PDA

View Full Version : Morten Bay hot spots

adrian
07-10-2001, 03:39 PM
my luck seems bad i have a 16 ft quintrex bay hunter with 40 evinrude #with 65 lt tank based at manly boat harbour . can someone put me in the general area to catch a feed 6/10 trips ?? i'm not looking for your secret spots just some ideas and general tips to improve my chances when out on the bay . tangalooma is as far as i've been north and is about the range i'm wiiling to travel as getting back the tank has about 10 ltrs left . also feel free to add spots for us all to try in the morten bay area

aquarius
07-10-2001, 05:38 PM
Anzac if you are after a feed of squire try the 5 meter drop of to the right of the leads at wellington point.....head up towards ormiston point and look for a vertical shelf that drops away to around a depth of 5 meters.....take some berly with you to atract the squire to the area......Baits i use are half pillys and whole small squid on a 2 gang rig (no: 2 gang hooks..swivel...small pea sinker on top of the hook)
GOOD LUCK.
PS . CHOOSE THE SMALLER HIGH TIDES

adrian
09-10-2001, 02:36 PM
thanks I'll try that one next time I get half a chance . now can some one tell at what depth harrys reef is ? as Ive found the general area and the boats are in water from 5 to 13 meters of water . and what is down there ?

webby
09-10-2001, 03:01 PM
if your going to harrys dont sit right on top(theres not much
left there now a couple of bump on the old sounder). get
your self a gps point for harrys and then head north, approx
150m , drift along this line from near rous ch entrance.
or you can bottom fish anchored, need to be in 15m +
as in all parts of the bay, current runs hard,
also try the oyster leases near wallen wallen banks
in rainbow ch, drift along or anchor close, mite be supprised
at wat you will find in this channel, sweetie , parrot and
mackeral coming on..if you need some gps point give me
call on private msg site on ausfish, regards

adrian
29-11-2001, 04:20 PM
thanks for that

tried green island on a test run of replacement steering gear
i have found that all the squire are under size !! is there a way to get the bigger ones if they are in the area or is a move needed?????

Lucky_Phill
30-11-2001, 02:22 PM
Well I've had a great deal of success out St Helena way inthe winter, for Bream. And as a result of by catch, some good size squire have come aboard. Head between St helena and Green and turn left at the last Red. Head onto the shallows and observe the bottom, don't be afraid to run into 3ft of water. find a place with little current, and anchor so that you could cast onto the rocks. The Bream usually don't get going til after dark, but they can turn on the action for hours. Chicken gut is by far the best and strips of tailor fillet is better for the bigger class of Bream. throw a pillie inot the deep for the squire. Keep trying the area, especially after work mid week when it's quite and with a little westerly. Oh , No lead. Summer, try peel S/West rocks and round at lazzerette gutter. And Mud in the winter for Snapper. more info if you want on my web page.

adrian
15-12-2001, 03:44 AM
g'day all
thanks phil
what the addressfor the web page ?
is there anything on the inside edge of morten besides the beacons and the wrecks ? any info would be great

Jack_Lives_Here
19-12-2001, 03:47 AM
Anzac,

I've dived the inside of Moreton regular and fished those same places. There is a drop off that runs from just north of Comboyuro to down past Tangalooma. It's about 150m off the beach and in sections it's a vertical drop from about 18m to 28 or 30m. It's mostly coffee rock and has hidey holes pocked in the wall all over the place. All sorts of critters live there. Some sections, the sand has covered it and it's a steep slope into about 28m. Your sounder will be a valuable tool to help get those live baits / jigs / lures right down next to the wall. Live slimies etc from round the shipping channel markers have given the best results.

I've seen some very big snapper, maori cod, the odd coral trout and the regular pelagics, so keep a floater out the back. As with most of that area, current is a problem and if you want to stay where the fish are some heavy lead is needed at times.

Move around and try a few spots along that section. Hope this helps.

All the best
Jack