PDA

View Full Version : Bugman's first trout journey

bugman
08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Hello team

Forgive me father for I have sinned - this is my first report in over 3 months. I shall strive to do better.

As many of you may know I've moved south - pretty much as south as you can go in Australia - except for Maquarie Island.

I've been really busy in the new store but managed to head out last Thursday to a little dam "Colebrook" - north of Richmond - about 40mins out of Hobart.

Wind was howling so picked a corner of the dam that the wind was blowing into and had stirred up the water to a nasty brown colour. Thought it should hold most of the feed but seeing as everyone else on the shore was on the other side out of the wind i thought I could be in the wrong.

Second cast with the green and gold ashley spinner (gotta have the 3 red dots on the side) had a hook-up at my feet as I was lifting the lure out of the water. It didn't stick. 25 minutes later hooked something solid after only 3 turns of the reel and a lovely brown came screaming out of the water and did plenty of tail walking. The 6lbp fireline was singing of the little Shimano and the new Daiwia rod was under nice curve.

Had to beach land him with no landing net but the lure was well an truly engulfed in his big gob and embedded. Leanne captured most of it on the digital from the next bay. She ran over for the close ups before the fish was succesfully released to terrorise someone else.

Moved further around the lake to the shallows where a little river comes into and floods out into shallow paddocks. Switched to a smaller Ashley spinner in the same colour to stay out of the weed. Had a bump earlier and 10 mins later got thumped by a big browny about 6 foot in front of me which I managed to see as it rolled over on the lure but failed to hook-up solid. The side of the fish as it came out of the water with the splash in the shallow water was quite thrilling without the capture. Pulled the pin 10 mins later.

All up about 1.5 hours fishing which I thought produced quite a good capture rate. Spoke to a few otherswho had walked around from the other (windless) side of the dam who hadn't had a strike.

I think it ill be the first of many.

Brett

bugman
08-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Wading through the water was cold - even in waders

bugman
08-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Reward for effort. Surely others had heard about wind lanes :-/

bugman
08-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Leanne was puffed by the time she ran around (the pregnancy is going well)

bugman
08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
He swam away very healthy

webby
08-09-2006, 06:17 PM
Geez mate your even starting to get the tassie sun tan.
I see the Landy parked in the distance.
Good catch mate, looks something like a nice ?????? your hold there.
Next it'll be the hat full of flies ;D
Give my regard to Leanne and i bet the figure has changed some what ;D
Still hoping to get downf at xmas
regards

jeffo
09-09-2006, 06:59 AM
like a brown,small,no billed,freezing fresh water,land based...billfish :-X

good stuff brett, glad to hear all is going well.
love the close up shot!!

agnes_jack
09-09-2006, 07:16 AM
Nice one Bretto!! :D
Who said ya need local knowledge!! ;D
Gotta say those pics make me cold just looking at em!!
Sandi says "hi" to Leane.

Regards, Tony

bugman
10-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes it was / is cold. We had snow (thick) on the mountain this Thursday.

Jeffo ariel display last all of 20-30 seconds but I'll take what I can get in my current situtation. I was seriously thinking about taping a stick to his nose and releasing him still on the lure just for old times sake. Leanne said I was being silly :'(

Webby If you come at Xmas you's better make it Jan because I'll be working 100+ hours a week in the lead up and then there's this thing called a baby due on the 28th. It's fair to say things are going to be hectic but into Jan I'll be looking to "get away" I think. If I can't go - you know Barry will take you anyway.

Saw the pics of the new shop Tony - there's nothing like being a business owner I've since found out >:(

Brett

Awoonga
10-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Good Fish Brett.....I love the waders.... ;D......Now l want you to sus out all the good spots.... For when l get there.......Cheers Trevor

were-trout
11-09-2006, 06:47 AM
good work Buggy, lovely fish that

but haven't I told you they look better with fur and feathers hanging out of their mouth?

Those waders look like they might have room for the wee one tucked in the front ...

Big_Ren
11-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Well done Brett. Geez you even look cold :o

Liked the action shot. Are you coming back to fish the Shootout in October? I think Brooksy is keener than ever to get Ymer out and about again.

Cheers
Paul

bugman
11-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Trev,

Got a pair ready and waitin for you mate - don't worry ;)

Paul - September is out but hopefully there's one trip before Xmas.

Were - Feathers are coming ;)

craigie
14-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Nice Trout Buggy !! No crowds either 8-)
Go to see the "Fraser Island" Waders still get a work out, no doubt more crucial in the harsh southern environment compared to the warm tropical wide bay waters ::)

Not trying to hijack your post, but it is important to keep you informed on fishing activity in your second home.
A mega Spanish caught last weekend !!

fubarfish5
20-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Whats all this about bein cold in Tassy #:-?
This is the mildest winter we have had for years so watch out when we get a cold one.
Freeze the blood in ya viens lads.
I went up to Arthurs Lake on opening day last year only to see a swan standing on top of the water looking very miserable in the middle of the bay I wanted to fish in.
We ended up goin around to deeper water but still had to break the ice as we waded out into the water to get to the edge of it.
I could not stand the cold on my legs as I only had standard waders but my mate fished for a couple of hrs with neoprenes and thermal undies on.
He had to keep puttin the runners of the fly rod in his mouth to stop the ice building up on them.
Coldest day I have ever fished and never again.
The only bite we got was frost bite.
So look out Brissy boys if ya think its cold now just wait till we get a nasty winter ;D ;D
The old saying is true if ya dont like the weather in Tas just wait 5 min.
It was a nice night out there 30 min ago, I was thinkin about goin out to chase a night sea run Trout or two.
Its now bucketing down so I think I will just tie a couple of flies ready for warmer weather.
Anyway bugman nice fish and well done nailing one from the bank they have been hard of late around the shore.
There are some very large Browns 10- 15 pound plus in that little lake and of course the trophy Atlantic Salmon and Rainbows that they stock it with every now and then so keep your ear to the ground mate. #
This is a nice rainbow of 5lb from our last visit.
Shame about the algea in the lake as it will mess up the fishin if we dont get a good burst of rain to flush it out.
Anyway welcome to Tas and I hope it doesnt take to long to aclimatise to the weather.

Talk soon

Jamie #

JB
21-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Nice Trout Buggy !! No crowds either #8-)

A mega Spanish caught last weekend !!

Hahahaha, Fantastic fish Cragie... nice way to rub it in LOL

oh yeah.. top trout too Buggy :P ;)