PDA

View Full Version : Monduran 17/09/2006

darryl_l
17-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Heard some varying reports about Monduran so I thought I would slip up and look for myself. This one was caught in 25ft of water at 20.2 C the warmest water I found was 23.5 C and others I talked to at the dam said they had been hooking quite a few but not getting many to the boat.

Darryl L

seajay39
17-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Great work Darryl ;)

Have you got a pic of the bass your deckie got?

darryl_l
17-09-2006, 06:40 PM
No seajay39,

The barra pic was taken on my camera and his bass pics were taken on his camera so hopefully Rob will post them on here.

Darryl L

scoocer101
17-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Great barra there mate. Looks very healthy. Might i ask what u caught him on? I'm heading to Monduran on the September holidays.

regards scoocer101

setthehook
17-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Whats this decky talk??? :-?

here is a pic of my 1.9kg bass.......Doh!! Next trip ill chase bass and land a barra!!

darryl_l
17-09-2006, 06:57 PM
scoocer101,

classic barra 10ft model in orange. The same lure is close to twenty barra so far so might have to retire it soon 8-)

hey setthehook,

I can hardly call you a deckie you never got the shoes off once during the whole trip either putting the boat in or retrieveing it ;D ;D

Darryl L

setthehook
17-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Mate the water looked cold and you had no shoes on so........ :D

Big_Ren
17-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Looks a well-conditioned fish Darryl. Well done mate. Did you get far up the system?

Cheers
Paul

blue-mako
17-09-2006, 07:18 PM
That Bass must have been hungry!

Troy

darryl_l
17-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Big_Ren,

Travelled up about two miles past white rock to find the warmest water but didn't catch anything in that neck of the woods.

I was more interested in running the new motor in so we travelled up to white and back to the main basin area about five times ;D
Couldn't let the deckie have too much of a chance at catching a barra

Darryl L

mylestom
17-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Good fish and keep the reports coming in.

Only a couple of weeks left to go, then let me at them

Trev

Smailesy
18-09-2006, 07:45 AM
great fish

themisses
19-09-2006, 10:19 AM
We have just booked 4 days up there next week. :) Neither of us have ever been barra fishing, so we are really looking foward to it. A trip to the tackle shop has been mentioned, to stock up!! Any hints?? ;). Hope we have half the luck you guys had. That is a awsome bass!! Cheers Kim.

Any one else heading up?? We will camping with dark blue forrester and a white 4.55 poly "Reel Fun", come and say hi. Any tips/hints would be great too. ;)
5 sleeps to go!!

black_sheep
19-09-2006, 12:49 PM
the missus,

The main thing with Monduran is to not spend too much time looking for the warmest water. Now that the temps are up again, you will find fish all over the dam - not necessarily the warmest bays.

Look for structure that looks different and try to find the right lantana. it's not hard to find lantana in this dam but depending on water levels, some could be thick but most of the branches are high and dry well above water line - no good. Find the lantana that looks like most of the branches are sunken or just below the surface.

Oh - hang on cause if they a bit slow to chew, you can be guaranteed they will hit when you least expecting it. Surprising how much power even a 60+cm barra can have.

Good luck.

BTW - most of your reputable lures will work fine and gold seems to be the go at most dams (definitely Monduran). My favourite is a gold and black viper (deep).

themisses
19-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Cheers Black Sheep,
Does the size of the lure matter?? As in salt, big bait equals big fish, or do the hit anything?
I don't mind getting wet so long as I land the bugger. And if the rod goes you can guarantee I'll be thrown in after it!! ;D ;D

Do you use slick rigs? I have heard the boss talking about them. I think I had better supervise this visit to the tackle shop, the list is growing longer by the hour, but good strong trebles are at the top.
Thanks for you help!!
Cheers Kim :)

mylestom
19-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Re slick rigs can get some info of the chat threads on it.

Jas has given some good info from Awoonga, not much different to Mounduran. Except for a bit more timber.

Everyone has their favourite lures, find something that will suit the depth that you are going to fish.

Casting 1-3 metres Bombers, Predatek Sandvipers or whatever you have.
Soft Plastic - Slick rigs etc any colour Drop Bear, Black Gold, Technicolour Yawn, Neon then True Blue. My order of preference only.

Trolling 3-8 metre lures inclues Barra Bait, Classic Barra, RMG Scorpion 150 xdd Crazy Deep, Predatek Viper.

Colours are a personal choice but if I had to buy one only of a type and was going to utilise on different impoundments, would probably go a Elton John (Technicolour).

Main ingredients is a Gps and Sounder up in the timber. Recommend 50lb braid and 60-80lb leader.

Upgrade hooks to min 3x, but we go 6xVMC or 4 x Owner with Halco 4xx or 6xx Fish Rings. Again personal choice and experience.

Don't forget your bass outfits or lures.

Talking to Kelly today, things been a bit quiet for a few days, but will pick up again with the warmer weather.

Can't wait till the end of the month.

Good luck with your fishing, hope your first barra is a good one.

Regards

Trev

themisses
19-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks Trev!!
We have got the braid/leader all sorted. And not doubt we will come home with a lure/SP in ever colour/size to cover all bases. Bloody long way to go and come home empty handed. :(
Is there any point fishing from the bank for a bit of a change? We don't mind going for a wonder and a bit of a flick. or is it best to boat it?
Thanks for all you help guys!! Maybe I can teach the boss a thing or two. ;) It's about time I started to get into the technical side of things.
Cheers Kim.

Trev we may catch u up there. :-?

darryl_l
19-09-2006, 06:41 PM
themissus,

some of the best fishing can be done from the bank as you have a much better stalth mode when coming in to a bay just make sure you have comfortable shoes as there are a lot of ground prickles in places.

when travelling around just keep your eye on the sounder to see active arches and keep an eye out for birds feeding as it is always a dead give away as to where the active fish are.

hope you do well and make sure you post some pics of the ones you catch.

Darryl L

seajay39
19-09-2006, 08:15 PM
This is always a good sign ;D

mylestom
20-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Great photo seajay, that whats fishing is all about.

Kim,

Catch up with u there.

Have to go do some more tackle shopping today, for the Guyra crowd. Might just find something else to try out. Two weeks might not be enough time to try all the gear out. But what the heck, we will give it a go.

Don't do much bank fishing myself, but a bit restricted with the legs so mainly stick to the boat.
Find that I can get it into some real skinny water.

Watch, observe and listen as we are all still on the big learning curve.

Trev

darryl_l
20-09-2006, 03:28 PM
One of our local fishing club members saw this report and couldn't help himself so went up Tuesday 19.09.2006 with this result.

The smile says it all.

Darryl L

themisses
20-09-2006, 04:09 PM
I have that background firmly imprinted on my brain. I can only dream ::) ::)
Thanks heaps for all the help and info guys!! With all this helpl I don't dare come home without a fish. :D Don't even care if it legal so long as its a barra!! (oh and bigger that the captains ;D) Are they any good to eat, we have heard that impoundment fish can get a bit muddy?? Planning to do a trip for tackle on Sat arvo. Can't wait!! 4 days in the fresh then over to Harvey Bay for 3 day of salt. Does it get any better, why would you live anywhere else?? That photo of the lake is awsome!! There will be lots of snaps taken ;)
Cheers for all the help again guys!!
Kim.

P.S. Sorry for Hi-Jacking your thread Darryl.. :D

outrigger
20-09-2006, 07:44 PM
kim there is a great snag of sunken logs in the centre of the main basin towards the eastern end.
Well worth a run past

Regards Paul

darryl_l
20-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Kim,

Don't be sorry, if you have Q's you ask them that is how we learn. As for the taste of fresh water barra I would personally put it up there with regurjitated dog vomit but that is because I can get a feed of salt water fish almost any time I want.

Hope you do well but this weekend I am heading up to Turkey Beach to check out the salt on Sat-Sun may head out to the dam on Mon or Tue depending on weather but more likely to be heading out the other side of Fraser Is for a few days. If I get out to the Dam I will keep an eye out for you.

Darryl L

themisses
21-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Cheers Guys!!
It is getting very hard to sleep at the moment, I keep tell the captain I'm trying not to get my hopes up. :P
Hope to see you there Darryl. We are leaving the dam on Thursday Morn.
Trust me, you'll hear me when I catch one, no matter what size!! :)

Will check out that snag thanks Paul. Need all thae help I can get.

3 sleeps to go!!All be it broken sleeps and dreams of barra!! :D

Kim.

ele-phrez
21-09-2006, 05:36 PM
great pics, hope to be taking my own pics this summer.

setthehook
21-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Hey Darryl i bought a new lure today!! What do you think of my new weapon ;D ;D ;D

darryl_l
21-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah onya setthehook,

LET EVERYONE IN ON THE SECRET

lol now all ya need to do is get back up there and amongst them

Darryl L

setthehook
21-09-2006, 10:42 PM
yeh then they will want blue ones :(

mylestom
26-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Has anyone got the latest from Monduran, heading up after the weekend.

Have all the gear, Camper, trailer and boat packed.

Just sitting around this week, going over fishing gear and old Gps marks.

Been over to the tackle shop three times in three days and have to do one last trip this week to get some gear for the mates who will be going up on Friday.

Up to date report would be good Brett.

Thank you

Trev

timbacutta
26-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I've got some of them orange things too. ;D ;D ;D Nice fish to christen the new boat with Darryl. Excellent bass too, big lures catch the big fish.
Hope you get some fish this week.

Jeff.

eotbmg
27-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Trev.
Did two trips over the last two weekends and the biggest was 87 cm. Got smashed plenty of times also. This barra went like a freight train. We spent alot of time looking for warm water where we should have been fishing.
Cheers
Ben