PDA

View Full Version : My freshwater experience

Foolish_Chicken
15-09-2006, 01:17 PM
I went boating (caught nothing otherwise it would be fishing) in the Teemburra Dam yesterday. The water level was @ 20%.

With the info gathered from locals they tell me the barra to water% ratio would be in my favour.....nnnnnnnnnt wrong........

Maybe next time i might need a guide. Although not dissapionted too much, it won't be my last trip to the fresh.

Mike

Foolish_Chicken
15-09-2006, 01:19 PM
Dam wall

Foolish_Chicken
15-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I tried casting and trolling h b lures and soft plastics

Foolish_Chicken
15-09-2006, 01:48 PM
another pic

Foolish_Chicken
15-09-2006, 01:50 PM
but wait ........... there's more

Foolish_Chicken
15-09-2006, 01:56 PM
....and 1 more

Leigh77
15-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Never been there...but I am thinking you are unlucky not to get a fish out those snags...especially that last one.

scottym
15-09-2006, 02:18 PM
The first time I went there back in 2003 we caught nothing but everytime since that we have done fairly well with a few fish per trip. Best fish went 92cm.

cheers

Scotty

ele-phrez
15-09-2006, 03:44 PM
looks fishy as

kingfisho
15-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Good pics looks pretty good keep tryingIt took me a while to get used to freshwater at Glenbawn Dam as well but now I have a ball
Cheers

staggy
15-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey Mike, take a look at the lower branch behind the barra and then look at your last pic,,,look familiar ;D.

Iv caught several nice fish off the snag laying in the water against the bank. Havent fished it for a fair while though.

Staggy

staggy
15-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Also back to the right of that snag in the small bay there is another sizeable chunk of tree laying from the bank into the water where Iv caught a nice size sooty. And the tree in the second last pic you posted with the bark comming off just to the left of your last pic has produced only one nice barra after a thousand casts to it.

Did you try casting to the weed beds around the small islands you had to have passed to get to that spot. When the water temp comes up give them a go with both sp,s and hardbodies.

Plus there is alot of much better country to fish if you head through the timber towards the old homestead in the Teemburra Creek section of the dam. Go to the MAFSA site and click on WATERWAYS to get a general map view of the dam. You would have taken the your pics around the last small bay on the RHS just before the dam wall. there is plenty of clear water to fish even though the map shows it full of trees back towards T/Creek. It would look alot different now to what the map shows with the water level so low. A few more islands ect, and alot of timber is high and dry.

hope you get on to a few

Staggy

davez104
15-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey staggy, I have caught a few smaller Barra standing on that chunk of tree in his last photo :) :) Looking at the pics makes me wanna pack up and head that way for a fish, maybe when it gets a bit warmer.

Dave.

Foolish_Chicken
15-09-2006, 07:08 PM
maybe I wasn't holding my tongue right :P

staggy
15-09-2006, 07:08 PM
G-day Dave, not sure what the water temp is at the moment. I was planing on wettin a line this wekend but as usual the weather has turned crap just in time to mess up my plans. Oh well next weekend off work will have to do.

Staggy

staggy
15-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey Mike, My tounge got a great sun tan while I was learning to build up my confidence in the sp,s. :P

Staggy

staggy
15-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Dont forget to try Eungella. Its not the lures up there that make ya tounge stick out its the fish :P

Staggy

Foolish_Chicken
15-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Staggy,
That's a nice fish you have there. It was probably blowing 20kn gusting to 30 at times. Would this have something to do with the fish not co-operating? Or maybe the don't play midweek. Looks like I'll have to try the weekend as this will be the last time for a while for me :( . I start work again on tues.
Thanks for the info.

Mike

staggy
16-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Hey Mike, I think water temp has more to do with the lack of activaty then wind. Im one of those lazy barra fishos and only fish for them in the warmer months when the water temp comes up to 25+. You can still catch them in the cooler months and plenty of people catch them year round fishing on any given day. I happen to avoid fishing on a westerly wind because I seem to fish hard for little result. Some people say if its blowing from the SE forget it. Iv caught a number of excellent barra in Kintchant/Eungella/Teemburra on south easterlies. If the fish arnt on the chew where your fishing look for some warmer water up in the bays ect. Try fishing along the bank that the wind is blowing on too. This has worked for me several times at Cania Dam chasing bass.
Trial and error will eventually get you onto some fish. Dont give up if you miss out on the first few trips. Took me some time to work out the fish in Teemburra and just when i thought I had them sussed the buggas changed the rules. So now im back to trial and error.Mind you I didnt fish it as hard as previous years. My favorite dam is Eungella. Usually plenty of sooty action with a ferw barra chucked in for added entertainment.
Have fun.

Staggy

Mak579
16-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Mike, great pics!

I was down at Teemburra a week ago, what an awesome little dam!

I discovered that even though the water temp was warm on the surface it was quite cool a couple of feet below therefore most of the barra were in the shallows or sitting high in the water column.

I found the barra were receptive to all types of lures, hardbody's, SP's (though difficult in hooking up) etc in the timber on the flats and the bays throughout the day and night.

I did downsize my lures as they weren't hooking up on the larger barra lures that I normally use. (Most of the lures I used were less than 11cm) I also downgraded to a 60lb leader as the fish I was catching were in the 60cm-80cm class. Also pulled some thumping sooty's out of the backwaters, biggest sooty's I've ever seen!

There's some wonderful wildlife around the dam, first time I've seen a wild platypus, it really is alive and great to explore!

Cheers
Matt C

Foolish_Chicken
16-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Gday Matt,
Top fish. It looks like you were in the same trees as Staggy. I must've spent an hour in there. Just under 5 hrs on the dam.
quote ''I also downgraded to a 60lb leader". I had a 60lb and thought it was too big, scaring the fish,replaced it with 30lb.

Seems the locals were right. Their stories backed up by everyones reports.

Staggy,
I can't wait for summer. Depending on the weather, if I'm not working I'd like to be on the water salt or fresh. The weather in the last week has had me on the hunt inland though.
It looks like I'll have to upgrade the sounder. Something I've had in mind for a few months. Currently I have an Eagle FishEasy ST model.

Work commitments now will keep me away from the wet stuff for bout 6weeks. :'( :'( :'(

Pic of a few lures I was trying out.

See you on the water,

Mike

Mak579
16-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Mike,

Great selection of lures!

Are they neutrally bouyant? A suspended lure is irresistable to barra.

My leader down grade was based more around allowing me to work the smaller lures a lot better, IMO I don't think barra are too fussy or shy when it comes to leader material.

Bummer to hear you won't be on the water for awhile.

Matt C