarding the floating fish. I spent 20 min after weighing my fish in catching 4 bass that were floating near the weigh in. i was using a 19 gauge needle and all 4 fish swam off afterwards. By the end of the comp I think there was only 1 fish still floating out off the boat ramp.

Its hard to accuse anyone of not having their fish swim off. As the Ciowboy said when the weigh master has 20 anglers all trying to weigh fish its hard to keep track. I dont mind venting fish that others have neglected or not done properly as we all want the big fish alive and in the dam for next time.

Maybe there should be a article in the next tournament guide explaining exactly how to vent bassand do it properly. I was shown last BIg W comp by Mike Connolly how to do it and the next day went and bought a few big needles to throw in the top of the tackle box. As for venting fish straight after capture i had numerous fish self vent in my well before release when upgraded. I spose each bass is different and action to vent or not vent a each case senario.

Cheers
Aaron

06-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Some beautiful bass pics there lads, well done! I was just wondering, was the tournament run out of logans or from the sailing club this time?

Regards
CT

Canoedle
06-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Canoodle,

I got my fish on a Susukee Blade by Jackall, Using three rips of the rod and letting the lure fall back to the bottom, note the lure was being hit on the pause,

On the flats I was using a TN60, it took a bit to find a pattern but once it was cracked I had a ball, Using 3 medium winds of the reel and letting the lure fall, for 2-3 seconds, then 3 small hops taking up the slack of line, Fish were hitting on the 2nd or 3rd hop. This was done according to fish activity in the water column, counting down the lure was required.

Hope this helps

Cowboy

Cheers mate ;)

Fitzy
06-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Here a pic of my 2 fish for the day.

Cheers

Aaron

G'Day Aaron,
Firstly a big congrats to you & the rest of the folks who caught some of the horse Big W bass.

I dont want to rain on the parade, but holding those 2 big girls up by their jaw has signed their death sentence. They may have swum away, but they're as good as dead by now unfortunately.
Those bass are well over 10 years old, probably closer to 15.

Simply asking that you either declare them dead & take them home for dinner, or simly support their weight under their belly.

Cheers & thanks,

Fitzy..

aaron_gilmour
06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi Fitzy,

I totally agree with you regarding the pic and it is bad example to hold big fish. :-[ I was greedy and wanted a pic with both big bass and in forsight i should of sat down and rested the fish on my legs to support their weight and took the pic instead of holding them up the way I have done but want ed to get them on their way as soon as I could. I did take a pic with the bass individually where I supported them correctly.

I am totally committed to looking after the fish i catch and plan to release, including not using a net when not required or taking them out of the water, to using fin safe landing net and minimum time out of the water.

I know there has been alot of talk about barra not being looked after, incorrectly held, etc and I spose I /we should all remember that it doesnt matter how big the fish is, hold the fish always supported in the correct manner.

I apoligise to all for not doing the right thing and am very dissapointed that those big girls are probably not swimming around today. :'(

Thanks Fitzy for bringing it up. See you out on the water

Cheers

Aaron

Apple
06-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Nice fish Aaron,
It's a great place to fish hey.

Cheers Adrian ;)

BassCowboy
06-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Fitzy

Just a question, what about the stress they go through in the water during capture, have you ever seen John Scofield pull his fish in, ???? I know I certainly give my fish heaps as a head shake can equal a dropped Bass, your insight on this would be appreciated. Is it that because in the water the fish have lesser density, and those stresses are not exasibated, Out of the water gravity takes over ????.

Cheers
Chris

BassCowboy
06-09-2006, 09:07 PM

Mate the comp was run out of Hays inlet, hence the high fish capture rate as it was only a 20 minute steam to find them, guys with small poundage thrust where just as competitive as the high thrust guys.

Hope this Helps

Chris

onnecastaway
06-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Aaron
your efforts to help those fish were noted and appreciated its a shame to only catch them once
my boat was already out of the water when i noticed them floating about or i would have helped. i saw at least 4 fish that had made it out into the bay before they went belly up but at onr stage i counted 9 fish that were in trouble one definitely died and it was right across the southern side and being bashed by some pelicans.thanks again for your efforts mate conservation is the key
cheers mate
onecastaway

Smailesy
07-09-2006, 11:49 AM
aaron well said good to see a apoligy said with out bitterness

Smailesy
07-09-2006, 12:15 PM
chriss just my opinion maybe you guys should use lighter line and tune your drags play the fish not scull drag them in by doing this there is so many good things in favour for the fish. 1 #you will not have to vent them #2 #when the fish are in your live well they are more tired so less likly to damage them selves 3 its more sporting and more fun giving the fish a chance to win and number 4 #the challenge .The only downfall can be fitting the fish to death this can be avoided by swimming your fish on release JUST MY OPION BOYS

ele-phrez
07-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Well said. I have heaps of fun catching bass on 2kg line at Moogerah the other week it was alot of fun, with the spool screming and line peeling off. You gota love that ;D

Creek_Vermin
07-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Yeah smailesy completely agree mate.

straddy77
07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
couldnt agree more smailsey, good advice

Apple
07-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi Aaron

Give me a call when u get a chance

Cheers Adrian

chicken
08-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Here here smailesy totally agree no fun if the fish can't have a chance (probably the most sensible you've ever said) ;D Just jokes mate I know you can take it ;) ;)