PDA

View Full Version : Prawnstar Lures

Jason_L
07-09-2001, 06:12 PM
I was just woindering if anyone had tried using these lures.
I bought a Prawnstar Junior today, 1 pink and 1 natural. i can't wait to give them a go. but i was wondering if anyone had any tricks or if they found that they snag easilly.
What's peoples success rate with them?

Thanks...

Brett_Finger
08-09-2001, 01:04 PM
Jason,
mate the junior prawn star is sweet!!
i have fished these for a number of mounths now and have found them to be very reliable when chaseing fish!!
species that i have taken on the include, Barra, Jacks, bream,Flathead,Archerfish,Fingermark to name a few!!

when fishing the lure i like to have the drag backed off so when you flick the prawn into the BACK of the snag/structure feed the line off the reel until you feel the Prawn hit the bottom, then flick the rod tip up a foot os so and allow the prawn to drop back down,do this a few times the work the prawn out though the tree lifting it over different branches then lettin it down again
,the reason the drag is feed off the reel is simple, many,many times the lure has been nailed on the drop and a free spooled reel is subject to over run whn Jack nails the prawn and heads for home ;D
this methord of fishing the prawn ahs been dubed "Tea-Bag" for obvious reasons :P
personally i go up in trebbles,one size.this will not affect the snag free fishing enjoyed from fishing tis great new invention ;)
Hope this is of some help.
hookin, Brett Finger. (The Big fella)

Muzzy
08-09-2001, 11:08 PM
As finger said they are pretty snag proof. I have only landed threadfin salmon on them so far but am yet to really give them a real good caining.

I found from looking at them in the water a lure presented on a mono line rather than braid looks better. Braid can be used but in my opinion you need to add a mono leader twice as long as you normally do to try and get some of the bounce mono gives rather than the no strech rip through the water braid offers.

I'm chomping at the bit for the floods to start and a bit off runn off as I reckon the star will kick but on the south aligator culvert.

Muz ;D

Jason_L
21-09-2001, 09:06 PM
I'm using 40lb yellow line as a leader. is that too thick?
Also the instructions say that u can take both of the weights out of the lure and u can use it as a prawn skimming along the surface of the water. I've found that the prawn runs upside down.... Is that because of the 40lb leader or just the lure in general.. cuz it's too light?

Also have people used this lure in rocky areas.. I'm too frightened to as too much gear gets lost in this particular part.

Brett_Finger
30-09-2001, 02:21 AM
Jason,
mate sorry takeing so long to get back to you on this,have had my tail in grear flat out...
for leaders i use Harro's knotted dogs,but take the clip off and attach the leader first.then pass it through the prawn like normal and simply tie the thing off to the end trebble,use the tropical cast in the dogs.
leave at least one weight in the lure as this will help centre the lure.just up the retrive speed when working the surface and things will be cool 8)
i reguard to working rock bars ,get into it!! you won't get fish if ya not fishing ... the prawn is realtively snag proof even i have trouble getting the thing snaged ;D
Hookin, Brett!!

barrajack#1
16-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I have fished with prawnstars for a little while now and have nailed some snodger jacks,cod,flathead etc. i have found the junior honeypot to be the best, take one weight out and up size the front treble

the gecko
17-05-2007, 12:14 PM
http://prawnstar.com.au/
has heaps of good info.

Andrew

slyman
17-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Yeah have used the honeypot junior, but I'm pretty good at losing them to snags. The last issue of fishing monthly has an article on modifying them, changing the trebles to a different type that will have all 3 barbs outside the body, which apparently reduces snagging. They also put a lumo bead between the tail and body trebles, making it look like its got an egg sac. Going to have buy more of these.

simon