PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Report 16/9 - 23/9

RayB
25-09-2006, 04:06 PM
After purchasing my new boat in April, one of the first actions was to book a weeks fishing at Awoonga. With so many reports coming through I guess it was a must visit location and probably my best chance to catch my first Barra.

I spent all of last week at Awoonga and it was certainly a terrific place to visit. I stayed at the Awoonga Caravan Park which was very enjoyable and 'NO' they didn't stuff up my booking.

No bites for the first few days, mostly trolling with the family with a few casting sessions thrown in. My parents arrived on Tuesday which was my queue to take the fishing seriously. I had sounded out a likely trolling run for that evening the plan was set. We started trolling just on sunset and 15 mins later my reel starts peeling line likes theres no tomorrow and I have a big barra on. It jumped 3 times and I got a good look at a metre plus barra that moved amongst some sticks near the bank. After about 5 mins my line goes limp and the fish is lost with the leader snapped (60lb). We setup for the next run and 2 mins later shouts of 'I'm on!' and we quickly move away from the bank (lesson learnt) and land a beautiful barra of 1.11m and 18.3kg.

RayB
25-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Report Cont'd

We decided to call it a night and replicate the process the next day but you guessed it, no luck. We tried casting during the day and trolling at night.

My brother arrived on Thursday for a couple of days of serious fishing and we cast all that day and try a little trolling at night. Still no luck and a change of plans was required. We decided to getup at 4am and try a pre-dawn fish casting the shallow bays at the mouth of the New Zealand bay. After the sun has just come up my brother shouts 'I'm on!' and lands a 94cm barra that gives us quite a fight. The barra still had plenty of fight left when we released him and gave my brother a drenching.

That was the end of barra for the week and although we didn't catch many it was still a memorable week and I will definetly be back

cheers
Raymond

T-roy
25-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Great fish mate, worth the effort

fsh00
25-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Good onya ray,some nice fish there,how'd you go with you're motor/prop?????

BR65
25-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Great report and excellant piccys there Ray.
Interesting to here you had no dramas at the park, was it very crowded?
Ive booked at Bernarby this time.
If you dont mind shareing, what depths on the trolling run?
cheers
Brian

ele-phrez
25-09-2006, 09:36 PM
congrats mate well done

mylestom
26-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Congratulations on the fish, good phots and a good report.

They will do that to a light leader a lot of the time.

tREV

Big_Ren
26-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Some nice fish Raymond. Black Sheep (Navi), his brother Vin, another mate and I will be up there next week mixing it up between trolling, casting in the sticks and slow rolling slick rigs.

Cheers
Paul

RayB
26-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Good onya ray,some nice fish there,how'd you go with you're motor/prop?????

Interesting results on the prop! I installed a 12 pitch solas prop, replacing the 13 pitch mercury prop and my top revs at WOT actually went down and not up!!!! Very confused! I think the solas prop performed better and also obtained higher end speed but the results go against eveything I read about prop sizes. I will get in contact with Solas to talk about the results.

cheers
Raymond

RayB
26-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Great report and excellant piccys there Ray.
Interesting to here you had no dramas at the park, was it very crowded?
Ive booked at Bernarby this time.
If you dont mind shareing, what depths on the trolling run?
cheers
Brian

The park was quite crowded but definetly not 100% full. We were trolling quite close to the bank in about 6-8M of water running deep diving lures. We also tried trolling in the open basin but there were very few active fish higher in the water column.

Hope this helps!
Raymond

agnes_jack
26-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Nice fish there Ray, well done!!
Good way to break in the new boat !! :D

Regards, Tony

barradise
26-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Another CLASSIC catch at Awoonga, well done.

John.

Smailesy
03-10-2006, 06:03 PM
great fish mate very nice

caught-ya
03-10-2006, 08:36 PM
nice catch :D ;D

cheers,

kilo11
04-10-2006, 07:13 AM
nice fish gotta couple my self on the weekend

Fisher4life
04-10-2006, 01:21 PM
even just 2 barra like that would make a trip to Awoonga worth while.

I too will be soon booking a trip up to Awoonga to try my luck at loosing my barra vriginity

RayB
05-10-2006, 05:58 PM
even just 2 barra like that would make a trip to Awoonga worth while.

I too will be soon booking a trip up to Awoonga to try my luck at loosing my barra vriginity

You are right about getting a big one which makes the trip worthwhile! Good luck with your trip!

cheers
Raymond