PDA

View Full Version : River Bass

Archer
17-09-2006, 06:58 PM
With such a lovely afternoon I decided to grab the flick sticks and camera and go for abit of a walk along my local stretch of water. 2 Minutes in the car had me on foot and casting the little T -Curve and TN50 at the opposite bank. Five casts in and im smacked good and hard by a decent fish, reel screaming in pain as the 8lb rolled off the reel. A few minutes later and I slid a lovely Wild river Bass onto the bank for a few quick photos before sliding her back to the murky green depths.
A few more casts and abit of a bump...Hrmmm that log wasn’t there prior to the rain. Damn there goes $25.00 bucks.... :'(
Grab the Raider rigged with 4lb and a small Atomic Grub. Feeling a little disappointed in losing the TN50 and having never caught a River Bass on placcies I wasn't too hopeful of any more action but persisted none the less.
After flogging the placcie for the next 5 minutes over the same pool of water I moved along to the next section of the hole. A tight section with allot of structure and over hanging branches. Flicking the SP right up hard under the trees and working it out with a fast jerking action.
Only taking another 6 casts to produce a good touch and the following cast im hooked up solid again. Again the small Shimano is screaming in pain as the 4lb disappears of the spool at a great rate of knots. Thinking to myself is there even enough water for this fish to pull that much line off.... With abit of luck and some rod work I have the fish slowly working back towards me 2 minutes later and she's at my feet. A quick lift out of the water for a few pics and she’s free swimming again.
What a way to spend an hour on a lovely Sunday afternoon.

43cm (my Biggest wild caught to date! :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Archer/Bass1.jpg

40cm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Archer/Bass2.jpg

40cm close up
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Archer/bass2closeup.jpg

Fishin_Dan
17-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Nice work Joe! :D

Wonder when I have to go to Lismore for work again ;)

Roo
18-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Nice bass joe. I'll have to put up a report on the massive bass i caught yesterday down in ballina shire :o :o ;D. fish and lure both fitted in my hand :P ;D ;D

Bad news about the lure loss. They don't mind a placcie but the presentation needs to be slow. not unlike bream fishing i imagine. You'll see what i mean tommorrow when i remember to bring my camera.

cheers, roo.

Matthias
18-09-2006, 11:53 AM
I would've went swimmin for that jackal. Where were you fishing exactly?..maybe I can retieve your lure for you. ;)

Nice fish mate. Those atomic grubs work well on the bass.

Pete.

Canoedle
18-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Good stuff mate, we'll have to have another go at that next time I'm down. ;)

whykickacatalong
18-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Dont bother. I went down there this arvo and he musta caught the only 2 fish in there ;)

There is now a good spinner bait on the other side of the river though. That stretch is collecting some tackle ;D

Archer
19-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys was good to get a couple thats for sure. ;)

Herby13
19-09-2006, 09:55 AM
well done mate.

Canoedle
19-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Dont bother. I went down there this arvo and he musta caught the only 2 fish in there ;)

There is now a good spinner bait on the other side of the river though. That stretch is collecting some tackle ;D
lol I left a bit down there last few times I was there too mate, some thumpers in those snags I assure you!

Archer
19-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Im going to get one of those fish one day Karl....One day. If i could just get it to take something another 50cm out from those snags ::)
Might go down again this arvo for an hour. ;)

Roo
19-09-2006, 12:04 PM
......and make another donation ;)

themisses
19-09-2006, 12:10 PM
At least he's not catching livies honey. ;D ;D ;D

Archer
19-09-2006, 12:18 PM
;D ;D Good Call themissues ;D

Canoedle
19-09-2006, 12:57 PM
;D

Roo
19-09-2006, 05:14 PM
that's harsh :'(

Archer
20-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Got another 40cm Bass this evening on Surface lures...Im loving this Bass fishing thing. So handy to home and boy do they go hard! :o
Have to thank Alistair for being such a great teacher. So good he hasnt caught one himself this season yet.... ;D ;D

hardb8
20-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Congrats on ya P.B. Bass m8,That's a great fish for a wildy.

Cheers hardb8 ;)

Canoedle
20-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Cheeky bugga, told you the surface lures would be good fun. :P

themisses
21-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Nothing beats see them nail the lure. :)

Well done!! They are such great fun to catch.
Will give you a hoy when we are down next, you can teach Rod how to upgrade from livies!! ;D ;D (sorry honey) I have my car today, don't have to worry about walking home. :-*

Cheers Kim. :)

whykickacatalong
21-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Have to thank Alistair for being such a great teacher. So good he hasnt caught one himself this season yet.... ;D ;D

Yeh yeh :-[ As I said last night, I will have to start asking questions to you on how to catch them ;)

Thats alright, once I have perfected the new prototype lure i had they will be coming in hand over fist ;D

ele-phrez
21-09-2006, 05:33 PM
go the surface fishing in rivers, less lost tackle. I'm for ever loosing lures in the river trying to get hard up in those good snags.

whykickacatalong
21-09-2006, 08:37 PM
It's not all bad. A quick lunch time stop over on the upper Tweed area saw 6 bass landed in 45 mins with a heap more hitting the surface popper prototype that just would not find the hooks, back to the drawing board.

whykickacatalong
21-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Not big but fiesty ;)

Archer
21-09-2006, 08:45 PM
And he's on the board.... :P
Nice fish mate you did better than i did today big fat 0 :'(.
Beginners luck must be wearing off. :-/

Roo
22-09-2006, 10:11 AM
have alook at the tail on them. there's clue as to why they go so hard :D
gotta love the wild bass hey [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

When do we get a look at the prototype?? :)

Have you seen the latest fishing world mag?

Lemmy see ;D ;D

cheers, roo.

whykickacatalong
22-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Yep, FishingWorld Mag is where it is from.

Used a fly hook but I think it is too small. It was a quick 2min job putting it together and I thing that the foam needs to be perfect to run straight without spinning. Saying that it does put out a nice little "bloop". I am going to take some time and carve the foam better and will play around with either a hook with lead on the shank or crimping a split shot on it for more weight and a bigger hook or maybe a long shank. The place I was at yesterday would be perfect to test a few different ideas as there are so many Bass just schooling in the pool. Great to watch them eyeball the lure before taking a swipe at it ;)

Roo
04-10-2006, 02:48 PM
;D ;D I'd bought the mag that day and only quickly scanned through it( didn't read the article, just a sticky beak at the pics). When i got home that night i knocked one up myself before i'd even read the text ;D ;D ;D. I used a piece of polystyrene foam and shaped it with a nail file (err sorry missus). oh and after reading the article i'll have another go at it. The long shank is a good idea, those bass have a massive gob and are'nt shy about using it ;)

cheers, roo.