PDA

View Full Version : Callide Dam Barra GO OFF

Toppy
21-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi guys, I just had a quick fishing trip tied in with work in the Monto area.
On monday arvo & Tuesday morning I was able to bang a few lures around the shallows of Callide Dam.
As luck would have it the wind arrived the second I pushed the boat from the bank. (gotta luv that,not!)

The 15kn SE/NE was just enough to make it awkard in the little crawdad punt with the electric motor. I was forced to fish the wall end of the dam fishing the windy points & sheltered bays.

I flogged the area with plastics & hard bodies both trolled & cast, with no luck.
I was kept interested with the occasional bump & tap but by 9pm I called it a day & crashed in the ute for a few hours.

I woke pre dawn & pushed the punt back out for another crack in hope of a fish but my enthusiasm was a little sluggish!
The air temp was still chilley & it took will power to get out of the truck, mmmm a nice warm bed or cold duey grass & mud ;D

I braved it & was rewarded with still glassy conditions.
The wind had fallen out over night & there was surface action all over the dam.
Mostly bonny bream & shaggs disturbing an otherwise perfect reflection of the dry landscape.

The birds feeding & lack of wind gave hope on my final few hours of this adventure. As I watched the sounder for concerntrations of fish & water temps I trolled a Red & White Viper across the dam towards the Northern bank.

The sounder indicated a rise in temperature from 20 to 20.5degrees & within moments of thinking that was promissing I was on.

The rod bucked & braid crackled through guides out into the middle of the dam. Its almost snag free this place so you can fish lighter braid & enjoy the fight with less drag pressure.
(a rule of thumb only) ;)

A boil from the fishes tail indicated it was net time, one final pump of the rod & the barra was in the net beside the boat. This fish looked about 26lbs. wooohoo... :) :) happy happy joy joy!

I released the fish and noticed some action just a short distance away. A slick rig was on the end of my other rod so I grabbed it & lobbed in a cast. As the lure sank down it was hit twice but the slack line prevented a hookup.
Two more casts this time keeping the line tight as it sank & WACK..... I was on again. This fish felt a little better, putting more of a bend in the rod & holding its ground.
Staying out wide it thrashed on the surface but no jump. :'(
none the less I was a very happy chappy. lifting this fish in the boat put an even bigger smile on my face but seeing the big girl swim off was iceing on the cake.

There was only one thing missing from this day, a good mate to share the moment with.
Maybe next time!
Cheers
Toppy

Toppy
21-09-2006, 04:02 PM
2nd pic

Toppy
21-09-2006, 04:03 PM
3rd pic

Toppy
21-09-2006, 04:07 PM
4th pic

Toppy
21-09-2006, 04:09 PM
5th pic Crawdad

Roo
21-09-2006, 04:22 PM
[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif] toppy.

whats going on in the 3rd pic??? is that prop wash or something else :-?

thats a sweet fishing rig too. I was working hard on themissus to get that rig when tony_m was selling it. Looks like your putting it to great use.

Cheers, Roo

themisses
21-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I want a tuff tender!! Great fish bet it was worth braving the cold. :)
Cheers Kim.

ele-phrez
21-09-2006, 05:27 PM
what barra you lucky bastard ;D ;D ;D

mylestom
21-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Good fish well done.

Interesting that both caught of different type of lures.

Both same colour.

Nice to see dam firing. Goes to show, don't give up after a quite day. A good fish is always around the corner.

Trev

Toppy
21-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Roo thats bubbles from the 100 foot airator, I,m not sure if it only works when they pump water from Awoonga to Callide or if its just to keep the water quality healthy. Looked cool so I snapped of a shot.

Yep that was the maiden voyage in the mighty crawdad, sorry you missed out Roo, but thanks Tony she,s a weapon!

"Beaver with attitude", very clever Kim I like it!
It was worth it & I'm still smiling :)

Trev, too true mate! I guess thats what keeps us fishing on those tuff days.
Cheers
Toppy

bomber202
21-09-2006, 07:56 PM
That Bubbler is really worth a fish the fish tend to hang close to it at times and I know of one fisho who ended catching 7 barra from the bubbler in just over an hour.

regards,

THE BOMBER

Tropicaltrout
21-09-2006, 08:24 PM
good work mate is there still enough water in the dam or is it really low I am busting to get up there.
cheers TT

Toppy
21-09-2006, 08:51 PM
TT there is about 12mtrs of water in places around the wall end & averages 4-6mtrs. Up around the quarry its a bit shallow so be carefull of underwater logs etc.... Its worth the stop over, my guess is 2-3 days there max would be my limit. It would be a great dam if they had rain & it filled up giving you more areas to poke around.
Good luck if you get up there, get in before the summer crowds & the water gets too warm with the low water!
cheers
Toppy

Smailesy
22-09-2006, 07:04 AM
great read mate

blue-mako
22-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Nice Barra mate. Hopefully I can nail 1 or 50 at Awoonga in Mid-November.

Troy

Tropicaltrout
22-09-2006, 06:58 PM
cheers toppy might go in a couple of weeks then thanks mate
TT

Toppy
22-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Good on ya guys, hope you get a heap of fish when you go!
Cheers
Toppy

flickflack
22-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Excellent pics for a solo effort Paul, ;) ;)

Any one of those fish would have made the trip up there worth it. MMM One day ::)

Cheers Rod

Toppy
23-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks mate I hope I am there to see it happen, I'll check that there is film in the camera this time! :-[ unlike that first Jack way back when.
Toppy

Franco
23-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Awesome photo's Mate!! That first one is magic.

Glad you got onto a few. Do you actually work or what? Anyway ...... what the hell are you doin chasin barra when you should be out there sloggin it away with the flatties and taking one for the team!!

I want both you and Lynchie in the nets practising so that your eye is in for the real game out on the field!! I had Lynchie out training in the Coombabah nets the other day ...... He was bowling way too many No-balls and Wide's but we got him sorted!! Ha Ha ;D ;) He seemed to like the part where He rubs the lure on His groin just before the delivery!!

PS hope you've ditched that 5 lb leader mate!! It's not allowed on the captains ship!!

Well done mate. PS how did you get those photos??

agnes_jack
23-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Nice work Toppy!!

Top fish

Regards, Tony ;)

Toppy
23-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Franco, you can bet I'll be in the nets every second I get. ;)
I started today with a morning session at J/W, go to grid ref G5 map88 in the B to B. Brained them on pink/white gulps 1hr solid fish after fish. Most where under a 1mtr tho, sorry I'll try to lift my game for the team! ;)

I noticed Lynchie doing that the other day, gotta say it started to worry me when he pursed his lips & rolled his eyes each time he did it ;D ;D

About the photo, lets just say its all done with mirrors!
cheers
Toppy

mistress_T
24-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi Toppy,

Nice fish- we will be fishing Callide this Wed/ Thursday as part of flathead training- Cania first, then callide, then Awoonga then Flathead Classic- this worked last year. nice fish- callide is a great dam for that little boat. How low was the water?

Greenie

BlitzBaga
30-09-2006, 08:20 PM
You always were the lucky one Toppy. Good fish mate.

TonyM
30-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Woohoo way to go Toppy! :)

How cool to see the mighty little crawdad still delivering the goods. She's a fun little boat isn't it! 8-)

Toppy
01-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Blitz Bagga, what do you mean lucky ;)
I like to think I'm just deserving! ;D ;D

Tony M, hey mate thanks for selling it to me.
It was worth the wait & the drive from Currumbin to Hervey Bay to get it.
I'm a happy customer :)
Cheers
Toppy

BlitzBaga
01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
He Toppy, if that's the case I am going with you next time ;)