PDA

View Full Version : Somerset - What is doing?

budgebass
29-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Gidday Everyone

What is doing at Somerset? Are the fish still on?

Has anybody fished at night time on Somerset trolling lures?

Practice works well at Maroon I was wondering what it was like at Somerset?

Any info would be good

Cheers
Budgebass

Poseidon
30-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Was up there 2 Saturdays ago, the weather was poor my son landed 1 nice bass on an ice jig.

Last Saturday the weather fine, trolled, flicked, trolled, flicked for about 3 hrs for nothing.

Today, weather perfect, water temp around 23.7 degrees, trolled, flicked, trolled and flicked again for nothing. Nearly run over by a boat towing 2 tubes in the Kirkleigh 6 knot zone, thinking that it was just skiers......a fishing boat that clearly looked as though he should know the speed limit flew by, where is the ranger when you need him.

The bass schools that were there around a month ago seem to have disappeared, would also be interested in knowing if anyone has done any good over the last few weeks.

Regards Cameron.

bob69xw
02-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi budgebass

Went to somerset yesterday (01.10.06) and fished for about 4hrs and got nothing. trolled, jigged and some more trolling and nothing. Got there late tho, was there at about 8.30am and left at about12.30.

NormC
02-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I was up there for a few days about 2 weeks ago. I got nothing for the first few days, mostly casting around structure (my preferred fishing method). Some others were getting a few fish, but I came across 2 people / groups who were getting amoung them in a serious way.

The first was using live shrimp and fishing the deep holes, using a sounder to identify the best spots.

The second was using a variety of rattlers and was slowly rolling some selected areas along and just off the main channel. He had cought a couple of Bass, a couple of Silver Perch and a bag of Yellow Belly. He said he had cought about 30 in the session. The ones he had kept were beauties.

I bought a Jackall rattler from the Kiosk (cost $28!!!!!) and tried the second method. Got a couple of nice bass, which was good and saved the trip. I still find trolling boreing, but I'd rather that than fish for 4 days and not catch anything.

By the way, I went fishing in the lower Coomera when I got home and lost that expensive Jackall. Think it was to a big flattie. So if you catch one with a Jackall in it, it's mine.