PDA

View Full Version : Ewan Maddock 9/9/06

hardb8
09-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Fished here today for the first time.Went in blind as I have no knowledge of this lake whatsoever but did O.K. I spose.5 Bass landed from 44 - 49cm.Fished for 3 hours.

Missed about this many fish again (5-6) due to pulled hooks and one fish that ploughed into the weed beds like a steam train,Hooked up the lure on the weed and pulled himself free.Didn't count another I had boatside as he too threw the hooks as I was getting out the tape ::)(Fish of the session) about 51-52cm.If ya don't pull the hook from the fish it don't count.

The majority of strikes came from 18 to 15 foot of water along the weeds edge,Couple in open water while trolling as I was sussing the bottom with the sounder looking for structure,Dropoffs etc.
I fished only a small section of the Eastern side and used a TN/60 for casting and Flicks Cobra on the troll.

Spoke to a local as I was loading up to go and he told me some spots to try.Keen to go back and check em out as it's a nice place with quite powerfull fish.No one else fishing,Had the place to myself. 8-)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Regards hardb8 # #;)

tiges
09-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Good stuff Hardb8, I had a couple of good sessions on there back in winter. Sounds like you were fishing a similar area. Don't ya love it when there's no-one else around. The Maddock has some of the fittest, fattest, fastest bass for their size in my opinion. Did you try with poppers, or were you there more midday?

jimmybob
09-09-2006, 06:25 PM
shhhhhhh ;)

hardb8
09-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi tiges,
# # # # # # I had issues finding the ramp so I got there a bit late.I did throw a stick bait around first thing though,But had no responses.My first impressions were it looks like a great topwater fishery.Quite a few lillys and lots of flooded grass.Seen a couple of swirls mid dam,My inital thoughts were big rouge Toga maybe?Don't know if they're there though.

Had the most awsome surface session last weekend,A mate took me to one of those honey holes ya dream about,He's had it under wraps for a year >:(,And with good reason.Then again what sort of mate keeps that from ya?Was averagin strikes every third cast :o # # Unf&*kinbelievable!Only small fish to about 25cm,But unreal fun.From about 4 o'clock till 8:30pm,Left em bittin cause he had to be home for tea :oThe above mentioned location aint to far away(Same temp and conditions)So I seen no reason for the Bass at Maddock not to be hittin tha surface.Would have stayed for the arvy session,But had to vote >:(

Do the gates get opened and closed at certain times at (The Maddock #8-))?As I don't mind early starts and late finishes when it comes to top waters.

Poppers hey jimmybob?

What's ya poison?Skitterpops,Chugbugs,Pop R's,Bubble Pops......As they say,When in Rome.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Cheers hardb8 # #;)

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

jimmybob
09-09-2006, 11:00 PM
i really like the bugga chugs when the xmas bettles are around......did ya see many reptiles swimmin around? last time i was there i saw several snakes in the water and a massive goanna havin a dip...

Canoedle
09-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a successful session to me mate, can't complain about that at all.

Bundy_Burp
09-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Considering you went in blind it sounds like you did very well

Bundy 8-)

flyfisho
10-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Hey Hardb8,
Good work Mate the possibility of those fish in the middle being Togas is pretty good I have seen masive togas in there as far back as 85 /86 when I was kid ,I grew up only a couple of K away and fish ther as often as I can I still only live around the corner (different spot now) , I would like to attract as much interest in that puddle as possible to see if we can finaly get on there with some sort of motor without the same rules as baroon pocket but similar to lake Macdonald, the place is stacked with horse fish and its just going begging what a shame :'(
last time I fished there was with Tiges and it sounded like it fished pretty similar for you too, the gates are locked at certain time but the hours are on the gate I think its seven to seven or somthing like that
sorry I havn't retuned the PM I am still tryin to rack up 10 posts
the Barra are Rare there is probaly 20-30 fish all up that I have heard have been put there from the midnight stocking program ,thats why the gates are there I suppose the weed nearly took over that dam ,they reckon it came form some one emptying a fish tank in the Dam

manangatang
11-09-2006, 10:28 AM
maybe those big swirls ,heard of barra in there dont know how many,cheers.